Fun with custom:button-card

Excellent. My system is considerably smaller so my organizational needs are much less tiered but the dashboards.yaml separation that allows you to change the dashboards themselves and then just refresh sounds like a very good thing indeed.
I’m definitely past the point were doing things in the UI makes any sense. (I had been spending so much time in the Raw Configuration Editor anyway.)

Since my last comment, I’ve been organizing my yaml files and did end up using a dir_merge_list for automations so far. That went fabulously well. I haven’t split up my dashboard just yet though.
What I did have trouble on (and basically gave up on) was trying to create a “person_button” template that would work for all three of my people and show various locations properly. Here’s the current coding:

type: 'custom:button-card'
template: container
color: dimgrey
name: Indicators
custom_fields:
  buttons:
    card:
      type: horizontal-stack
      cards:
        - entity: person.russell_smith
          name: Russ
          template: standard-button
          type: 'custom:button-card'
          aspect_ratio: 1/1.1
          styles:
            name:
              - font-size: 0.47em
          variables:
            background_color_on: darkgrey
            background_color_off: darkgrey
            text_color_on: yellow
          state:
            - value: home
              id: value_on
              name: Russ home
              icon: 'mdi:home'
            - value: not_home
              id: value_off
              name: Russ away
              icon: 'mdi:home-outline'
            - value: ICC
              name: Russ ICC
              icon: 'mdi:office-building'
              styles:
                card:
                  - background-color: darkgrey
                name:
                  - color: slateblue
                icon:
                  - color: slateblue
            - value: ACC
              name: Russ ACC
              icon: 'mdi:church'
              styles:
                card:
                name:
                  - color: purple
                icon:
            - value: Linwood CC
              name: Russ Linwood
              icon: 'mdi:church'
              styles:
                card:
                name:
                icon:
            - value: 2ndHelpings
              name: Russ 2ndHelp
              icon: 'mdi:pot-steam'
              styles:
                card:
                name:
                  - color: brown
                icon:
                  - color: brown
            - value: Kalalas
              name: Russ Kalalas
              icon: 'mdi:human-male-boy'
              styles:
                card:
                name:
                  - color: saddlebrown
                icon:
            - value: Malumbas
              name: Russ Malumbas
              icon: 'mdi:human-female-boy'
              styles:
                card:
                name:
                icon:

and then repeat all that for each other person. It’s repeated exactly because today my wife visited at the ICC and her icon turned grey and unspecified, so I figured I’ll have to have all my zones implemented for each person.
What I’d love to do is create a “person-button” with all the state coding so it can be edited once and not duplicated over three people. I tried setting up another variable (person_name), but every attempt at using it would either show up literally: {person_name} home or as a blank. My efforts at following the use of variables in the code that already used the existing variables was for naught. Clearly I’m missing something.

It definitely should work. When you used the variable, were you putting it in a javascript template and using a return statement to return the desired string? For example:

name: '[[[ return variables.name + " home" ]]]'

I was close. I didn’t quite have it like you put it there. I’ll give that a shot…
…and it works! I just had to remember to put in the id: value_on and id: value_off items under the first two states.
Thanks one more time for your help.

1 Like

Hello… @ktownsend-personal Thank you Keith for having “summarized” the possibilities of button-card. I am using button-card features with templates a lot, it is very powerful… My dashboard is full of button cards (resuming nearly on one view what I have in 15 others), this is giving me back a lot of information for the two locations where I am using HA (alarm status, elements on or off, if some elements have automations and the status of these automations: on or off, problems, availability HA upgrades, status of connections on the network, electrical power consumption/production, AirCo/heaters status… I started to use button-cards a few months ago and I am still working on it to put more information in this dashboard…Here is a print screen of my dashboard… Wish you a lot of fun and satisfactions with button-cards.

5 Likes

My climate button is the most intricate use of the custom button-card I have done so far. The possibilities are endless :+1:

Hello, dumb question from nub. i bookmarked all your creation here and so far my lovelace looks great than before. but my question is can this button combined with fan control entity row to show a compact graphical control row for 3 speed fans ? thanks

Do you mean something like what I have at the bottom of the picture in the original post? It can be done with 5 custom button cards. One as a container for the other four. Check out the “Multi-option Button” section in the original post.

oh sorry, i didnt see there is fan option already at original post :sweat_smile:
will working out fan button next. thank you for inspiring, this is my result so far

Is there a way to get text to show up on two lines?
As in this post: name_template

That example is using show_label: true to activate the 2nd line of text. You can put different text there by specifying label: whatever text you want, or in their case they are using show_last_changed: true to get that value from the entity.

That’s what I needed. I’m going to have to dig in deeper to the code to see if there are other activators I missed.
Thanks again.

Thanks for the great write-up. The more I use Home Assistant, the more I find out what I didn’t know I could do. I have used the custom button card for a while, but never took the time to learn the power of it. Thanks for posting your templates. Do you have one that can be used to replace the built in badges? I use the badges for a quick glance at different sensors. The custom button, looks like it would work better.

I’m using my ‘alerter’ template for some of my sensors. You may find some inspiration there. I’m doing a flash animation when doors are open. I haven’t ever used the built in badges because they don’t look good to me.

I’ll start playing with it . I liked using the badges as they are small and give information at a glance. My first go at the custom button card was much bigger, and harder to place where I wanted it on my page.

I created a template yaml.file that gets loaded via the “package”. No errors when I check the config, but when I reference the template I get Button-card template ‘standard’ is missing! I tried different ones of yours, some others from other people and the lovelace button card never finds the template name. Obviously I am not understanding something and I have configured something incorrectly. Any idea on what?

@bschatzow, It’s not working because the custom button card templates don’t get loaded via “package”. They need to go in your raw dashboard config, typically at the top. If you use the UI to design your dashboards, first get into edit mode in the UI, then click the same 3-dot menu icon again and choose Raw configuration editor. I usually put it right below the title property. Just add a new property button_card_templates: and below it you define your named templates.

For detailed info on how to define templates, there is a good section about it in the documentation for the custom button card here . In general, you define the template the same as you would if you were using the element in your dashboard, but you leave out the settings that would change (like entity). Then, when you use a custom button card in your dashboard you simply refer to your template by name in the template setting and add the unique settings for that button.

I don’t have anything in my config.yaml file except different includes, package etc. Not understand why this doesn’t work the same as other sensors I load via template yaml files.

3d thread with the same question… instead of asking everyone, why not try to read the docs a bit more thoroughly? It’s all there

It’s because this isn’t a sensor. It’s a part of the Lovelace definition. (A completely different file in a different location.) The easiest way to edit that definition is exactly as ktownend-personal (Keith) describes above.