Fire HD 10 Kiosk Mode 2022

@illi Mostly just wanted to clear out anything I could that I wasn’t going to use. Even with the Fire Toolkit, I wasn’t able to get rid of all the Amazon apps, but no biggie.

Given Amazon’s desire to sell the hardware cheap in order to use it for selling and surveillance, I am taking as many steps as I can to prevent those behaviors. Also don’t want lockscreen ads interfering with fully kiosk.

Probably would have been just as effective to simply block the device’s internet access, but if for some reason I have to turn that back on, I’m more confident that it won’t suddenly update the OS and screw everything up.

Definitely not saying it’s something everyone needs to or should do…all depends on how comfortable you are with the default apps and behavior of the device. I literally just want a touchscreen to control HA, and nothing more.

Hi,

1. I’m using the Amazon Fire-HD 10 Tablet (wall mounting) with no access to the power button.
    there is any option to turn on the screen without the need to press the power button?
    currntly im using browser_mod to turn on/off the screen but it’s not 100% stable.

2. There is any option to use the built-in camera to turn on the screen?

Thank You,

Isn’t that possible in the paid version?

Paid Fully kiosk, yes.

1 Like

Thank You :slight_smile:

I strongly recommend paying for the full license for Fully Kiosk Browser even if you don’t need the extra features, to support the developers of this most awesome and useful app…

2 Likes

Has anyone had trouble with HA not loading in this browser in Fully Kiosk? I got the login screen, then have been staring at the HA logo on a blank white page. It never gets past that.

Is there a minimum Android browser version that HA supports? Mine is 5.1.1 (Fire OS) (SDK 22)

I get a warning "beware of the outdated Android webview, version 49)

1 Like

Fully supposedly throws that warning on all Fire tablets, because webview is locked in ROM and cannot be replaced. IIRC, there’s even mention of this on the Fully web site…

Well that’s ok then I guess. I managed to get it upgraded to v55 by doing all the FireOS updates. But still the same issue, plain white page with the HA logo in the middle, forever.

I created a dedicated User in HA for logging in from this device, are there special requirements it needs permission to? I have a dedicated dashboard that is NOT admin only, and I temporarily set the User account to be able to log in from anywhere (not just local network) in case that was an issue.

@schuss42

Did you find a solution?
I do have exactly the same behaviour.

I am about to order a Fire HD10, sole use will be as HA wall mounted dashboard. I bumped into this thread and noticed there are some problems with Amazon’s new FW? Is this still a recommended solution or should I look for another tablet?

I’m seeing the same problem. It was working fine on the previous version of Home Assistant, but the June update seems to have broken this in older browsers?

1 Like

I just bought a 2021 release fire hd10 plus on prime day and installed fully kiosk browser from Fully Kiosk Browser & App Lockdown Help - Fully Kiosk Browser

using Fully Kiosk Browser APK
ver. 1.50.4 (for Android/Fire)

I didn’t have to install google play and the only time the ad pops up (and goes away as soon as FKB launches (3seconds) ) is when I re-power the device. Other than that, use FKB settings to get the desired results.

This video does an ok job of outlining the settings.

(14) Fully Kiosk Browser TUTORIAL with Home Assistant on Fire Tablet - YouTube

He also goes over fire toolbox, but it is not necessary. hope that helps

1 Like

“This video does an ok job of outlining the settings.”

Did you intend to include a video link here, only that I’m in the same boat? Thanks.

yeah, sorry. This is the one I used:

(14) Fully Kiosk Browser TUTORIAL with Home Assistant on Fire Tablet - YouTube

Can anyone comment on the speed/usability of the Fire HD 10 when using FKB and HA?
I currently have a Fire HD 8 plus but that tablet just seems too slow for HA, quite laggy unfortunately. My Lovelace dashboard is not too big either.
I did cut internet for the tablet in the router, FireOS not updated since ~2 years but should not make a difference I think…

Have you debloated the HD 8? That may help.

I have 5 of the 2022 HD 8s and 3 HD 10s. I’m using WallPanel instead of FKB. I used the Fire Toolbox to completely debloat the tablets. They’re also cut off from the interwebs. No performance issues here.

I didnt actually, I was - maybe wrongly - thinking, cutting internet would be enough.
Let me revisit that and debloat the bloody thing :smiley:

Debloated the FHD 8, but that did not help.
Ordered an FHD 10, much better (I noticed also no difference before and after debloating). Still a slight delay but thats OK, WAF factor improved :wink:

FHD 8 up for grabs :smiley:

1 Like

I was reading all the posts and I pinch myself trying to find out if I’m dreaming or not.
Everybody seems to have NO Problems with Amazon Tablets and I have problems every 6-12 hours. It’s just a nightmare.

I’ve wrote another post with my problems and some thoughts on the following link

How comes you don’t have problems guys?
And why you don’t mention the versions you have??
HA version, Fire Os version, Webview version of tablet and FKB version.

Currently I am on
HA Version: 2024.2.1
Webview Version: 114.amazon-webview
Fire Os Version: 7.3.2.9
FKB Version: 1.54.1

All of the above are really important and I’ve gone trough a whole of a conversation and nobody is mentioning the above versions.

So that makes me to wonder, if I am the only one who has a problem and want to throw the damn tablets from window or there are others too ???

I have 2 Amazon Fire HD gen 9 (2019) almost 4 years now.
Internet access is blocked.
Most of the time, they worked properly.
Sometimes FKB crashed and tablet freezed but with a reboot it worked again…

But for 30 days now, I just have to face a night mare.

Probably something from the above versions is causing problems and as a result webview makes FKB to crash.
I confirm this from FKB browser logs after the crash has occured.

I can’t downgrade tablet and I can’t downgrade webview version.
(I already reset tablets, I was on version 120 and fallback to 114)

So I dowgraded FKB from version 1.55 to 1.54.1 but problems still remains.
So the only left is Home Assistant, but I don’t know how many version back I have to go ??? At least to try …

Am so fed up, I have done a tone of automatons with TTS, that also are in my native language (greek) and can’t use them anymore!!!
I can’t even use the cameras anymore…

I have switch to wallpanel app but as application is limited comparing to FKB.

So what are the options here??
Anyone has face the same situation like me ???
How did you face it ???

I’m desperate to listen for any suggestions to try as I have run out of ideas…