Frontend color question after update to 2023.2 on Light Cards

Hi,

Annoyed on the change of the active light state color on the “Light Card” on this release.

• Lights that have the possibility to change color temperature shows up as normal with an orange/yellow tone as before.

• Lights that cannot do color temperature shows up as white/greyish instead of the “medium” orange color as before.

Example of the two:

This change makes it harder to see if the light is on on/off against the blue “Off” color AND the grey “Unavailable” color.

Example of that:

Checked out the new feature “State Color”, but was not able to solve this.

Ideas how to fix this back to as it was before?

Thanks,
AseKarlsson

4 Likes

Same here :cry:
Instead normal buttons are Yellow (when on) as usual.

Here bulb is blue when off, but instead of turning orange when on, it turns black.

Really annoying that the “on” color is suddenly black, as this is kind of the opposite of what is true.

Started with 2022.2.0 i think, and was not resolved in 2022.2.1

3 Likes

came here in search for an answer to same.
my button icons were yellow when on and lightgrey when off
now are bloody red on and bright green off.

HA is not alone in making random color and UI changes, it is industry standard to keep ‘improving’

If only a fraction of the frustration such a random UI change is causing could be casted on UI designers, they would die a painful death.

Very unintuitve change here, please reconsider!

1 Like

I think something was lost about CSSs because when grey color is visible there is a CSS style’s color not set as you can see in this pic: "image
"

A quick/dirty fix is to create a new theme in “frontend.yaml” as this:

card_light_dimmered:
  state-light-color: 'var(--amber-color)'

restart HA and set this Theme to each Light card you want.

Or using card_mod by setting to each card:

style: |
  ha-icon.light-button.state-on {
    color: var(--amber-color);
  }
2 Likes

Thanks for this tip!

In my configuration.yaml I got the following lines:

# Load frontend themes from the themes folder
frontend:
  themes: !include_dir_merge_named themes

What should i create in the themes folder that is empty at the moment?

Thanks,
AseKarlsson

@AseKarlsson just create a YAML file (which will be virtually “merged” all together from same folder) and put that inside it respecting indentation as usual for YAML files.
Then restart HA and set that theme to each card you want.

1 Like

Thanks, got it working :slight_smile:

If anyone find that this is fixed by HA in future releases, please drop a line, so this “dirty fix” can be removed!

Thanks,
AseKarlsson

Thanks but this is what makes HA suck. I’m all for improvements but WTF. 1 step forward 10 steps back. Thought their goals were to eliminate Yaml for stupid tidies things as setting a color for an indicator. Also nothing mentioned in the release notes or breaking changes of this. They really need to change how they do updates and go the path of how 99.9% of software is done. Their ways of doing things makes one never want to update in the fear all hell will break lose. Most SW will do bug fixes regularly and core features/changes less frequent and not part of any bug fixes. If this was a bug and should be a simple fix why after 3 sub sequential releases is it still not fixed.

1 Like

A lot of HA is volunteer coded. I’m not angry that it was broken along the way. I guess I’m more bothered that I’ve loaded two more updates since it was broken and neither of them fixed it. I keep looking at the changelogs, hoping it will be included.

1 Like

I also wonder whether the participants in this thread are the only ones annoyed by this change. It seems so obviously wrong - lights turned off no longer yellow but black in the ui - that I would have thought it must be corrected in the next point release without need for further discussion…

3 Likes

Maybe most of users are using Light theme, custom Themes or the new Light Tile (the one as horizontal slide) and not the standard circular card and finally there aren’t many people using Dimmers (most of shared screenshot I seen are regarding normal On/Off lamps and not dimmered ones).

Hello emandt, thanks for your ‘dirty’ fix, it has worked for me also.
I actually DO have a lot of Fibaro dimmers installed behind the wall switches and the Standard Circular card so it has been an annoying and disappointing system break/bug for me.
I wasn’t aware of the new Light Tile so I’ll explore that, thanks for the tip and of course the fix!
Btw, the CARD MOD fix you proposed wouldn’t work for me, thankfully you proposed the Theme fix.

Hi,

I am trying to impliment this fix, however it isnt working, In my configuration.yaml i have the folowing:

frontend: 
  themes: !include_dir_merge_named themes

And then i add the following to the currently empty themes.yaml file:

card_light_dimmered:
  state-light-color: 'var(--amber-color)'

However when i go to the light card, i am unable to find this new theme. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Hi @vantech2020,

The XXXXX.yaml file needs to be in the themes folder.
You also need to do spaces before the lines.
4 for the first line and 6 for the second line.

Hope this helps out!

1 Like

Worked a treat thanks!!

1 Like

Hi Chris,
If you’ve ever spent time using OpenHab you wouldn’t feel so strongly and frustrated :wink: I’ve been through NINE different systems over the years: Vera, Fibaro, Domoticz (open source linux), Jeedom (open source French linux), Hubitat, Homekit, OpenHab and finally settled on HomeAssistant.
Home Assistant leaves them all in the dust. Sophisticated, advanced, flexible, configurable and damn easy to get up and running. Stable too. I run it on a Home`assistant Blue box/hub.
OpenHab drove me mad after a year, geeky endless fiddling with code to do simple things… cocky arrogant geeky users spewing out jargon and obfuscation, updating a PIA… believe me, HomeAssistant is GOLD in comparison.
It’s very rare for an event like this to happenwith an update so although I’m generally a hothead, I would say stick with it, you’ve got the best system around. regards, Denis