Fix Home location?

Hello

Thank you for taking the time to respond

I did create the home and arbahomew in the GUI and in owntrack swill test them today.

As i mentioned when I try to install the zones in the yaml i get the errors mentionned here above. It is probably a syntax error because if i go to and look at the devices i see zone.hoime and zone.arbahome

Again thank you

wbravin,

did you get this working? one thing I did was to install ā€œStudio Code Serverā€ as my editor, shows you more insight over ā€œFile Editorā€.

Many thank for taking the time to followup.

I had issues with owntracks , which i resolved yesterday.

It was giving me the wrong address for home. I uninstalled and reinstalled owntracks with the correct (and simplified ) coordinates.

In owntracks i have mapped 2 zones
home with these coordinates and a radius of 100 meters
and
arbahome with the same coordinates and a radius of 250

I used the same coordinates as part of the conguration.yaml you recommended. and i saved it
I checked the zone configuration in the settings menu

When i go to check configuration and restart home assistant. first i get the circlegoing round and round to no end then i click on restart and

I get the following error: Invalid domain zone.home

override Home zone

zone.home:
latitude: 46.145242
longitude: 12.794489
radius: 100
icon: mdi:home

zone.arbahome:
latitude: 46.15242
longitude: 12.794489
radius: 250
icon: mdi:home

in the automation i have a trigger device is my phone and the entity my phone leaves the zone. I can trigger this automation manually and it works however when iā€™m away (beyond the 100 meters) the automation does not run.

Once agin thank you

If you read DeltaNu1142ā€™s post again, youā€™ll see they put the code in customize.yaml not config.yaml

For this to work for you, youā€™ll need to set up your customize section like this under the homeassistant key in config.yaml

homeassistant:
  customize: !include customize.yaml

and then create a file customize.yaml in your main config folder, where you can put all non-UI customizations, not just for zones. See more here.

Also I would still start by creating the original zones via the UI before customizing them.

Trully many thank for you availability and quick response.

I did not understand this issue in the first place. oops my bad

I did add the DeltaNU1142 lines in the customize.yaml and saved them and restarted home assistant

I then added the line you recomended "customise: !include customise.yaml as follows:

Configure a default setup of Home Assistant (frontend, api, etc)

default_config:
unit_System: metric

Text to speech

tts:

• platform: google_translate

template: !include templates.yaml
group: !include groups.yaml
automation: !include automations.yaml
scene: !include scenes.yaml
script: !include scripts.yaml

when i check configuration i now get

When you say ā€œinside home assistantā€

Integration error: customize - Integration ā€˜customizeā€™ not found.so i put a # in front of it for now and restarted home assistant with no errors.

should i move all the !include xxxx.yaml under the defaut_config caption? you example is very different from what i have

BTW I did move the customizaion lines under the default_config caption and then checked configuration and it worked then i restarted.

Now i do not see any automations under setting and automation the page is blank yet the automation.yaml is populated

Once again thank you for your patience and teachings this is very helpful to me

The error message is telling you that customize is not an integration, which is true. Your other !include statements are for integrations.

This is why you need to put the customize include within its integration i.e. homeassistant.

If you donā€™t currently have an explicit homeassistant: key in your config.yaml then you need to add it first, then add the !include statement for customize.yaml underneath it, indented by 2 spaces.

Also, please check how to format yaml in your posts as it makes it much easier to see what youā€™ve done - you can do this by selecting your code, and using the </> edit menu button.

Thank you for your comments

I really do not know what i am doing in this file editor. However i moved thngs around (again trying to guess corectly) and so far i checked the configuration and it whenty ok and i restated HA. I will try tomorrow and go out to test the automation

thiws is what my configuration .yaml looks like at the momentā€¦ The automations, all the scenes and scripts are all there now

Thank you for your patience and help

default_config:
unit_System: metric
include: customize.yaml

tts:

• platform: google_translate

That is correct.

This is what that section of my configuration.yaml looks like:

sensor: !include sensors.yaml
binary_sensor: !include binary_sensors.yaml

[...]
# Packages folder setup for door locks, etc.
homeassistant:
  name: Home
  latitude: !secret latitude
  longitude: !secret longitude
  elevation: !secret elevation
  external_url: !secret external_url
  internal_url: !secret internal_url
  packages: !include_dir_named packages
  currency: USD

ā€¦maybe not 100% organized, but it works.

That stiill isnā€™t correct. You havenā€™t written the include statement correctly, and in any case youā€™ve put it in the wrong place under default_config:. To repeat:

1. Explicitly declare the homeassistant integration in your config.yaml by adding the following line (you usually donā€™t need this, unless you want to do things like use packages, or customize entities via yaml that you cannot customize via the UI):
homeassistant:
  1. Point to your customize.yaml file by adding the following include statement immediately underneath, indented by 2 spaces:

Taken together, the 2 lines should look like this:

homeassistant:

Hello

First let me apologise for my lack of knowledge and ignorance. Now i understand what you meant as a homeassistat key.

I did enter a seperate line and added as you mentionnedin the last example.

It worked

by that i mean that once i saved the file and proceeded to check configuration it work and i restaeted HA

I can i pay you guys a cofee or a beer as my simpole way to say thankyou and to show much i apreciaqte your help

Again thank you

1 Like

@DeltaNu1142 - Can I ask what problems you experienced when you were referencing lat/long indirectly via secrets.yaml please? I was about to set them up in my own secrets.yaml but came across your post and wondered if it is a bad idea to do that?

My whole issue (now solved) is documented here. All ā€œpersonā€ locations stopped working. At first I thought it was due to an HA core update, but later I realized that it was all because I had non-numerical values where HA was expecting lat & long.

Ah i see, thanks for explaining. Wow what a nightmare working through all that, but glad you got it sorted in the end!

Yeah, big problem, small fix. I seem to cause a lot of big problems by making little tweaks! Iā€™m starting to get in the habit of making them one at a time so as to catch them before I lose trackā€¦