Fully Kiosk Browser

Hello,

What’s the best way to turn on my tablet screen when my front door motion sensor has been triggered?

I want the tablet screen to wake and go to my frontdoor camera veiw in lovelace where it streams my frontdoor camera.

I’m very new to Home Assistant so any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Fire HD10 is on a wall that you pass as you go to answer the door. It would be great to be able to see who is at the door without having to wake the screen on the tablet manually.

Thanks

in my case i dont let it fall asleep and i change the brightness from 0 to 255 and back with an automation that is triggered by that motion.
and with a rest command you could also let fully go to a certain page.

Yes I never had any success with the screensaver. I also just dim to 0% but leave the tablet fully on. Otherwise fireOS takes over and does mean things to me.

if you use mqtt from fully (for motion detection, battery and all kind of other settings) the tablet needs to be on all the time anyway, or else mqtt cant work.

Thanks,

I’ll try the motion on the tablet. I haven’t tried that yet.

I’ve gotten it to open a RTSP url. It works well. You have to enable playing videos in the settings before it works, but then you can launch a video via the API like the following:

curl -X POST 'http://192.168.2.23:2323/?cmd=loadUrl&url=rtsp://192.168.3.52:554/proxyStream-1&password=YourFullyKioskPassword'
1 Like

Anybody had similar issues with the screen not staying off? I’ve turned off all the motion/sounds etc. but still the same.

I can toggle the screen, but when it’s off, it comes back on after a couple of seconds.

1 Like

then you probably did activate a setting for that.
its also possible to turn the screen on on other events (reconnect, etc.) if im not mistaken

hello,
Here is a screenshot of my Fire HD10 (9th gen) dashboard. Hope you like it.

I am very happy and proud for it.
I’ve been using FKB for a while. It works great.
Only problem is that sometimes, when screen is off the tablet doesn’t wake up.
Has anyone got the same problem? Have you find a walkthrough ?

I tried to disable the option to sleep the tablet with screensaver. Instead I dim the brightness to 5%.
It worked for a week, but then, randomly, it happens again.
Fortunately not very often.

Please share your experience if you face the same problem with motion sensor.

1 Like

I didn’t configure anything from set-up. It’s like something keeps waking the screen.
I’m going to try force screen off when it’s not charging then a smart plug to turn it one… Might be a workaround.

I’m going to share my experience, but it might be completely different from your case.
I also noticed that my screen was waking up at random times. I was able to trace it back to the tablet receiving notifications from other apps.
In my case, I’m using an ipad, in “guided mode” (that hides all apps, and just shows home assistant), but when I received an SMS/iMesssage on my account, the device would wake up but still just show the home assistant app.

2 Likes

Thanks! I got it working…
I removed and re-installed - no idea what was going wrong.

Next steps are

• TTS from an ‘Input Box’ within Home Assistant
  • Camera setup (face detection at a later stage)
  • Brightness controller within Home Assistant (on a slider)

This really leads me to wonder how many people are using Amazon Tablets. Im one of them!
But it seems I am the only one.
(I have experienced a never ending headache with Amazon tablet as it never wakes up from sleep, wish someone could help.)

i use them too.
save yourselve the headache, and just dont let it sleep :wink:

thanks for the reply. At least am not the only one :smile:
So you are saying that screen should always be on ?
Don’t you concern about tablet’s life or power consumption?

i use my tablets as wallpanel, so for me that means the equivalent from wallswitches (and more)
i want them there all the time, and up to date all the time.

i dont care about power consumption, because thats little anyway.
tablets life, yeah thats a point. but i dont think that tablets will have a very much longer life when its turned off at certain times. the only part where i really concern is the battery, but its loaded always.

at night i set the screen brightness to zero.

edit: by the way, i never experienced the problem, because i didnt let it fall asleep from the beginning.
i got the firetabs with adds. they only appear after the tablet is woken up. so another reason to keep it awake :wink:

Thank you for your reply.
I can help you get rid of the ads. It’s not that difficult.

I managed to get rid of them after I followed this guide:

It took me a while, but eventually I made it.
After I got rid of the ads, the next step was to setup FKB.

But I found that it has several problems with Fire tablets.
One of them, the one which gives me never ending headache still, is that some times (not always) when the screen is off, the tablet doesn’t wake up or if you prefer it doesn’t respond to the motion sensor.

On lovelace card, tablet entities show unavailable.

I have spent many days trying to solve this problem.

At the moment I have been testing blackout features of browser_mod and I also tried to solve the battery problem by installing a switch which automatically charges the battery when it needs and cuts off the power when battery is full.

Will keep testing but I would love to hear other users and their experience on this problem.
Because I don’t reckon I am the only one.

1 Like

i never even tried to get rid of them.
because the way i use the tablet i dont have a problem with them.

setup FKB is just install the apk.

like i said, i never let it fall asleep. so no problem waking up
i dont use lovelacecards, but HAdashboard, so also no problems for me.

and a switch to let the battery charge and discharge wont bring much.
its lion. it has a certain lifetime. that wont be any longer if its charged constantly or discharged every time.

Would you please export your FKB settings and share it with me?

that would probably do nothing for you, because i still run 1.37 and i expect you run a newer version.