Expected support for Home Assistant OS on the Raspberry Pi 5

Might need to correct myself here. Looks like 14nm lithography was already around since 2014 actually. :thinking:

So the new Raspberry Pi 5 looks like it uses rather a 10 year old process node in itā€™s ā€˜newā€™ design :grimacing:

Shipping devices

In 2013, SK Hynix began mass-production of 16 nm NAND flash,[23] TSMC began 16 nm FinFET production,[24] and Samsung began 10 nm class NAND flash production.[25]

Yeah, but having some 3rd party boards now, itā€™s a real pain with the OS. You only get either a crusty old Ubuntu version or you have to manage with unsupported Arabian build. Not sure someone at Nabula Casa wants to deal with that and support thatā€¦ Even I am thinking of just throwing them out, just for that reasonā€¦

What people love about Piā€™s isnā€™t the performance, you could just get a NUC-alike for that, but that just everyone supports Pis and they always get updates.

2 Likes

Due diligence is obligatory before buying a ā€œrandom SBCā€ - other than x86/64 devices they donā€™t share a common (software) base to build on :bulb:

That said my (H3) Orange Piā€™s had mainline support before the raspberries back in the days :wink:

If itā€™s about Armbian the mentioned RK3588 based Orange Pi 5 / 5B / 5 Plus are actually one out of seven devices with ā€œplatinum supportā€ :trophy:

If you taking about Nabu Casa here they actually just recently delivered HaOS for a RK3566 device (Home Assistant :green_heart:) and it is probably (much) easier for the team to port HaOS to a RK3588 with (almost?) complete mainline support than for the new Raspberry Pi 5 with BCM2712 that doesnā€™t have any mainline support by the looks of it (this very moment in time) :wink:

I mean good for that specific one, but itā€™s also almost double the price, for just a little bit more you get some Intel Mobile chip probably and the ones that cost less are always pretty much unsupported. And far more interesting for me specifically and probably many others is the compute module, thigh I donā€™t think you can get a compatible one for the Orange or Rock Pis, but thatā€™s what you need for the Yellow for example.

1 Like

Considering that almost 50% of HA users are on some form of Raspberry Pi and another 48% are on either x86 or on a VM, these weird 3rd party Pi clone boards are pretty much totally irrelevant and a complete niche thing. Iā€™d rather have NC invest time and money into what ~97% of the user base use:

(From here).

Absolutely.

1 Like

I see a $100 orange pi 5 with 8GB RAM on amazon, the raspberry pi 5 with 8GB is announced to be $80 - letā€™s see if that works out, the cheapest raspberry pi 4 (8GB) I can find locally are starting only at $95 and not the ā€œannoucedā€ $75(?) :man_shrugging:

But while a RK3588(s) based device can offer much more hardware wise compared to a BCM2712 (rpi5) not everything can be utilized (like NPU/TPU) when no software support is given making some benefits only a theoretical ones. :bulb:

Thatā€™s what I did. Not a Nuc but a used x86 thin client for $50 and another $30 for coral tpu to start the frigate journey :ok_hand:

And while it is a very solid device I got it is still quite power hungry (talking around 10W idle and up to 30W when busy) a RK3588 based device should be around 3.5 times as efficient (hence needing less than 1/3 of the power for the same task!) :seedling:

Like the Home Assistant Blue :large_blue_circle: and the latest one the Green :green_circle:? :joy:

The raspberries were actually never bleeding etch and since the beginning used quite old socs (didnā€™t they start with old-new stock from broadcom which were designed for cameras?) but as of today the boradcom socs found in the piā€™s look like they donā€™t even try to compete (or par) with rock chip or amlogic socs :man_shrugging: The usp always was the quite advanced software support compared to other sbcā€™s - but as time goes on many other socā€™s have mainline support and offer better price/performance ratio as well being more efficient. I expect the green got that specific rock chip soc also for that reasons :point_up:

Any way we might see a Home Assistant Red :red_circle: in the future which might be a more performand device - maybe build on a RK3588(s) - who knows :wink:

You are abviously not aware of the direction ML server farms are going and why Nvidiaā€™s failure acquisition of ARM was such a blow to them.
Real dedicated GPU/TPU power has Apple challenging that space with Arm and for Gflops/watt there is no equivalent even though AMD seems to be making better progress than Intel.

CNX-software just dropped an almighty piece of kit that yeah I am definately going to take the gamble, how support will be is another matter.

The RISC-V processor also supports up to 64GB RAM, as well as UFS 3.2 and SATA 3.0 storage, comes with an Imagination GPU for 3D graphics and a VPU capable of 4Kp60 H.265, H.264, AV1, and VP9 video decoding, plenty of interfaces, and the system can manage locally deployed larger-scale LLMs like LLaMA-65B without the need for external NVIDIA or AMD accelerator cards.

Its really interesting at the moment as the US CHIPS act has and is doing nothing apart from making China look at RiscV open source design and they are already producing.
The above is sort of a Mac Mini-ish with ML focus and if it does run a 65Bn Param Lllama2 model at that price range its pretty jaw dropping.

Its interesting where things are going but much ML/AI hardware hitting the shelves is following Arm AMBA designs and it is something the Pi5 falls behind with and maybe can be saved with its Pcie2.0/3.0x1 the above with the discount coupon should be approx $100.

@orange-assistant I think when the RK3588(s) gets full mainline which is likely in the next couple of Linux releases it would likely be advantageous for HA to support it.
I am not sure about images and having the maintenance than simply supporting a install and maybe a additional repo for support to any Bian install.

Note that the Raspberry OS released for the Pi5 does NOT include VLC Server. If you use VLC for remote access to a headless Raspberry, youā€™re out of luck with the latest Raspberry OS.

If you use VLC for remote access to a headless Raspberry, you are doing it wrong.

3 Likes

Do you mean VNC?

I think wayland and VNC donā€™t like each other and not all that sure on the current state of play.
There is the likes of GitHub - any1/wayvnc: A VNC server for wlroots based Wayland compositors but not sure what has been employed in the new Debian image.

DOH!!!

Yes, I meant VNC:

The version included with Raspberry is free, no matter how many servers you run. Everyone else including Windows and Linux get only five free server slots.

I have tried other VNC products but most just donā€™t work.

VLC, on the other hand, is another thorn in my ā€¦

1 Like

VNC seems to be a bit of a hit or miss thing. Personally I had good experiences with TigerVNC.

Yeah I think its the move to wayland and work will be required depending on how they have implemented it.
I donā€™t really use VNC on linux especially headless as just SSH, but likely its just a matter of time with the changes to the distro.

My experience is exactly the opposite. RealVNC has been rock solid while I could never get TigerVNC to work. What VNC viewer do you use with the Tiger server?

Iā€™m using TigerVNC as a client on my Linux desktop and Iā€™m running TightVNC as the server on my Pi. That combination seems to be working OK. I had some weird problems around the clipboard with RealVNC, thatā€™s why I switched.

Iā€™m eagerly looking forward to trying out Home Assistant OS on the Raspberry Pi 5. The combination of the powerful Raspberry Pi 5 and the versatile Home Assistant platform promises to be an exciting one. I canā€™t wait to explore the new possibilities it brings for home automation and smart control. Itā€™s a perfect match for DIY enthusiasts like me who love to tinker with technology. Let the home automation adventures begin!

I have a Pi5 ready to migrate from HA on a Pi4, be happy to participate etc

1 Like

yeah my Pi5 arrived today and Iā€™m keen to see how it handles HA, Frigate and my 4K security camerasā€¦ my Pi4 struggles so I need to pass a lower resolution through to Frigate for it to workā€¦

Is there a chance that once RPi 5 support does get added, RPi 4 users will be able to simply connect their existing SSD/SD Card to the RPi 5 & boot (RPi OS allowed this since basically forever now)?

Will be very annoying to have to reinstall the entire thing & then restore from a backup which takes hours even for smaller backups.

Last time I tried to restore from a backup I had to cancel it and just transfer everything manually to a new installation since it was taking over 3 hours without a way to see progress.

1 Like

Yes I have a heavily customized (with ALOT of integrations and ~300 automations) HA instance running on my RPI4 (tweaked endlessly sao the CPU and memory are still low) but so much looking forward to upgrading, I was thinking of also starting on adding video (most likely still a different machine to include instead of competety weighing down one machine) -

1 Like