"failed building wheel" repeatedly during installation

Hi all,

Just revisiting an install of hassbian on my Pi Zero W. Have been trying for months and a combination of lack of knowledge and crappy luck have never seen me able to actually get home assistant running on this device.

I’ve done the install that’s in the “Home assistant on Pi Zero W in 30 mins” guide, nothing happened after following the guide, entered the following from a previous thread

sudo hassbian-config install homeassistant --force

I can see the same error repeatedly throughout the installation…

error: invalid command 'bdist_wheel'

----------------------------------------
  Failed building wheel for cffi
  Running setup.py clean for cffi

and then

Failed building wheel for ruamel.yaml

and then

Failed building wheel for cryptography

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? After months and months of this, I just want to use home assistant!

Do a quick search on the forum on cryptography and you’ll find a solution.

@ConcordGE Thanks mate. Had a look and can’t find the crypto forum. Every time I feel like I know what I am doing, I find myself even deeper in what i don’t know.

From what I can tell, I don’t have Wheel installed. I also Can’t install wheel because I don’t have “pip” installed. Tried cutting and pasting a few lines from the web without much luck. It just feels like chasing loose threads where one leads to another.

I wish there was a guide called something like “So you have zero knowledge but will stick with this until it works (with pictures).html”.

At this point, after months of trial and error I feel like I’d see more success attempting to shaft myself with the business end of a hammer than getting Home Assistant running!

1 Like

What OS and Python version are you running?
I think python -m pip install wheel and then python setup.py bdist_wheel may help but there may be other issues.

@anon34565116 to be honest, don’t know what version of python. I just used the image at this link

https://github.com/home-assistant/pi-gen/releases/tag/v.1.5.0

I’ll give that a shot. Thank you

On the cryptography front here’s a post I made and @anon34565116 provided a solution Upgrading HASS venv from 0.91.4 to 0.92.2-Upgrade failed-Cryptography issue

There’s a number of other posts on this subject on the forum too.

That is part of the Hassbian install image. The official installation instructions are here.
If you reuse your SD card, be sure to format it with SD Formatter as recommended by the Raspberry Pi folks.

https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/hassbian/installation/

EDIT: It looks like you are using an old image.

Thank you for this @anon34565116 Reflashed the SD and had the same issues so I manually installed every package I could find and what do you know, home assistant!

Thanks for all the help. I wish there was a way to financially support the project