ESPMuse as a target/platform in ESPHome?

Hello,

many of you bought the ESP Muse bc its out-off-stock after Paulus postet on Twitter. ,-). I got one as well.

Has anyone build something for this box based on ESPHome? Would love to use this thing in Home Assistant. I know I can use it with Logitech Media Server. I would like to see a tighter integration with ESPHOme. Using the buttons, connect a display. Use TTS.

I rely heavily on Alexa for TTS output (“there is a window open”, “the garage door is open”, “the trash needs to go out”, …). Having a Muse for this would allow lesser cloud components.

I can envision to have it at least a s a platform defined, similar to the inkplate.

Thoughst?

Best Regards.
Ralf

ESPmuse Luxe FAQ - ESPMUSE - Raspiaudio

Mine arrived today.

As it will be hidden away in a pair of USB speakers that I use for announcements I reckon I’ll just stick with SqueezeLite. Installer is here for anyone wondering.

Not sure if I get this. So far I understand from SqueezeLite it runs a Squeeze Player on your HA instance.

Squeezelite is a software lms media player.

You install the software on the Muse-proto or speaker, it appears as a locally controllable media player in Home Assistant.

Mine arrived today. Got it on line eventually after realising I was trying to use a “power only” USB micro lead. Why do those things exist?

It’s in the bin now.

Balloob’s uploader worked without a hitch.

Had to look around for the default access point password (it is ‘squeezelite’).

Had a little trouble with getting my wifi credentials to stick. Not sure what went wrong but it’s working now.

Not discovered by home assistant but I added it manually without a hitch.

The tiny on-board speaker sounds very good but it’s not loud enough for my application.

I have to pick up an enclosure and a 3.5mm stereo jack tomorrow and I can replace the chomecast audio that I use for announcements. No more Google.

It would be nice to be able to monitor the wifi signal strength but I have not found a way yet. It might be possible as the info is available in the web dashboard.

Did you get the proto or the speaker thing?

Proto.

Me too, but hasn’t been shipped yet.

Hi all.
Got mine, uploaded, configured wifi, but cannot have it discovered by HA, automatically or manually with its ip.
Any hint?
I cannot figure anything to move on.
Cheers…

Use your phone to connect to the access point the Muse creates and connect the Muse to your wifi network.

After you’ve done that you should be able to manually add it using the SilmProto Squeezebox integration (core integration, not third party)

Hi Tom and thanks.
I was trying the Squeezebox (Logitech) integratiuon, and that (of course) didn’t work.
Tha slimproto squeezebox worked instantly.
Thanks a lot!!!

1 Like

Thanks that installer / slimproto integration worked well on the ESP Muse Luxe I just got to play with. Although has anyone been able to get TTS through Home Assistant Cloud or any type of TTS to work with it? I’m getting an error since the player doesn’t’ support HTTPS. Best I can tell is squeezelite doesn’t support it.

I have used tts with squeezebox integration.

Likewise:

- service: tts.cloud_say
    entity_id: media_player.squeezelite_5fef4
    data:
        {% if is_state('binary_sensor.lane_gate_contact', 'on') %}
          The lane gate is open.
        {% else %}
          The lane gate is closed.
        {% endif %}
1 Like

hi,

Got the same issue. Did you manage to play anything from your local files/tts?

I did but in a way I’m not sure I want to be my final solution or may not even be the best one. What I did was setup LMS (Docker Hub) and integrated that with Home Assistant. Then I was able to to point the ESPMuse to LMS which then created a new media entry in Home Assistant which I can now send TTS to as well as media from LMS. I think my problem is I use HTTPS for my internal home assistant network so when I was trying to send it without LMS it was sending HTTPS audio urls which I don’t think squeezelite on the esp32 supports, but now that I’m going through LMS I think the audio urls are just HTTP coming from LMS which it can handle. I haven’t verified all of this, but it’s my best guess at the moment.

1 Like

thanks for the quick reply! I’ll have a look.

When you say that you “setup LMS”, where did you actually set ip up? On your Raspberry?

I run Home assistant OS as a VM so I set it up on a different VM I use for docker. I’m not sure if there’s an easy way to run it on Home assistant OS or not.