Eufy Camera Integration

Not sure what you are after so apologies in advance for the brain dump. I have four eufycam 2s on two home bases (for adequate coverage) and their wired doorbell.

Overall experience is the hardware is excellent, the software much less so. While the eufy support team is extremely polite and helpful, the product(s) are in desperate need of a coherent strategy and the software far better coding patterns and standards.

I have been extremely pleased with the performance of the eufycam 2s. They have worked without issue since i installed them. The person recognition AI is spot on (during daylight) and I just love having the ability to capture everything via RSTP on my NAS. I did try their HomeKit integration but ultimately turned it off. It is quirky at best, but frankly, so is my experience with HomeKit in general. Not an issue for me as i have moved almost exclusively to HA at this point. I am on the beta for the HKSV, but it is not ready yet, and my interest level is really low at this point.

The best I can say about the doorbell is that I like it more than the Ring. The person detection AI on the doorbell is mostly useless relative to the excellent performance of the eufycams. The doorbell does not support RSTP to the NAS (ugh). I have one of my eufycams also watching the front door as a backup. The eufycam gets 100% score to date while the doorbell is hit or miss, particularly at night. Looking on the bright side though, they must not be creeping my video to train their AI, otherwise it would work better.

As for the HA integration, it is still very new. I suspect that the lack of an API, along with the general state of the eufy secure software is hampering progress on that front. That said, with a bit of bodging I have a very useable integration, even at this stage. I get snaps from all the camera’s and have screen-pops on motion at the front door on my kiosk. Pretty slick really. Don’t know the long-term prognosis on the integration, perhaps one of the others can help.

All in all, the eufy secure stuff is very promising. Best battery camera for my needs by a long shot at this stage. But too early to tell if they will continue to get where they need to go. Eufy seems to be far better at launching new products than they are at care and feeding.

I ended up getting a starter kit wit 2 x Cam 2c and HomeBase 2, I’m quite impressed so far and the missus loves it. I haven’t tried the HA integration yet, but I would be happy with battery level feedback so I can use a sonoff or something to charge the battery when it’s low, and presence detection for automations.

Battery performance has been a pleasant surprise. I never expected to get a full year as advertised, but 3 full months in, it looks like I will get close. I am certain my settings and activity level are higher than their ideal conditions yet the cameras report far less than a quarter of the power used. Of course that could be just be overly optimistic reporting on the app. We shall see.

Hi Everyone - I just installed a Eufy battery doorbell & working to integrate it with HA using https://github.com/nonsleepr/ha-eufy-security in HACS.

I want to run automations based on states changes w/ the device (when some rings the doorbell, etc.).
When I look in ‘developer tools’, the status is ‘idle’ with a flurry of options (shown below)… any ideas how to know how to make an automation trigger here? I don’t see the status changing from idle to anything in HA…

1009: 0
1010: 0
1011: 1
1013: 1
1015: 0
1045: 0
1056: 0
1101: 95
1131: 1
1138: 9
1142: -47
1145: 0
1148: -1
1149: -1
1150: -1
1166: 0
1167: 0
1171: 0
1172: 0
1204: ey......
1210: 112
1225: 11
1229: 100
1230: 51
1239: 11
1240: 1
1241: 1
1243: 2
1246: 1
1273: 1
1276: 3
1277: 1
1401: 100
1408: 0
1702: 1
1703: 0
1704: 1
1705: 5
1708: 51
1709: 5
1710: {"notification_motion_onoff":1,"notification_ring_onoff":1,"notification_style":3}
1714: 0
1716: 1
2111: 2
99904: 0
100000: 2
access_token: 0e84..........
model_name: T8210
brand: Eufy Security
attribution: Data provided by Eufy Security
hardware_version: T8210
serial_number: T82.....
software_version: 2.2.1.1
watermark_mode: 1
device_upgrade_now: 0
push_msg_mode: 0
friendly_name: Doorbell
entity_picture: /api/camera_proxy/camera.doorbell?token=0e8.....
supported_features: 3
3 Likes

That’s not working yet afaik.

The latest camera event shows up in lovelace… just the state stays stuck @ ‘idle’…

1 Like

Right, there’s the image and the stream that work, but there’s no control over any of the camera settings (yet). @nonsleepr is working on something that will allow it but no ETA yet.

Anyone know if support for the button press of the doorbell has been added yet? I would like to add an automation with that.

No not yet. The only functionality that is currently implemented/working is the last camera image and a video stream (though I believe the latter is slightly temperamental).

@fuzzymistborn do you know how/where to get the live stream entity? the only entity i see available is the last camera image (which is fine for something, but was just curious about a live stream too)

1 Like

I haven’t used it in forever, but IIRC it was using the camera.turn_on service

2 Likes

Looks like Eufy is adding some indoor cams for very reasonable prices

Might have a bunch more people jumping on the bandwagon soon.

Does anyone know where the doorbell alert images are saved in HA? I thought about doing some facial recognition w/ Amazon Rekognition or alert automations, but I can’t figure out where the images are saved, if at all, in HA. Thanks.

1 Like

They aren’t saved afaik. You’d need to do a snapshot or something of the camera when the image changes (not sure how you’d detect that).

how do you get vid stream to work? Is it really not possible to access these cameras directly via ip and port? Really was happy about these cams but now seems usless if the eufy server goes down.

So you use the camera.turn_on service. However I just tried this and it didn’t work so I’m not sure if something’s broken in more recent versions of HASS.

Unless the camera supports something like RTSP then no there is no way to directly access the stream from an IP/port. This is a limitation of all cloud-based web cameras.

Yea, I am seeing same same about starting the service and it not working.
I guess that was one thing i did not research before buying these floodlight cam’s. I think i was blinded buy the price of only $89.99 usd
i really do not like having to rely on someone else’s cloud. Does anyone know if these can be flashed with tasmota or something to regain control?

Mine did start working after a bit but it’s not perfect.

AFAIK this is not possible.

Just to pass along, I found this when looking how to reset my doorbell (went offline and couldn’t get it back): https://community.openhab.org/t/new-binding-eufy-doorbell/89513/26

1. Looks like OpenHAB has a dev working on this too and got pretty far.
  2. But more importantly, looks like Eufy changed things up so we’ll need to delve back in again.
1 Like

Ouch, i was about to buy this doorbell, but now when i’m reading, theres not much support in HA right?