Frient Smoke Detector / ZHA

You could do that the same way as described here:

But then just use the group trigger. And as an action you send a push notification via the service.

alias: "Smoke Detector Notification"
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - binary_sensor.frient_detector_smoke
    to: "on"
# duplicate the above if you have multiple detectors
condition: []
action:
  - repeat:
      until:
        - condition: not
          conditions:
            - condition: state
              entity_id: binary_sensor.frient_detector_smoke
              state: "on"
            # add further detectors here
      sequence:
        - device_id: # some random string of numbers, use UI or dev tools to find your mobile device
          domain: mobile_app
          type: notify
          title: Fire!
            Smoke Detector {{
            trigger.to_state.attributes.friendly_name }} has detected smoke!
        - delay:
            hours: 0
            minutes: 10
            seconds: 0
            milliseconds: 0
mode: single
1 Like

I just bought this smoke alarm (on Zigbee2MQTT recognized as Develco SMSZB-120) and it immediately joined my zigbee network (I am using Zigbee2MQTT and mosquitto). However, I can see that I donā€™t get the same options if I compare my entity screen with those of people have posted before using ZHA.

This is the smoke alarm overview:

While for instance, this was the overview posted by @thierry1956 using ZHA:

It seems that ZHA allows for more control of the smoke alarm?

Additionally, do you have any idea why the temperature field remains unknown even after 24h?

I had to reboot HA to get all entities with ZHA. Did you already try that?

Yes I have restarted home assistant but I think my issue is due to the fact that I am using Zigbee2MQTT and not ZHA. I am using Zigbee2MQTT because from the internet I have seen that it should support the same options as ZHA and even more but in this case it seems more limited?

The extra functions you see are non functional anyway.

The Smoke detector only supports one type of alarm/siren and not several as it seems to do from the ZHA implementation. And also the Strobe doesnā€™t do anything for the smoke detector.

Which brand is yours from? I have the ones from Frient and the temperature sensor works in ZHA and Z2M.

I also have the ones from Frient (but recognized from Zigbee2MQTT as Develco SMSZB-120). Zigbee2MQTT says that there are no updates (OTA) available for the device, so I assume the firmware should be the latest available.

These are the entities that the smoke detector is exposing and, as you can see, the temperature is always N/A, even after a week of being turned ON.

Have you tried removing it and fully resetting it?

Which Zigbee coordinator are you using? Iā€™m using the ZBDongle-P .

Yes, I just tried to reset the smoke alarm, remove it from Z2M and re-pairing it and I still cannot get the temperature value in Z2M. I can see on github that I am not the only one (SMSZB-120 missing sensors Ā· Issue #16244 Ā· Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt Ā· GitHub).

Which zigbee antenna are you using?

Sonoff ZBDongle-P with 20230507 firmware from Z2M devs.

I currently donā€™t have the frient Smoke detector, Iā€™ve had it in the past connected to Z2M and ZHA intermittently, so maybe I am remembering wrong.

New ones are arriving in 1-2 days, can test it when they arrive.

1 Like

I have 2 Frient smoke detector with ZigBee2MQTT, and it works fine, I can see the temperature, see below. Iā€™m using Sonoff dongle P as coordinator. No issue during pairing.

Thank you for your reply! I am starting to think that it may depend on the dongle.

My guess is that people who have the Sonoff dongle can see the temperature while people like me - who have the ConbeeII - can see a reduced list of entities.

I hope someone with a ConbeeII could shed some light to this issue to prove my guess is right or wrong.

I paired them today to my ZBDongle-P with Z2M and I can see all entities including temperature without issues.

Keep in mind the ZBDongle-P is one of the preferred coordinators as it uses the CC2652P chip that is broadly used and tested by the main developers of Z2M and of which they develop the firmware themselves. I am running with the 20230507 firmware and it is really stable.

Currently the ZBDongle-P is available on Amazon for ā‚¬20-30 depending on your countryā€¦

I am really considering to buy that dongle, even though it would still be nice to know if the issue with the temperature not being reported is because of the dongle :stuck_out_tongue:

I confirm that with the sonoff dongle then the temperature (and also firmware version) are correctly seen. So it seems that the conbeeII might be more ā€œlimitedā€?!

Conbee sticks use their own protocol. So implementation can be different. They also donā€™t support QR code based pairing, which is needed for certain brands.

As the ZBdongle-P uses the chip that Z2M is developed on, youā€™ll get the best experience with coordinators based on that chip.