Fingerprint authentication via MQTT

The pinouts in OLED are different only because thats how I had mine hooked up when I was working on the code.

But looking at the code I also found:

“int fingerState = digitalRead(D5); // Read T-Out, normally HIGH (when no finger)”
I have to change it to D3 also, right?

Yes, definitely!

Done.
Now, the Green LED turns off after a few seconds.
At least I can see the following in MQTT Explorer.
But no changes happen when I touch the glass with my finger.

I am in Discord.

K i’ll hop on.

hello has anyone tried esphome yet?

Hello, everybody.
Anyone managed to get a working R503-S sensor? All night yesterday I tried to make it work. The sensor was added to the Home assistant, but it does not recognize fingerprints.
I connected the wires according to this diagram

1. I installed Ardunio IDE
  2. Installed all libraries.
  3. Programmed board. I used a sketch - https://github.com/EverythingSmartHome/fingerprint-mqtt/blob/7932eca880edb9827c6144aa71b4f3def8129d53/fingerprint-mqtt/fingerprint-mqtt.ino
  4. Configured HA
    But the fingerprint sensor does not work, the led ring does not light up. Home assistant does not show recognition events.

I’ve spoke to a few people who have used that sensor yes, make sure your pinout is the same on that sensor as the one from the guide, perhaps the pinout is slightly different?

My pinout is same as this picture

I connected the wires as in the diagram esp8266-3

Maybe I soldered the contacts badly, I’ll check it in the evening.

Solved.
I tried to install another sketch from this link. And it worked for my sensor.

I realize this is somewhat dated, but I’ve got all the parts needed for this particular project so I thought I’d ask the question here. Is this all possible to be done from the ESPHome add-on from within HA? Or you need to set this up through other means?

My only other experience with ESPHome is with the bed sensor project, which had everything all achievable from within HA and the ESPHome add-on.

Yes, ESPHome has support for fingerprint readers. Checkout this topic:

1 Like

Thanks, I did spend a couple nights going over that thread and experimenting with my hardware.

What I’m really confused about is that I have the hardware available to follow along with this thread, but the code/sketches here appear to require other software for uploading to the ESP device.

The other thread seems to have everything all within the esphome add-on in HA, but I don’t have the grow type scanner that seems to be required for that sketch.

Maybe someone just needs to slap some sense into me and tell me I’m better off picking up the R503 sensor for the other project and just get going with it instead of me trying to figure this out with a AS806.

An AS806 is not a grow sensor and will not work with the grow component on esphome. You might be able to add it via a custom component but you’d need to be able to write audrino code.

If you want something semi easy and fully documented then pick up an actual grow sensor.

1 Like

Yes as mentioned above, ESPHome now has support for Fingerprint sensors where it previously didn’t. Good luck with it!

Thanks all, just ordered an R503. Will focus on the other thread while waiting for the scanner …

nvm, got it working :slight_smile: fingerprtint is not the same as fingerprint :slight_smile:

Hi, can someone share his code for ha configuration yaml?
The code that creates the sensor?

Thank you

Hoping someone can help, I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to make this work…Something appears to be wrong when it comes to storing and deleting the user names. I have all the helpers created identical to the youtube video and I have copied and pasted all the appropriate scripts. Here’s my issue:

My setup adds a new user ID and name correctly and everything works UNTIL…I go to add another user. When I do that, it blows out the previous user, regardless of what new ID I’m using. The fingerprint device still holds onto the previous fingerprint but the database will not keep more than one. It just shows as “Unavailable”…Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I should be looking at to correct this issue?!

Update: So I removed the following service from the learn script and now it appears to be working…I’m no template expert so I’m not sure how this is affecting the overall automation but for now it’s storing the more than one name:

- service: input_text.set_value
    data_template:
      entity_id: input_text.fingerprint_data
      value: |-
        {% if states('input_text.fingerprint_data') == "unknown" %}
          {{"[]"}}
        {% endif %}