[Feature Request] SkyConnect - easy migration

I am very interested in migrating to the SkyConnect HA dongle for it’s combined Matter/Thread support. I currently use ZHA with a Conbee stick.

If possible it would be great to have a way to migrate from my current stick to the SkyConnect without have to re-pair everything.

It certainly used to be possible: this tutorial doesn’t work any more Backup and Migrate Your Home Assistant Zigbee Network! - YouTube

Not even considering the stick has been announced just yesterday, if you already have a zigbee stick, why would you want to migrate to a hybryd/hacky solution like SkyConnect.

I mean, having dual radio is fine to avoid buying additional hardware (although it still has to be seen if it will actually work fine, without caveats), but if you already have the hardware and a working setup, I don’t see the point…

Because I will want to transition to matter over time

Well, if the end game is to have everything on Matter, definitely going through the hassle to migrate your zigbee network from one controller to another isn’t worth it.

Just have the stick (or another Matter/Threads one) living alongside your current conbee until you don’t have any zigbee device left.

I think this will be the best solution. I’m just worried about interference

If you get some usb extension cables you can place them as far away from each other as you need. Which is best practice anyway if your device has any USB3 slots as those seem to cause massive interference.

Assuming that the Home Assistant SkyConnect USB adapter is based on an Silicon Labs EFR32MGxx chip and depends on zigpy/bellows libraries then if you are using ZHA it will be compatible with the upcoming zigpy-cli Zigbee network backup/restore utility that will be implemented using the new radio API for zigpy and will initially support Zigbee network backup/restore for Silicon Labs, Texas Instruments, and deconz (ConBee/RaspBee) based Zigbee adapters:

https://github.com/zigpy/zigpy-cli/pull/2

Suggest also check out this feature request for for ZHA Zigbee backups with related discussions/links:

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/zha-integration-to-do-nightly-backup-of-both-zigbee-coordinator-adapter-dongle-stick-and-zigbee-network-database/357558