Eufy Camera Integration

Big thank for the feedback jbrukardt :call_me_hand:t2:

The problem actually seems to come from somewhere else because I can no longer install an add-on :woozy_face:

I’ll try as soon as possible with an old backup :laughing::
Cheers

You might want to have a look at the supervisor logs (System tab, log window at the bottom). There should be some information about the error.

1 Like

I eventually went the portainer route cause i never could get the port accesses to work right on MaxWs, but thats something with my supervised setup. Max’s stuff works for like 90% of folks

1 Like

This thread is packed with information, but it’s a little overwhelming. Does anyone have a breakdown of the current implementations available? I know things constantly change, so maybe someone can do a periodic recap in case folks are just stumbling upon this now.

It’s my understanding that you can go with iobroker (actively developed) or the MQTT bridge (not sure about development on that). And iobroker itself doesn’t actually do anything other than talk to the camera. You still have to create the sensors in your configuration.yaml and add them to your array. Do I have that correct?

And it’s also my understanding that the MQTT bridge (which I can’t get installed, by the way. Maybe @MaxW can assist me with that) also does “nothing” by default. In fact, you need both a broker and a publisher. Because it’s more like a server/client relationship and you can’t do both on the same “add-on.”

It’s also my understanding that which route you choose depends on what features you want. Like livestream doesn’t work in MQTT bridge but does in iobroker. Or is that not the case anymore?

This is why I need a periodic refresher. Haha

6 Likes

I would also like a little help. This weekend my friends introduce me to the 2k wireless eufy and straight away checked If it could be connected to HA.

As per @littlemike is this still active if so what’s the best way.

Hey Max … your work looks so nice :blush: but I’m fighting an update for Hassio and Supervisor :thinking:

As soon as I know more, I’ll give you some feedback. If anyone has an idea, I’m interested too: o)

@littlemike @phairplay

The best guide is still mine at https://blog.fuzzymistborn.com/controlling-eufy-security-devices-with-iobroker/

If there is any information that is horribly out of date (I know the video stuff is but I haven’t had time to fix it/update it) please someone let me know. The ioBroker is still the most fully functional option out there, though I know some find the MQTT bridge easier and simpler to use, presuming you already have an MQTT setup going. MQTT is not very difficult to set up and there are many, many guides out there on the topic.

2 Likes

I currently have things set up using your guide, so thanks for that. Only issues I really have with it:

REST is slow as molasses. I’m looking for real-time. I think that can be accomplished with MQTT, but I have zero clue how to use it properly. Well, maybe a clue, but not much more than that.

I can’t get live stream to work whatsoever. I can get the camera to turn on via REST commands in iobroker sometimes. Half the time I click the button and it does nothing. So that’s why I was asking for a recap, because this thread has gotten huge and I don’t know if the issues I’m having are because those methods no longer work or if I’m doing something wrong.

Correct, the REST api requires polling versus MQTT is more of a push so it’s going to be much faster.

Yeah, if you read up a few posts above live streaming is working for some (I think) but I haven’t had time to mess around with it and get it working. It should work, but welcome to cloud things where it’s not 100% reliable.

1 Like

Haha you can say that again.

For me, I don’t have a lot of HA experience in the first place, so there are a few hurdles I need to jump to even figure out how to implement any of these solutions. That’s why the guide was helpful. Digging through this thread, I wanted to try out MQTT and had no idea that you had to have both a broker and a publisher. I know better now, but again, that’s what I mean by multiple hurdles. HA is great, but almost too featured in some ways.

Next thing to play with is Node-RED (another reason why I wanted to play around with MQTT)

Eventually I might be able to go doorbell->Hue lights flashing red->Google Home starts playing the Star Trek battle song. Haha

Let us know if you figure it out with node-red! My (wireless) doorbell is also unable to get any livestream. Oddly enough, the m3u8 path works fine in VLC when the stream has started.

Oh I’m still an absolute novice so far. But if I figure it out, I’ll let you know. Right now I’m actually working on a 3D floor plan and hooking up my Philip’s Hue lights to it.

Hey @MaxW, did something recently happen with your github repo? A few days ago I posted I couldn’t get your MQTT bridge addon to install via the Supervisor/Addon store. The reason was after adding the repo, nothing showed up. Today, all of your addons showed up. I know I have restarted HA multiple times since then, so not sure why it’s now working.

Maybe this means I can stop my manually launched Docker containers and use the addons instead. Yay!

All, wanted to let everyone know whos been looking to automate turning off/on their EufyCams based off Homeassistant triggers, thats this is finally working via @bropat and @fuzzymistborn s hard work.

the state variable eufy-security.0.CAMERAID.cameras.CAMERAID.device_enabled from eufy_security_client, which is exposed to home assistant through the iobroker integration works perfectly to turn the camera off from automation events.

Turning the camera off disables both live streaming, and recording.

To get this setup, follow fuzzy’s excellent guide for getting iobroker up and linked to HA

then in your config.yaml add the rest_command as follows.

rest_command:

# Enable/Disable EufyCams

eufy_CAMERAID_disabled:
    url: "http://IOBROKERIP:8087/set/eufy-security.0.CAMERAID.cameras.CAMERAID.device_enabled?value=false"
  eufy_CAMERAID_enabled:
    url: "http://IOBROKERIP:8087/set/eufy-security.0.CAMERAID.cameras.CAMERAID.device_enabled?value=true"

Then trigger this by whatever automation means you like.

I’m curious whether changing the Guard Mode via an ioBroker rest_command will work on indoor 2k cameras?

I have the sensors, rest_commands, and switches all set up (thanks to everyone here!) and they’re working great on the HomeBase 2 (near “instantaneous” with the 10 second polling). But the same setup framework does not appear to work for the indoor cameras (despite showing both ‘cameras’ and ‘station’ objects in ioBroker).

When I trigger the rest_command via the switch template for the indoor camera the new value is written to ioBroker and the change shows up in my HA sensor, but it doesn’t seem to have any actual affect on my camera (the security mode doesn’t actually change from Home to Disarmed).

I assume it’s either a limitation of the indoor cameras or it requires a different setup/syntax from what I’m using for the HomeBase.

Thank you in advance if anyone has suggestions (or can confirm that it doesn’t work and I should just move on).

Ive been noticing this one pretty heavily lately, i switch an iobroker setting (device_enabled) specifically, but it doesnt update the toggle in the eufy app under camera settings for a long time, if at all.

It works, the camera is definitely disabled, but the app doesnt reflect the state right.

Not a problem, just a point of awareness for folks checking the app to verify if actions went through.

hey, thats solely what im doing it on, 2k indoor cams. They have a station attribute tree in iobroker, so in function they kind of have their own little station built into each camera that addresses the mode rather than a global one.

Thats one of the annoying thing about the stock implementation in the eufy app. You want to switch to away manually? you have to go through every single cam and switch the mode. I have 10 cams.

See my post right before this one about the app not updating. I bet the mode is actually changing, but you’re not seeing the update in the app.

Perhaps, but the HomeBase stations update “immediately” when using an identical setup. I wonder what’s causing the difference in response (and awareness in the Eufy App itself) between the HomeBase station and the indoor station. I’m thinking about it like I think you are: the camera’s own station should be able to control the mode the same as the HomeBase.

I totally agree with you - would be great to set up a group switch/automation to set all cameras (or a defined group of cameras) at once with a single switch (HomeBase cameras and every-single-indoor-camera). Or an automation that sets all indoor cams to “Disarmed” when you arrive home.

To your knowledge, is there a “better” P2P Connection Type setting to use in ioBroker? My options are Prefer location connection, Only local connection, or Quickest Connection. I’m currently on Prefer local connection.

As noted, REST is a tad slow, but for turning cameras on and off thats no biggie. It sounds like someone is trying to get iobroker fully integrated with HA via MQTT, which would be awesome (and eliminate then need for the bridge, and having notifications on on your app all the time).

I know @bropat doesnt have any indoor 2k cameras to test on to the best of my knowledge, so this may be a quirk specifically with those. Im 110% available to give him guest access to mine if it helps in any way.

That would be great!
I’ve poked around a little with MQTT using the Eufy Home Assistant MQTT Bridge (that I added via Max W.'s add-on repository) as well as the MQTT ioBroker integration.

I’ve been able to pull down states from both MQTT clients and am finding the Bridge works well for the Latest image visuals.

I can’t seem to push anything back through, though, when setting up a MQTT switch instead of a rest_command. Maybe I need to try the “use different topics for set and get” per comment #428.