Fellow husbands, unite!

While HA is growing, my automations, triggers, switches and sensors are growing too.
My HA built is way ahead. I have TTS, motion detection, face recognition, alarm, notifications, I even setup a tablet on the entrance! I have a whole list of things I am controling/monitoring/automating in my house.

What I am trying to say is that I love home assistant and it is part of my life for almost a year now. But, I dont live alone. My wife is here too. HA is also part of her life. It reminds activities for her, waking her up, informing about the weather to dress accordingly and I have many things that would make her familiar with an automated system as part of her life. Maybe even more -later- with a kid.

I find HA, and the way I have organized the views and switches, very easy to use.
BUT… I am having trouble with my wife… She is not using HA as I would expect her to. The only thing she does is to arm and disarm the alarm. Is anyone having this kind of problem?
I think HA is so easy, that she WOULD WANT to use it more often! OK, I admit I am a tech freak and I shouldnt expect her to use it as much as I do, but she barely does!

My thoughts are, if there is a way to introduce her to HA? Can I do something to give her the urge (wrong word?) to use it? Just think about it. If you are a husband, does your wife use HA? Same question goes to everyone, in any situation. Does your wife, parents, siblings or kids use HA? Can we give any ideas to each other to make it even simpler, or attractive, for people not so geeks as we are?

2 Likes

If your wife is like mine, she’s simply not interested and only sees it as a gimmick / something I “waste” my time on instead of spending more time with her.
No amount of “how cool is that” / “this could help you” will actually work.
In addition, the constant trying to make things better normally leads to minor hiccups which she doesn’t like.
(I’ve been trying to get her to “talk” to Google Home so many times, she’s just not interested)
The only thing she’s kind of got used to are the lights that automatically come on and off based on PIR motion sensors.
I’m trying to set up an alarm so this will be the next step for me, but I need to make it as basic / no frills as possible so that it simply works without her having to think about it and without requiring any additional steps for her.
Would like to hear other’s views on this though…

Thank you for answering. I can positively say that my wife is interested. She even calls me when I am at work and she notices that TTS didnt work (I have tts saying when a window is open or closed)
She wants the whole thing. The downside is she doesnt use it. She expects it to “just work”. I am not saying she MUST use HA… I just want to know everyones thoughts.

Sounds like her vision for your system is better than yours.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

It’s quite simple for me. My WAF consists of three elements:

1. Security
  2. planning
  3. wellbeing of the kids.

So I implemented the following features:

1. I run a script for sleepingmode: Gates are closing, lights are switched off, message are sent when specific door or window sensors are open.
  2. For her happiness i show the calendar on HaDashboard so that I don’t forget her important things :wink:
  3. When it’s bedtime for the kids, we are notified on the phone when the light is switched on in their rooms.

It’s just marketing: solve her daily life’s problems, if there aren’t any, create some (in her imagination, not real) and solve them. kudos guaranteed…

It’s your hobby, not your wife’s. Just make it work stable and, probably, some day you will feel the appreciation.

4 Likes

I hear ya… My wife has almost no interest in any of this. She refuses to use any voice control and sees the majority of it to be totally pointless. :frowning_face:

It’s not even the fact that there are any “hiccups” in the system…anymore :wink:. She just pretty much thinks it’s stupid to waste my time on.

1 Like

Process in our house goes something like this:

1. Start discussion on my next project trying to fish for ideas as I am ever hopeful that my next idea will be the one that finally gets my other half interested as opposed to just disgust at my pointless endeavours

2. Part of discussion throw out an idea which gets the “mmm yeah ok I think that would be quite handy”

3. I get excited start busily researching where to buy components how to implement code etc.

4. Over next few weeks bits start arriving from China or amazon. Try not to get put off by the “you’re not ordering more stuff for you’re shed project are you.” Me: “Yes dear for that thing we discussed remember?” OH: “no not really”. :confused:

5. The big reveal: all tested and hopefully bug free working. Excitedly start explaining what I’ve been doing and how it’s going to work and carefully highlight you won’t really have to do anything.

Best response I’ve had is “meh”. Most frustrating is “well what did you do that for?” Err because we discussed it and you thought it was a good idea :confounded:

Then so we try again.

Problem is the stuff that just works does exactly that so goes unnoticed. It’s only the stuff that wasn’t quite right first time that gets remembered and endlessly brought up as the reason that all home automation is pointless.

I might try making that point the next time the washing machine breaks… ? or not

1 Like

This is a great thread!!

My experience is no different. My first project was (probably like most) to automate a couple of lights that were already on timers. I was never happy that they came on at the wrong time most of the year due to season changes not to mention daylight saving time. Being my first foray into HA of course they didn’t work right for a few iterations so it wasn’t met with, ahem, approval. Now they work well and come on at sensible times, based on cloud cover as well as sun elevation but my wife just accepts that that is how it should be: ‘what’s the big deal?’!

My next strategy was to implement a garden irrigation system which I am quite proud of. It was a joint project as we dug up the garden to install the sprinklers and hoses etc. and the whole system works really well. My wife is really into it especially since I gave her a dash button to start it whenever she likes.

The trouble is she sees it as something entirely separate from everything else I do in HA!!.

I’m now working on door sensors, for fun I had it announce when the front door was open like a commercial alarm system. It drove her mad and I had to turn that off!!!

To be fair, she does like the morning announcement with the weather and a random one line joke :slight_smile:

For all you my peers, what provided somewhat of a turn around was when we moved house.
Until then it was always “why are you wasting money on useless things that don’t work well.” I’m going to ban you from buying more stuff :open_mouth:
Then we moved house. I took the smart switches off (to take them to the new home) and refitted the old dumb ones. Wife comes home on a dark night with hands full of shopping. And the she complained that the lights did not come on automatically.
Biggest victory ever, and whenever I’m told I’m wasting money, I make sure I bring this topic back into the conversation (albeit somewhat softly as getting head on against the wife always results in her winning :stuck_out_tongue:)
So sometimes it’s worth stopping an automation from happening just so the OH realises how useful it is :wink:

4 Likes

This is a great read :slight_smile:

Very similar situation here: when it’s implemented and works, well, that’s just the way it should be, or not?

I had a few things that helped me in some cases.

1. Her office is downstairs; so she needs to leave through the front door, go downstairs, turn the lights, both monitors and the printer on - preferably have the balcony light on while she’s going downstairs. Initially, I had it all set up as a shortcut (via the HTTP Shortcuts app to HA) on her phone. Worked like a treat and even turned the balcony light off when the sun was up high enough. Now I have installed an Amazon Dash button so she doesn’t even need to use the phone. Full approval and support! But I will get an earful in case it doesn’t work and she has to push four buttons instead of one, just like in the old days :frowning:

2. To change the timer on the drip system during the year I had to climb under the stairs and fiddle with it. Since I installed a solution using a WEMOS D1 Mini and a bunch of relays to drive it I don’t need to go there any more and she can even turn it on manually from her smartphone - reaction: meh! What’s the big deal? And a big deal it was to set up, I promise, especially setting up the systems so that it considers precipitation over the last week.

3. Ideas from her side normally come in when it’s about security, e.g. “Can you set up the lights so that they turn on and off at random times when we’re not home?” or “Can you have the alarm to automatically arm when we leave and disarm when we get home?”. And while the former was easy, the latter is still work in progress because I cannot afford for the alarm to go off because presence recognition doesn’t work fast enough - this would get my home automation budget slashed immediately :blush:

There’s a few more like “Pushing a Dash Button to trigger a timer when the washing machine is started and send a reminder to the phone after a set time!” but they are so simple (in her mind) that it isn’t really home automation - heck yeah: It’s just pushing a button and getting a reminder on the phone, duh!
“How difficult could this have been?”
“And how long did that take you?”
“Really?”

I am not married so I may not be much help.

The dog really likes HA as long as it dispenses food when he wants it. He does get upset when the food dispenser is empty. I guess I need to incorporate a low food level notification to my phone followed by an alarm if I don’t respond within 30 minutes. Call to the Sheriff Department for failure to feed the dog / animal cruelty after an hour goes by.

1 Like

It seems we are married to the same wife

3 Likes

From what I read, you guys are in worse situation than me. At least my wife likes the whole setup. My problem is how to get her to interact with the interface. I’ve never heard any phrase like “this is useless”, “what is this thing” etc.
Oh, my… I thought you could help me, now I am thinking I should help you!

2 Likes

In that case: Obviously she hasn’t any troubles with taking a few steps more to accomplish something HA can do automatically. Don’t expect her to have the same enthusiasm about HA as you do. But when a situation occurs that you (read HA) can solve a problem for her, don’t hesitate and fix it. The least she will do is appreciate you another bit more :wink:

1 Like

What I did to get my wife to interface with HA was to make it as transparent in her life as possible. She doesn’t care about dashboards/buttons. I set up an Alexa to control lights/garage door/ etc. Now she gets mad when HA is down and she can’t turn on a light…

I had my biggest win last night. We are converting our back patio on the back of the house to a “sunroom”. The electricians came out yesterday and did the rough in wiring. They put in a standard switch to turn on the overhead recessed lights.
Last night she got up to let the dogs out. When she came back to bed she wanted to know how I turned on the lights in the sun room. I told her that it was with the wall switch by the door. She got this embarrassed look on her face and said I opened the door two or three times trying to figure out how to get them to turn on and they didn’t.
She’s finally getting used to the house doing things for her and to asking Alexa to do things.
She will never say that she likes it, she gripes about me spending money on it. Gripes when I do a HA update. But then for some reason it’s my fault when the power goes out during a lightning storm too.

4 Likes

Did you remove all the light switches?

1 Like

Mine was “and what?” until I setup Homekit in HA and on her phone. Now she can ask Siri to enable the alarm, turn on and off lights or check our daughter room temperature. Now she’s asking for PIR and smart lights in every room :wink:

2 Likes

Lol no, just that she shouts from the couch for Alexa to turn on the lights to no avail.

my son is dating a young lady named Allegra. My wife gets frustrated sometimes because Allegra won’t turn on the lights. I’m just waiting for her to make that mistake when Allegra is over at the house sometime.

5 Likes