Eve Aqua Water valve

Does someone no if it’s possible to integrate the Eve Aqua into Home Assistant?

I already paired it to Apple Home and it works, but it would be much better if I could control it with HA.

I read this:

But looks like valves are not supported yet. It also says that devices have to be unpaired from Apple Home to pair them with HA. This makes sense but I’m asking my self how it connects to HA.
Does HA use a Bluetooth connection for this? I’m a little concerned about the range.

I would also be interested in this…does no one have an Eve Aqua and HA?

I have both. Tried it but wasn’t able to link both systems.

Ha is not able to discover eve aqua

So for it to work in Apple Home it needs to be paired to an Apple TV and should be within BT range of one?

Yes, Apple TV but it also works with an iPad.

For anyone finding this thread, head over here to track progress on support of Bluetooth based HomeKit accessories.

TL;DR - homekit_controller doesn’t support BLE accessories as of December 16th 2019. It is planned, but the blocking bluetooth client doesn’t integrate well with home assistant. So the current priority is switching the IP client to asyncio then building an asyncio bluetooth client. But this is a long term effort. In the meantime, an Eve Extend bridge can allow home assistant to see Eve bluetooth accessories via WiFi.

This only helps for the device types listed in the docs, so at the moment Eve Aqua connected to Eve Extend would probably be detected but e.g. might only report on its battery status. It might be easy to add support the Eve Aqua properly via this method, but I can’t offer any solid promises. It looks like on Home Assistant’s side we would just model the Tap as a kind of switch.

1 Like

Hey there - just wanted to confirm that the Eve Aqua does report battery life when connected via the Eve Extend, but doesn’t have the ability to control the valve. I’d be happy to try and look at this and help if you point me in the right direction?

Hi @billclerico - funnily enough I added support for valves a few days ago. See here. It’s on dev now so will be in the next beta and then in 0.108.0.

Does this mean the Eve Aqua will work directly with home assistant or is the Eve Extend needed too?

Unfortunately not. I added valve support for an unrelated WiFi device, it’s just a bonus that it probably now works with Eve Extend too.

It does mean that when the BLE transport exists it will work as well, but such a transport is a significant amount of work.

I helped to write the BLE support in the blocking homekit client we used to use and had a working prototype for Eve Energy in Home Assistant, but as i’ve said before there were some severe limitations because of the interactions between asynchronous code running in HA, asynchronous code running in the Linux bluetooth stack and then trying to put a synchronous blocking code path in the middle of that with threads. With the HA homekit_controller code as it was when I started contributing it took 2 threads to get this working, per entity. I know there are users with 40+ homekit entities. Not only wasn’t it reliable, it wouldn’t have scaled.

Now we use a different homekit client that is entirely async. Unfortunately it’s IP only at the moment. That code landed in 0.107.0 and i’m spending this cycle mostly on support. But the hope is that now this foundational piece in place we can use aioble and avoid the threading layer that was causing problems. But this is a massive piece of work so is still a good long while away.

1 Like

that is awesome - thank you!!!

@billclerico obviously you’ll be the first Eve Aqua user to try it so please do take it for a spin before the release if you can - then if anything crops up there is still time for me to fix it in the beta.

I will try and give this a shot but can’t make any promises at this point! I’ve never run the dev install of HA so I could be opening up a can of worms. Will let you know if I’m successful.

1 Like

I’m also interested in using the eve aqua in home assistant. Can you tell me if it works for you? 0.108 is out, so no need to test it in dev anymore. I haven’t bought the eve yet, hoping you can confirm if it works.

I am also interested.

@Jc2k Quick update - the Eve Aqua valve is detected, but so far I have not been able to get the switch to work. I can confirm that I can control the device from HomeKit, but HomeAssistant isn’t able to. Other HomeKit devices (Rachio) are working OK from HomeAssistant.

Logger: homeassistant.core
Source: components/homekit_controller/connection.py:342
First occurred: 9:48:43 AM (2 occurrences)
Last logged: 9:51:03 AM

Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/aiohomekit/controller/ip/pairing.py", line 90, in _ensure_connected
    await asyncio.wait_for(self.connection.ensure_connection(), 10)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/asyncio/tasks.py", line 449, in wait_for
    raise futures.TimeoutError()
concurrent.futures._base.TimeoutError

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1255, in _execute_service
    await handler.func(service_call)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 213, in handle_service
    self._platforms.values(), func, call, required_features
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 412, in entity_service_call
    future.result()  # pop exception if have
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 600, in async_request_call
    await coro
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 443, in _handle_entity_call
    await result
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/homekit_controller/switch.py", line 66, in async_turn_on
    await self.async_put_characteristics({CharacteristicsTypes.ACTIVE: True})
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/homekit_controller/__init__.py", line 98, in async_put_characteristics
    return await self._accessory.put_characteristics(payload)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/homekit_controller/connection.py", line 342, in put_characteristics
    results = await self.pairing.put_characteristics(characteristics)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/aiohomekit/controller/ip/pairing.py", line 246, in put_characteristics
    await self._ensure_connected()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/aiohomekit/controller/ip/pairing.py", line 93, in _ensure_connected
    "Timeout while waiting for connection to device"
aiohomekit.exceptions.AccessoryDisconnectedError: Timeout while waiting for connection to device

Cheers @billclerico

So to be clear, you paired your Eve Aqua to the Eve Extend, then unpaired Eve Extend from iOS and paired it with HA. This worked enough for pairing to complete and a valve to show up in your HA environment.

And the pairing itself worked - because it’s only able to know to create a Valve entity if its retrieved the entity map over a secure paired connection.

All of that is very positivie in its own right.

But after that point nothing works?

It did for me - for months. I’ve had a lot of pain with my Eve Extend lately, and i’ve not had time to investigate why. It seemed to start intermittently refusing to join the wifi, or at least not be visible in Bonjour after starting up.

And all connections to it (even with e.g. curl) fail. It’s like its crashed.

Hello @Ernst,
I have made this workaround to turn on/off Eve Aqua from Home Assistant

• create an input boolean in HA (example: eve-ha)
  • expose this input boolean to Apple Homekit

Then in Apple Homekit:

• create a scene sc-eve-on to turn Eve Aqua on
  • create a scene sc-eve-off to turn Eve Aqua off
  • write an automation: if switch eve-ha turns on call scene sc-eve-on
  • write an automation: if switch eve-ha turns off call scene sc-eve-off

—> if I flip eve-ha in HA, the homekit automations will turn on/off Eve Aqua.

I am using scenes to turn on/off Eve Aqua because I could not control Eve Aqua directly in the automation.

Does this help?

2 Likes

Yes, thanks for your explanation. Will try it when I receive the Eve.

That’s a great workaround, thanks for sharing.

The only issue I see is that you won’t be able to track the state of the Eve Aqua in Home Assistant if you turn it on/off manually or with HomeKit.

Do you have an idea how to track the state in HA?
One idea could be to add more automations in HomeKit to turn on/off the input boolean if the Eve Aqua turns on/off.

Example:

• automation: if switch eve-ha turns on call scene sc-eve-on
  • automation: if switch eve aqua turns on switch eve-ha

However I don’t think this will work, because both automations would probably end up triggering themselves in a loop.