Eve Aqua Water valve

Sorry, I don’t understand what you mean here with “check for state changes” or is it just meant as heading for the things below.

So it’s a condition and not a trigger, right?

So you made the scenes in the Home App, and the automations in the Eve app? Are the automation made in the Eve App shown in Home too, so is it just a “mirror”. So in the end you have three apps involved: Home, Shortcuts and Eve.

Yes, it’s just a header

1 Like

Correct. The if statement is a condition.

This is the what I did

1. install Eve App
  2. with Eve App add the device Eve Aqua
  3. with Eve App /" tab Automation" / “SCENES” create the scenes on and off
    I created scenes because in the Rules in step 4 you cannot change the state of a device directly, but you can invoke a scene.
    I tried to do create the scenes in Home but I could not select the accesory Eve Aqua (weird)
  4. with Eve App / “tab Automation” / “RULES” create the rules (triggers) which turn on/off Eve Aqua when the Home Assistant switch is turned on/off

I have not implemented yet to update the Home Assistant switch when you use Homekit to turn on/off Eve Aqua. For this I am planning to use iOS Shortcuts.

1 Like

Would it be possible to control the valve from terminal using pi/nuc ble interface if someone wrote a script/integration? Or does the device have some kind of certificate that only makes it work with apple? I don´t know have homekit certified products work, to protect the apple ecosystem?

Just wanted to post an update about Eve Extend. My first Eve Extend had been really patchy with my home WiFi (Unifi). I recently resolved to reset it and try again. Unfortunately the usb socket came off the PCB. Not great.

2nd Eve Extend just arrived. I set it up exactly as before. Used the Eve app on iOS to pair each Eve device i have (the bridge itself + Eve Thermo, Eve Motion, Eve Smoke and Eve Energy) with my phone (not HA). Then used the Eve app to “move” each of those devices to the Extend. (So phone then routes all requests to the devices using the Eve Extend as a bridge). Then i used the Eve app to unpair my phone from the Eve Extend. Made sure to patch all the firmware levels (v 1.1 of Eve Extend claims to improve Wifi connectivity). Finally I paired with HA. It worked first time. Event notifications not only work but the reaction from the Eve Motion are nearly as fast as my Hue motion sensors (normally within a second).

Given my chronic lack of time for HA at the moment this remains your best shot at “good” integration of Eve accessories into HA, but I could do with more field reports from people using this sort of setup.

4 Likes

Awesome! I’ll give it a try immediately

worked nicely with my Eve Aqua, sometimes takes 5 seconds but it also shows battery state in HA. nice!

Hi @Jc2k. I just wanted to share my feedback about your method of connecting EVE devices to HA.

I followed your instructions to pair 2 Eve Degree devices (temperature+humidity sensors) via an Eve Extend. As you mentioned on another thread, setting up the Extend was a royal pain but eventually I got there. I now have the entities on HA and the values “appear” to be ok (the pressure entities are missing but that’s a minor issue).

Problem is: The updates. It can take hours/days to update a single value. And when it does it only updates some of the values. ie, it does not update everything at once (temp, humidity, battery).

At first I thought it was a range issue so I reset everything and confirmed that the Extend can update all the devices on a matter of seconds using the official app.

I tried attaching a debugger and increasing the log level. I can confirm that the Homekit controller update process is running every minute and values are being returned (unfortunately I haven’t been able to debug inside aiohomekit so I don’t know what’s happening after homekit_controller.connection.get_characteristics).

I don’t know what might be wrong. Maybe the Eve Extend isn’t requesting updated values from the sensors and keeps reporting back the last values known. Are there any debug categories I should enable besides theses ones?

logger:
  default: info
  logs:
    homeassistant.components.homekit_controller: debug
    homeassistant.components.homekit: debug

Btw, you also mentioned on another thread that to unpair the Eve Extend from HA we should use homekit_python. But in order to call most of the commands a PAIRINGDATAFILE is required. How can I extract this file from my HA system? It would be interesting to call the Eve Extend directly. At least I would like to experiment with it and call get_accessories and get_characteristic :slight_smile:

Thanks for the good work !

Interesting. I don’t have an Eve Degree device, though I have vague feelings a friend has an Eve Degree that is slow to update (even in iOS).

Not sure what we can do here - your debugging is flawless and there is nothing else I can think to suggest. The big difference between iOS and HA is that a real iOS device wouldn’t poll once a minute to conserve power, it would rely on events a lot lot more. So it doesn’t surprise me that the Extend is returning cached values. And at least with my Eve devices (like the Eve Energy) events are delivered and processed within a second.

The format of PAIRINGDATAFILE is broadly compatible with whats in .storage/core.config_entires… you should have something like this:

{
    "version": 1,
    "key": "core.config_entries",
    "data": {
        "entries": [
            {
                "entry_id": "sdfsdfsd",
                "version": 1,
                "domain": "homekit_controller",
                "title": "Philips hue",
                "data": {
                    "AccessoryIP": "192.168.1.1",
                    "AccessoryLTPK": "asdasdasdasd",
                    "AccessoryPairingID": "AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF",
                    "AccessoryPort": 8080,
                    "Connection": "IP",
                    "iOSDeviceLTPK": "asdasdasd",
                    "iOSDeviceLTSK": "asdasdasd",
                    "iOSPairingId": "1-2-3-4-5"
                },
                "options": {},
                "system_options": {
                    "disable_new_entities": false
                },
                "source": "user",
                "connection_class": "local_poll",
                "unique_id": "aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff"
            },

Ths stuff inside data is as it should appear in a PAIRINGDATAFILE. If memory serves its something like:

{
  "myeve": {
                    "AccessoryIP": "192.168.1.1",
                    "AccessoryLTPK": "asdasdasdasd",
                    "AccessoryPairingID": "AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF",
                    "AccessoryPort": 8080,
                    "Connection": "IP",
                    "iOSDeviceLTPK": "asdasdasd",
                    "iOSDeviceLTSK": "asdasdasd",
                    "iOSPairingId": "1-2-3-4-5"
  }
}

Hope that helps.

Hey @Jc2k !

I have recently noticed that both my Eve Degree sensors (temp+humidity+pressure) are now reporting every minute. When I first added the sensors (via eve Extend) they only updated when the temperature changed a couple degrees or when I pressed the button on the sensor.

What changed? the Eve extend has the same firmware. Does home assistant now works better with HomeKit devices?

This is a good thing but perhaps it would be nice to control the update frequency to save the devices battery. Is there a way to do so?

Thanks!

Hi - we have always polled once a minute. There haven’t been any changes on our end that could cause this. Only changes recently have been to add mappings (like for air pressure in the Eve Degree, and these didn’t touch the protocol/polling in away) and very specific compatibility patches around pairing.

In terms of customising polling rate, in theory you can do this:

Preview doesn’t show it, but the link is to a section called " Disable polling updates on any integration". However this will disable polling on the Extend, so ALL your devices on that hub will get slower polling. The caveat here is that I wasn’t involved in this work and I haven’t specifically tested it for homekit_controller.

The Eve Degree does support events for its Temperature and Humidity characteristics you might still get lots of data in your graph.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip!

I just checked it (weirdly the integration was in a zombie state but I managed to fix it by redoing all the Eve setup) but unfortunately this particular integration (homekit_controller) doesn’t support the “enable polling” option:

Is there some way to configure it manually?

Sorry to reactivate an old topic but I am quite interested to know where you all stand now ?

I paired the Eve Aqua to Home Assistant HomeKit integration. I use esphome Bluetooth proxy which I have near the Eve Aqua.

I see the battery, switch, some stuff about threads but I cannot find the default time the valve should stay on.

If I unpair and pair with Apple I can see it:

3 Likes

Is there any new info? I also paired Eve Aqua with HomeAssistant over the Thread and lost the ability to configure the default time for the sprinkler. Is there anyone from HomeKit Controller to check this? Maybe @bdraco

2 Likes

Hi there! Sorry to bump and old thread, but I just wanted to confirm if it’s stil possible to integrate an Eve Aqua into Home Assistant? And what entities are exposed?

I don’t use Homekit or any iOS devices… but assume I would need to pair it to HA via the HACs Homekit integration? Thanks!

I don’t have the device anymore and connected it to an Apple TV. it should work though with HomeKit Controller - Home Assistant

Homekit controller indeed. I connected it back ~2 years ago via eve extend:

It doesn’t expose much.
But I have to share that I have had a terrible experience with this device on HA. Keeps disconnecting, goes unavailable during irrigation, was highly unreliable for me - so I ended up replacing it with GiEx Zigbee Chinese for third the price. Apologies for the discouragement :slight_smile:

I appreciate your candidness! I also just ordered the Giex valve from Ali. Good to hear you’re getting a better experience with it, I find that encouraging. How did you integrate it into HA, I have a Conbee II and use DeConz, hoping that’s enough…

I have a ZZH! stick from the awesome folks at electrollama that I’ve been using for about 3 years now. I started with ZHA, but given the compatibility woes I migrated to zigbee2mqtt a few months ago. The awesome stability trick I can offer here is: leave the network open, but limit what can join - any device dropping off finds its way back, I haven’t had to reset or repair a single device ever since, and operating with 135 of them now.

I have 2 giex irrigation controls, one of them controls a micro-dip system for plants in pots, the second is hooked up to a six-way passive switcher (gardena 1197-29), so I ended up building something that have different timings for each loop (depending on sun-intensity), and also scoring them up/down based on actual weather conditions (giex soil moisture sensor) and forecast (openwearhermap).

It’s my first summer with these giex devices, it’d be premature to say whether it lives up to expectations overall, but reliability doesn’t seem to be a problem. Turns off and on in an instance, reports status properly, and exposes:

Apologies for the wildly offtopic reply :slight_smile: