Expected support for Home Assistant OS on the Raspberry Pi 5

Hello, do you have any updates? When Home Assistant OS will be available on Raspberry Pi 5?

2 Likes

Also patiently waiting for a rpi5 HA install procedure to be published :nerd_face: hardware on hand, ready to go!

2 Likes

SAME! Iā€™ve had my RPi5 for a month or so and am planning to move my current Homebridge Setup over to Home Assistant. Just waiting for HA RPi5 support!!

I received my rpi5 this week and am looking forward to moving my HA installation over as soon as it is available.
Currently I am running it on a Pi 400 as that was all that I could find when I started unfortunately I have been suffering some lock ups in my installation, I am thinking from over heating and there is no way to add a cooler to a pi 400 that I am aware of.
If the guys can get HA to run on the rpi5 I will suffer for a bit longer and move straight to that if not I may need to a rpi4 for the time bieng

I now have Home Assistant OS working on my Raspberry pi 5 :slight_smile:
I downloaded the develoment build and put it on SD card with Raspberry Pi imager.
It was not all smooth sailing because I setup my network credentials via Pi Imager but apparently those settings did not get applied when the development HAOS was written onto the SD card. So When I loaded the SD card into my Raspberry Pi 5 and booted it up I was expecting to see the device onto my network and that I could SSH into it. But that was not the case. So I purchased a micro HDMI to HDMI cable and hooked up my monitor. That was hard because the (4k) monitor was mostly complete dark with every two seconds or so a very fast flash where I could see the HA CLI. I had to film or take pictures of the screen at the exact moment so I could see what it said. I then had to look up exactly how to configure HA to connect to my wifi via the HA command line. But I succeeded in the end and I was very happy to finally be able to reach HA via the network. I was even more than happy that I could successfully import the backup that I made from my previous windows Home Assistant installation. I needed to move over HA from my windows computer because every update restarted the PC and at that moment HA was no longer working until I logged in to the PC and started HA again. Very happy that its now working from mi Raspberry Pi 5.

3 Likes

Lesson: use wired ethernet.

3 Likes

Ready to Go! :sunglasses: Iā€™m also waitingā€¦
I wanted to set up HA on my Pi5 nice clean and new over the Christmas holidays. Thereā€™s still a week until Christmas. But I donā€™t think that an official version will be released this year. or ?

1 Like

how do you install it? i got my rp5 and im new to this

Thats the howto.

and not sure what you used to host HA, but that can be configured to auto start easily also :wink:

I was able to successfully get the most recent development build of HAOS running on my new Raspberry Pi 5 today. I am not using it for anything other than some testing at this point, but it does appear the Devs are doing a great job!

good to hear! though I might wait a bit longer before I put this on my home system

1 Like

also the top 2 are officially provided by Rasperry PI foundation

How does it look so far? Mi Pi5 is waiting for deployment.

I am really looking forward to it, currently I have a Pi3 and it is really struggling with my deployment because of the many running services.

instead of HAOS Iā€™ll go HA in a docker, but have to wait for pi5 supportā€¦

I would have expected HA docker to work the day the Pi5 was released. Whatā€™s different about docker on the Pi5?

I am not using HAOS on RPi 5 for any ā€˜productionā€™ uses at this point. However, it is running very stably and reliably on my Pi 5. I am not stress testing it in any way at this time. My Home Assistant Yellow PoE is currently handling everything without breaking a sweat whatsoever, so no need to upgrade at this time. I am just experimenting with the Pi 5 for now. :wink:

You have to change one setting, and then it works fine in Docker on the Pi5 apparently.

1 Like

Installing network-manager will cause probs unless
https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager#Enabling_Interface_Management

• Set managed=true in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

Then install GitHub - home-assistant/os-agent: Daemon allowing to control OS features through D-Bus before running GitHub - home-assistant/supervised-installer: Installer for a generic Linux system

After that I didnā€™t bother going any further as the specific installers creating custom grub cmdlines seems the wrong way round to me, but hey.

I wouldnā€™t expect Supervised to necessarily work, but supervised is not the same as docker alone.

The docker issues were a unexpected(by me anyway), but at least there seems to be an easy enough workaround for now.