Esphomelib - A comprehensive solution for using ESPs with Home Assistant

Good day Gents. Appreciate some guidance. I configured my first esphome component ( bluetooth gateway for Xiaomi sensors) and it works great. Issue is everytime I restart HA it offers to configure again although the component is still there and working.

Any instructions to prevent this?
Thank you

I think about doing that. Is it hard to start from scratch with docker ?

Im shure. Am I running home assistant in a pipenv when I used the image for Hassbian installation on a RP ?
I really donā€™t know anything about envoirments yet !

sudo apt install docker.io

Then run the command in the esphome docs

@OttoWinter I have recently discovered ESPHome. Thank you so much! I have already flashed Smart Sockets, Neopixel lights and ESP32-cams. Brilliant! Recently my cheap wifi sockets have been fitted with Winner Micro W600 chips. Any plans to do something with these new boys on the block?
Thanks

Hi @OttoWinter,

Iā€™m having lots of success with ESPHome - thanks for your very hard work.

I have started to use it to control a small 6 relay board, in turn to control my home wired security system. I have got a ESP8266 connected to a PCF8574. This gives me enough pins to simulate pushing the keypad for the alarm system.

I only have only final issue - when I reboot the ESP8266 the PCF8574 quickly sends all the pins high, thus very quickly opening and closing each of my 6 relays. This therefore simulate unwanted button presses to my alarm.

I thought the option on the IC2 bus scan: False might stop this, but if the esp8266 ever reboots it still does it.

Do you know of any way to disable this?

Here are the pertinent bits from my YAML:

api:

ota:

i2c:
  sda: 4
  scl: 5
  scan: False

pcf8574:
  - id: 'pcf8574_hub'
    address: 0x27
    pcf8575: False

switch:
  - platform: gpio
    name: "5 PCF8574 Pin #0"
    pin:
      pcf8574: pcf8574_hub
      # Use pin number 0
      number: 0
      # One of INPUT, INPUT_PULLUP or OUTPUT
      mode: OUTPUT
      inverted: True

Many thanks.

@Beantree No

@truxntrax Itā€™s because the pcf8574 is initialized before the gpio switches are, you can work around it by setting setup_priority values manually (itā€™s a hack):

pcf8574:
    setup_priority: 700

@OttoWinter

@truxntrax Itā€™s because the pcf8574 is initialized before the gpio switches are, you can work around it by setting setup_priority values manually (itā€™s a hack):

pcf8574:
    setup_priority: 700

Unfortunately it didnā€™t work. I tried 1700 and also 999. 1700 failed totally - the PCF8574 wasnā€™t detected.

Anything else I can try.

Massive thanks for quick reply.

Trux

Good day, first of all thank you for this component. Looking for a bit of guidance.
Im attempting to capture rf codes and then republish them via mqtt.
this gets me the codes in the console:

remote_receiver:
  pin: GPIO27
  dump: rc_switch
  filter: 4us
  idle: 4ms
  on_raw:
    then:
    - mqtt.publish:
        topic: tele/esphome/rfbridge/RESULT
        payload: !lambda |-
          return id(remote.rc_switch).state;

However, whilst I think the trigger ā€œon_rawā€ is correct, I havent been able to work out how to template the payload so that it pubishes the code that was the trigger.

Thank you

Could you share the hardware side of your project? It sounds interesting.

All Iā€™ve done is esp32 and added a heterodyne receiver/trans

connect to GPIO27 and I can pick up all 433hz codes.

The intention is to replace all other stuff, sonoff rfbridge, Open Mqtt Gateway, etc for rf sensors.

With the esp32 i can have the rf gateway, ble beacon tracker, ble temp sensor from xiaomi and more all in one device

but I want to simply capture the codes and re-publish them via mqtt. The binary-sensor in esphome only allows for capturing on and then executing auto-off. The issue is I use rf reed switches that have on and off, plus I dont want to define every sensor in esphome, Iā€™d rather do it in home assistant.

I know I can do templates, but itā€™s pointless in my view, when I can send it all to HA and manage it there.

1 Like

Iā€™m having an issue with the ESPhome dashboard as an iframe in HA showing all of my devices as ā€œofflineā€. My ESPHome is running in Docker on the same machine as HA.

Iā€™m honestly not sure when it started but a few weeks ago I noticed it but I never took the time to try to figure out why.

Iā€™m on the latest version of HA and on the latest version of ESPHome (I thinkā€¦v1.13.6) and I have flashed a couple of my devices with the newest version and they still always show as offline. But obviously they are online or I wouldnā€™t have been able to flash them to update using OTA. And they all work in HA.

Any ideaā€™s? Not a huge deal as everything still works but I would still like to get it fixed if possible.

I notice something similar. Iā€™m using hassio and it seems to be solved with the latest version of the supervisor.

Is that a reply to my post above?

If so, then I donā€™t use hassio, just regular HA in Docker.

It was working fine until a few weeks ago. Iā€™m not sure what changed then that might have broken it except for just regular updates of HA. I never even updated ESPHome until the last few days to see if it fixed it.

If you werenā€™t replying to me thenā€¦never mindā€¦:wink:

@finity can you get ota logs from the ā€offline" devices? I think the GUI code uses mDNS for detecting on/offline. I donā€™t know if that helps track it down.

Every one of my devices show as offline but, yes, OTA logs and everything else seems to work other than the little red/green & online/offline indicator.

I donā€™t even know how to start looking into any mDNS issues.

@finity yes my reply was for you but then if you are not using hassio then no luck.

1 Like

Can we please close down this year-old topic? Please start a new topic in the ESPHome category for new problems rather than continuing this topic.

@OttoWinter

Suggestion for home assistant integration popup box.

esphome

I could never get this to work, because I always thought that it wanted the url of the esphome docker container / server, not the actually individual devices.

Not sure how to reword it best, or if others found it confusing or not.

The text ā€œhostā€ made me think i had to enter the server url. Maybe ā€œhostā€ could be changed to ā€œesp device urlā€ ?

I think ā€œurlā€ is also misleading. Actually you need to either enter the hostname or the IP address of your ESPHome node in that field.

Would ā€œHostname / IP Adressā€ have led you into the right direction?