Face and person detection with Deepstack - local and free!

Well done @robmarkcole. Really excited about this new update. :blush:

Kindly correct the custom model doc link to https://docs.deepstack.cc/custom-models

1 Like

Hi @Unthred, you can do that now with DeepStackā€™s new custom model APIs and @robmarkcoleā€™s latest update to HASS-DeepStack-Object.

@robmarkcole thank you for the update.
Iā€™ve upgraded via Hacs from 3.4 to 3.5 and the component doesnā€™t appear in HA. I.e image_processing.object_xxxxxxx doesnā€™t load.
Reverting to 3.4 goes back to normal.

oh wow cool I will look into it thanks

@OlafenwaMoses Thanks a lot for the custom model especially! :slight_smile:
And for the detailed video explaining how to prepare the dataset and train the model!
All went smooth, tested and working perfect so far.

However, @robmarkcole the addon (v3.7) is not working for custom model (it works correct for person detection on other cameras), hereā€™s my ha config:

- platform: deepstack_object
    ip_address: 10.0.X.X
    port: 5000
    api_key: 30667XXXXXXXXXXXX
    custom_model: lock
    save_file_folder: /media/camera/bike_lock
    save_timestamped_file: True
    targets: 
      - no-lock
    confidence: 85
    source:
      - entity_id: camera.bike_lock
        name: deepstack_bike_lock

Getting:
2020-12-21 23:56:35 ERROR (SyncWorker_3) [custom_components.deepstack_object.image_processing] Deepstack error : Error from Deepstack request, status code: 400

When testing the deepstack itself with:

import requests
image_data = open("/XXXX/open_2207-16-53-30.jpg", "rb").read()
response = requests.post("http://10.0.XXXXXX:5000//v1/vision/custom/lock", files={"image": image_data}).json()

It returns good:

>>response
{'success': True, 'predictions': [{'confidence': 0.95367974, 'label': 'no-lock', 'y_min': 0, 'x_min': 0, 'y_max': 250, 'x_max': 450}]}

Is the addon uses wrong api endpoint?

ā€¦

Tested now with deepstack-ui tool and it works ok (detects no-lock when thereā€™s not chain over the wheel):

Only not working from Homeassistantā€¦

UPDATE:
Fixed in recent addon versionā€¦

This is probable caused by caching on the clientside. This also appears if you display the latest picture in a picture entitycard in lovelace. Clear the cache on the clientside to see if this is you problem.

I created a custom component to handle the created snapshot files. It is now easy to create a animated GIF or MP4 from the snapshots. Also moving and deleting snapshot files is supported.
For use cases see:
https://github.com/robmarkcole/HASS-Deepstack-object/issues/150
https://github.com/robmarkcole/HASS-Deepstack-object/discussions/163

The custom component can be dowloaded at:https://github.com/jodur/snaptogif

OK just released v3.9 of object detection integration which makes it much easier to include saved images in notifications. You can now have a simple automation like:

- action:
    - data_template:
        caption: "New person detection with confidence {{ trigger.event.data.confidence }}"
        file: "{{ trigger.event.data.saved_file  }}"
      service: telegram_bot.send_photo
  alias: Object detection automation
  condition: []
  id: "1120092824622"
  trigger:
    - platform: event
      event_type: deepstack.object_detected
      event_data:
        name: person

In telegram:

3 Likes

Hi @johnolafenwa. Just an info ā€¦ Could you kindly tell us if the rpi docker version (ncs and non ncs versions) is still scheduled for next days/weeks ? Thank you in advance

Great stuff @robmarkcole. I canā€™t believe I only just came across this custom component.

For sending Companion App notifications you will have to do a bit of post processing on the saved_file key I think because if you save the Deepstack files in ā€œ/mediaā€ you have to reference the file with ā€œ/media/local/ā€ when sending the image in a companion app notification.

The companion app needs a link that is accesable from the outsite, therefore the recommended place is the www folder.

1 Like

Hi @jodur,

Yes, you are correct that the Companion app needs an Internet facing accessible link.

The media folder is however accessible externally, itā€™s just thatā€™s itā€™s authenticated; and the Companion App provides that authentication for you by default.

It has the added benefit of you not having your personal camera footage available by an unauthenticated endpoint - which the www is.

Give it a try. I use the media folder for notifications with an image already.

Hi!
Just started learning and using the DEEPSTACK add onā€¦
Lovely piece of software!
A Google Coral is on itā€™s way to assist my kinda old i7 6:gen CPU. :slight_smile:

Questionsā€¦

1. The taken snapshots are great but it is impossible to read the BOX typesā€¦
    Is there ANY way to enlarge them? When using Hi-Res snapshots they are even harder to read, if not
    impossible.

See pic:
Screenshot 2021-01-08 083111

1. When trigger is deployedā€¦ It sends 3 events for each snapshot. As seen above, 3 cars are found and
    tree events are sent. Why not include them in same event, or am I missing something?
        "name": "truck",
        "confidence": 58.838,
        "entity_id": "image_processing.deepstack_object_mot_parkering",

Next event:

"name": "car",
        "confidence": 42.285,
        "entity_id": "image_processing.deepstack_object_mot_parkering",

And the third:

"name": "car",
        "confidence": 83.301,
        "entity_id": "image_processing.deepstack_object_mot_parkering",```

I setup deepstack with the correct face detection variable in docker. This is on a separate computer from my HA. I can reach deepstack page fine and it says activated. I have the config added to my config.yaml and have the entity showing fine. No errors on reboot. I tried serving an image to the service but it eventually says that it timed out. I extended the wait to 60 seconds and it still fails. Below is the my config.yaml and my service call attempt. then the error below that.

image_processing:
  - platform: deepstack_face
    ip_address: 192.168.50.230
    port: 82
    timeout: 5
    detect_only: False
    save_file_folder: /config/snapshots/
    save_timestamped_file: True
    save_faces: True
    save_faces_folder: /config/faces/
    show_boxes: True
    source:
      - entity_id: camera.local_file
        name: face_counter
Service:
image_processing.deepstack_teach_face

Service Data (YAML, optional)
{
  "name": "JP",
  "file_path": "/config/www/jpface.jpg"
}

ERROR:

Logger: homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection
Source: custom_components/deepstack_face/image_processing.py:259
Integration: Home Assistant WebSocket API (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 5:42:03 PM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 5:42:03 PM

[140537795396032] Timeout connecting to Deepstack, the current timeout is 5 seconds, try increasing this value
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 445, in _make_request
    six.raise_from(e, None)
  File "<string>", line 3, in raise_from
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 440, in _make_request
    httplib_response = conn.getresponse()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/http/client.py", line 1347, in getresponse
    response.begin()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/http/client.py", line 307, in begin
    version, status, reason = self._read_status()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/http/client.py", line 268, in _read_status
    line = str(self.fp.readline(_MAXLINE + 1), "iso-8859-1")
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/socket.py", line 669, in readinto
    return self._sock.recv_into(b)
socket.timeout: timed out

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 439, in send
    resp = conn.urlopen(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 755, in urlopen
    retries = retries.increment(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/urllib3/util/retry.py", line 531, in increment
    raise six.reraise(type(error), error, _stacktrace)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/urllib3/packages/six.py", line 735, in reraise
    raise value
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 699, in urlopen
    httplib_response = self._make_request(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 447, in _make_request
    self._raise_timeout(err=e, url=url, timeout_value=read_timeout)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 336, in _raise_timeout
    raise ReadTimeoutError(
urllib3.exceptions.ReadTimeoutError: HTTPConnectionPool(host='192.168.50.230', port=82): Read timed out. (read timeout=5)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/deepstack/core.py", line 100, in post_image
    return requests.post(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 119, in post
    return request('post', url, data=data, json=json, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 61, in request
    return session.request(method=method, url=url, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 542, in request
    resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 655, in send
    r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 529, in send
    raise ReadTimeout(e, request=request)
requests.exceptions.ReadTimeout: HTTPConnectionPool(host='192.168.50.230', port=82): Read timed out. (read timeout=5)

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/commands.py", line 135, in handle_call_service
    await hass.services.async_call(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1445, in async_call
    task.result()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1484, in _execute_service
    await self._hass.async_add_executor_job(handler.job.target, service_call)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/config/custom_components/deepstack_face/image_processing.py", line 161, in service_handle
    classifier.teach(name, file_path)
  File "/config/custom_components/deepstack_face/image_processing.py", line 259, in teach
    self._dsface.register(name, image)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/deepstack/core.py", line 277, in register
    response = process_image(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/deepstack/core.py", line 124, in process_image
    response = post_image(url=url, image_bytes=image_bytes, timeout=timeout, data=data)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/deepstack/core.py", line 104, in post_image
    raise DeepstackException(
deepstack.core.DeepstackException: Timeout connecting to Deepstack, the current timeout is 5 seconds, try increasing this value

I want to do the same setup and not working at HA.Exact the same problem.

EDIT: You must go ti minimum timeout: 120. At the first activation.Now working for me.Just playing with automatations now.

Hi all, do scan_interval works?

I can manually call image_processing.scan service and it works. Now I need to run image_processing.scan automatically every 2 seconds but scan_interval seems doing nothing.

My config:

image_processing:
  - platform: deepstack_object
    ip_address: 10.10.xx.xx
    port: 80
    scan_interval: 2
    save_file_folder: /config/www/deepstack_person_images
    source:
      - entity_id: camera.mycamera
        name: person_detector

Hi all, latest release of deepstack-object integration add object_type which allows triggering and alerting on object types including vehicles and animals. This should simplify a few automations for people. Read about the types on https://github.com/robmarkcole/HASS-Deepstack-object#objects

@danyolgiax use an automation or script to trigger a scan

@jplivingston08 as the logs suggest, try increasing your timeout

@Minglarn I am aware of the issues with the image annotations, feel free to make comments on the open issues. For the events, it is up to the user to use them wisely, they are there for flexibility

@asknoone I enabled discussions on the repo, we have a section for Automations, if you have some good ones for notifications please share them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@robmarkcole - I did extend the timeframe to 5 minutes and still nothing.

Iā€™ve implemented a new feature on master branch of deepstack-object, allows setting a confidence per object name/type. It is a breaking change so I am looking for a couple of beta testers before making it an official release. Any volunteers?

@jplivingston08 anything in the logs? Might be an issue with the image you are posting

@robmarkcole
Thank you for the work! This integration is very helpful. I made a custom version off of it - please consider adding some of the features into your master:

• save image/box/object data into csv label file
  • combine face and object into 1 component
  • save cropped object images
  • save ā€œblankā€ images that did not have detections on them