Fibaro heat controller - update

I have a fibaro heat controller with an external thermometer. I’ve set it up with the zwave climate component. But it never updates the state. neither the target temperature, the operation_mode, or anything else.

I can update by manually refreshing node, but that’s about it. Looking at this, I’ve tried setting up an automation to update, but I can’t get it to work.

In my automation.yaml, I have:

- id: fibaro_update
  alias: update_fibaro_heat_controller_bathroom
  trigger:
    - platform: time
      minutes: '/5'
      seconds: 00
    - platform: homeassistant
      event: start
    - platform: event
      event_type: call_service
      event_data:
        domain: climate
        service: set_temperature
      event_data:
        service: set_operation_mode
  action:
    # - data:
    #     entity_id: climate.fibaro_system_fgt001_heat_controller_heating
    #   service: zwave.refresh_entity
    - service: zwave.refresh_node
      data:
        node_id: 7 # Bathroom radiator

Though I’ve also tried refreshing entity (see the commented parts above), neither of which resulted in any updates.

I’ve also tried making a script, and calling that from the automation:

refresh_fibaro_heat_controllers:
    alias: refresh_zwave
    sequence:
    - alias: refresh zwave 7
      service: zwave.refresh_node
      data:
        node_id: 7

What am I missing?

Also, I do have thermometers in the room already, is there a way to use those as the sensor? They’re not z-wave, though, but they’re reliable.

Hello, first of all only update the entity, otherwise you risk overloading the node and then you do not receive anything anymore.
In Z-Wave node management I set the polling intensity to 10 of the heater, temperature and system entities.

For the thermometers you already have, you can use them but not within the climate, you have to create an automation to make them work together.

Hi,

Thanks @Rendeik ! And sorry, but here comes a bunch of new questions :slight_smile:

OK, so just using:

action:
    - service: zwave.refresh_entity
      data:
        - entity_id: zwave.fibaro_system_fgt001_heat_controller

would work in an automation? Or do I need to update each sensor (e.g.: - entity_id: sensor.fibaro_system_fgt001_heat_controller_temperature)?

Do you use both an automation and setting the polling in the node management? You wouldn’t happen to have your full config online, that you could link to?

Which z-wave node entity is the heater? The only one I have that looks like a “heater” is the climate.XXX_heating that I created. But if I shouldn’t use the climate component, I’m not sure which one is the heater (I’ve got the system and temperature):

So I’m not really sure how to set a target temperature without using the climate component??

You need to update the climate entity.

action:
- data:
    entity_id: climate.fibaro_system_fgt001_heat_controller_heating
  service: zwave.refresh_entity

but you, do you have an external Fibaro temperature sensor combined with the valve?

then:
controller_heating it’s the valve
controller_system I don’t know
controller_temperature it’s the external sensor

and all three put the polling intensity at 10 (10 minutes)

1 Like

OK, back after the holidays and been able to test a bit.

I think it works. I can change from either home assistant UI (even using the climate component), or manually on the radiator, and the change shows up in the UI. Temperature is also updated.

However, I also see a huge battery drain (it fell 1% in the first week or so, and another 38% in the week or so since I set this up). It could be because I was manually refreshing the node a lot while testing? I’ll keep an eye out.

In any case, thanks! I’ll update with any relevant news.

Yes, you have to bear in mind that every time you update the entity, you transmit all the data via zwave, this means considerable energy consumption.

Sorry, for digging up old topic. Yesterday I installed Fibaro Heat Controller on my heater, and addedd it to HA wia Aeotec Z-Wave 5gen. Got all bunch of components from it in HA, created climate card. I can turn it on and off (I can hear valve move), and also increase and decrease temperature (also valve moving). Of course I encountered same problem with not updated card component when I do this. I put the automation in use which looks like that now, and i got notification every time i turn on/off or change temperature, but HA is not updated. Im running HA 0.99 now.

- alias: Aktualizacja nastaw Fibaro
  initial_state: true
  hide_entity: false
  trigger:
  - event: start
    platform: homeassistant
    event_data:
      service: set_temperature
    event_data:
      service: set_operation_mode
#  condition:
#  - condition: template
#    value_template: "{{ now().strftime('%d-%m') >= '10-10' or now().strftime('%d-%m') <= '15-04' }}"
  action:
  - data:
      entity_id: climate.fibaro_system_fgt001_heat_controller_heating
    service: zwave.refresh_entity
#  - data:
#      entity_id: climate.fibaro_system_fgt001_heat_controller_heating_2
#    service: zwave.refresh_entity
  - data:
    service: notify.ios_iphone_bartosz

Also I have lots of Xiaomi thermometers, can I somehow “inject” its readings into fibaro heat controller? In fact I just want to have it like that for example: If temparature in first floor is 20 degrees C, turn valve off, if its below 19 turn it on, etc.

1 Like

I have the same question if I can use non-zwave temperature sensor. I tried using generic thermostat platform that allows to define sensor but it seems it doesn’t work with climate component.

By the way, when you switch operation mode of the Fibaro’s climate entity, is it changing or returns to previous state in a second?

I can turn off or turn on and I can hear valve is closing or opening, but if HA booted on “heating” it is always “heating”. If its ON and I turn it OFF, next reboot of HA will update its status to OFF, also if I refresh it from Z-Wave manage in Hassio it is also refreshed (dont know why it is not refreshed from automation). Also when moving slider of temperature in this example from 17 to 20 it stays on 20 on climate but on fibaro it is still 17. Updating entity by hand or by HA restart will update component, but not from automation.

1 Like

I think this is because you are trying to update climate. with zwave.refresh_entity. It can update only zwave..
I suppose you should use homeassistant.update_entity.

1 Like

Maybe it can help you.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/fibaro-heat-controller-fgt001-wont-update-set-temperature/40081

2 Likes

I have the same problem as the external sensor, but I solved it with an automation.