eWeLink integration to use Sonoff

Sonoff is a very easy to use and cheap solution for sensors, switches, sockets etc. I am sure you know this.

It uses a software called eWeLink: http://www.ewelink.cc/en/
They provide API and SDK, but it’s beyond my skills to integrate it with HA.

Anyone who would be interested to give it a shot?

1 Like

Hello @maurello78,

You can already connect Sonoff to Home Asssistant but they need to be flashed.

Here’s a link to some of the firmwares available:
#1: https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Tasmota
#2: https://github.com/KmanOz/Sonoff-HomeAssistant
#4: https://github.com/xoseperez/espurna
#5: https://github.com/letscontrolit/ESPEasy

Personally I use Tasmota.

You can look on @DrZzs youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7G4tLa4Kt6A9e3hJ-HO8ng/videos for help on how to flash your Sonoff’s.

1 Like

I think he looks for help, (at least i would like a component) without flashing

@anon35356645 why should we have to rely on another cloud service to just turn on/off something at home?
I don’t think it will happen any soon but what when iTead decide to shut down the cloud?
And when your internet is down?

I don’t think it’s worth a direct Sonoff component, flashing is basicly: connect 4 wires plug to PC and press Compile button. Don’t be intimidated by the tutorials!

I held off on the sonoffs for a long time do to what I perceived as a complicated process to flash the firmware.

I was pleasantly surprised to do my first one in a few minutes and of course like that there is no cloud connection needed.

2 Likes

+1
That’s encouraging, same situation here, was pondering whether to flash or wait for ‘official’ eWeLink component.

1 Like

As the others have said. If you have the knowledge to be building yourself a HA setup then don’t be afraid of the turorials. It is more straight forward then it may seem. Start by ordering one of these:

1 Like

@JTPublic you should flash it, even if you don’t use it with Home Assistant what is the point of having to send a signal to some cloud in china to turn on or off the switch next to you(?)

flashing does require different steps but they are the same “difficulty level”.
If manage to plug the 4 wires and connect it to eWeLink app you can flash it.

you will need 1 FTDI adapter the Amazon link from @vrt or this one from AliExpress are perfect

Thanks for the encouragement, aware of all the adv/disadv.
FTDI on the way :grin:

1 Like

If you run into trouble let me know.
I check the channel comments everyday and try to respond quickly.

I was intimidated initially with the process, but once you’ve done it you’ll see it’s not so hard.
Good Luck!

3 Likes

Thanks guys, yes i know the procedure to flash them and can for sure make it. I was just hoping there was a way to do it without touching the hardware because I installed several of the POW devices around the house in places not easy to access.

Have to come back and report, finished flashing Tasmota on 11 basic/touch over the weekend, it went smooth as can be and now I have them set up on HA(MQTT/RF buttons) and Alexa, I LOVE them.

Thank you for the encouragement again and I followed your youtube videos which saved a lot of potential frustration.

I did burnt one basic while soldering GPIO14, never was my forte, green light does not come on anymore :sweat_smile:

Would you know if the T1 UK 2-/3-gang works for US corresponding boxes?

1 Like

Awesome!
I love hearing success stories!

I haven’t personally held the UK version of the T1. The US version “should” fit, but I watched one YouTube video review that showed some design flaws with it. I bought a T1-US to try but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Personally I’m pretty sure I’ll prefer the modified Basic (Zzonoff) over the T1. I just discovered how to use the other GPIO pins on the basic for other things, like a Temp/Humidity sensor, or and LED, or even a PIR. Working on that video now. Hopefully will be done next week.

Stay tuned!

2 Likes

I meant I have the Touch US 1-gang installed, the design definitely can be improved, but works great for someone who cannot solder and wife-approval :grin:
Love what you did with basic+touch button, brilliant !!

1 Like

Just looking at the images it doesn’t look like the UK version will fit in a US box.

Oh well, guess I’ll have to keep looking for other n-way solutions then.
Thanks

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting these ewlink light switches to control my lights with home assistant. I would go with different ones but these are the only ones that have a 4 gang model. The rest are all 3 gang max. Does anyone have any experience flashing these with tasmota for use with home assistant?

View Switch

The problem is that I dont want to buy one, wait 6 weeks and then have no way of using it because Tasmota does not work. I cant see any model numbers on the Tasmota github page and on the switches product page, there are no references to sonoff (although I have a suspision that the sonoff firmware will work on these based on what I have read above).

I just want to make sure if they will work after reflashing with Tasmota and if it is even possible. I would like button on the switch to work as well as the control in HA.

Thanks for the guidance. (im a noob :-))

You could be the first one ! :slight_smile:

I have already flashed two of them and are working fine by mqtt on Hass…

Despite agree with @JTPublic ´s point of view about using a cloud service and internet to controll something at home, @anon35356645 should agree with me by:

• People are loving Alexa and Google Home, and they are changing from their Vera, Smarthings and Hass just because they work straight fwd… So I think it is mandatory making this eWeLink conection to home assistant, giving us two options for connecting SOnOff components…
  • I really don´t know if Hass developers are interested in running two different paths; one for advanced users which want total controll without cloud services, and other setups for basic users that just want all thing running together the simpliest way ever.

Once flashed, sonoff can not run ewelink anymore!!!

I’m a big fan of HA and Tasmota and have over 40 modules (converted Sonoff to Tasmota) running in 2 locations. Two months ago I ordered “LX-WIFI-03O Wireless WIFI Smart Plug” from Amazon because they were the only ones in the US formfactor. (The same as @joachimpr)
After opening them up, I was very disappointed that there was no flashing header and could not find any Tasmota support, so I used the ewelink as a temp solution.
Now I see that @oliverdog was successful, I would be interested in the details, but i’m afraid it involves soldering to the Chip.
And in addition i’m reading that eWeLink doesn’t want people to change there firmware anymore and is making it harder by adding certificates to reflash.
So in this scenario I see integrating eWeLink into HA as the only solution.
Or is there another way?