Genie Aladdin Connect Integration broken?

I have asked about this on Discord, and one other person said they experienced the same problem. Starting with 2021.10.5, my Aladdin Connect garage door opener has not been working. The opener still works and I can open and close the door with the app on my phone.

I have changed my Aladdin Connect password. I have deleted the information related to the integration from my configuration.yaml, restarted Home Assistant, added the info back into configuration.yaml and restarted Home Assistant again. There isn’t anything helpful in my log files.

I created an issue on GitHub here.

3 Likes

Broken for me as well.

Same for me. But only one of the openers with my account was a issue. The smaller door was fine.

I already have a Samsung SmartThings account in order to integrate my Emerson Sensi thermostat into Home Assistant.

I added the Genie garage door opener to my SmartThings account. It now appears in Home Assistant through the SmartThings integration.

Not the best solution, but it works for now.

I can confirm that this is broken as well. I dug into this a bit, running the aladdin-connect pypy package (GitHub - shoejosh/aladdin-connect: Python module that allows interacting with Genie Aladdin Connect devices) and it is not returning any doors. Still seems to be logging in successfully.

Next I manually logged into Genie Portal which is what aladdin-connect is webscraping or whatever and noticed that there were no doors listed here. Any ideas? Can someone else log into theirs and see if they have any doors listed? I tried to add mine through this interface with no luck.

My hunch is that they changed how the Android/iOS apps hit their back-end and didn’t keep backwards compatibility with this interface.

Same here for me. @warriorbax I believe you are correct. I logged into the Genie Portal and my door isnt listed now either and it IS listed in the Aladdin app. I attempted to add my door to the Genie Portal using the add on the Devices page, but when I do it throws the error (You have attempted to add a Serial Number that is not approved for this device. This may be by error. Please verify the exact Serial Number of your device and if you believe it is correct, use the Feedback system to contact us.)

I agree they must have changed the ios app and its somehow connecting differently and these doors no longer work with the Genie Portal and therefore dont work with HA.

As it turns out, the Genie door is terribly unreliable through Smart Things. It would be great if someone with greater technical proficiency than me could figure out what the Aladdin app is doing now and bring that knowledge into the Aladdin Home Assistant integration.

For the time being I have disabled the entities related to the garage door from the Smart Things integration and switched over to a Z-wave relay and a Z-wave tilt sensor for the garage door.

I would agree, seems to go to an Unknown state quite often for me. Anyone know how to sniff the app to find out where it is connecting to now that the Exosite is not being used?

I am running into something similar. One of my two garage doors just disappeared and no matter what I do I cannot get the integration to work again.

Add me to the list. My smaller door works fine, but my larger door disappeared /unknown in home assistant. The native Aladdin Connect app still works fine.

Hello all, this just stopped for me about 3 days ago. Everything was fine up to that point. I don’t see any errors in my logs just the devices unavailable. While they are showing active within the Alladin “app” itself.

I’m also experiencing the same symptoms as of two days ago. I’ll be following the github issue.

Edit: I’ve abandoned the Genie device and went with a Shelly1 per this article. I still need to install the contact switch to create a proper cover in Home Assistant, but so far this works just as well and does not rely on a cloud service.

1 Like

Strangely also running into this just in the past few days. It must have known I was preparing the shelly to get rid of it…

Just tried to set this up and cannot get it to show up in settings. no canvas at all in my setup when checking. Hoping they may appear randomly overnight…

So does it seem that it is just that HA needs to update the location of the API call?

https://pxdqkls7aj.execute-api.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/ (NOT https://genie.exosite.com/api/portals/v1)?

Interesting. My garage door just stopped working 2 days ago. Came here and found this thread. I had tried to get me door setup on the genie.exosite.com site and it wouldn’t work. It wouldn’t accept the serial number as others have mentioned.

Hopefully Genie/Aladdin just moved servers and we can get this fixed soon.

and just as a test, I updated my DNS server to rewrite genie.exosite.com to the AWS host, but HA still fails to login. Hopefully others will be able to figure out what’s going on.

Here is the PR with the fix(I tested it with my own door and my own credentials and it works fine):

I wanted to test it with HA(by replacing the python files with mine), but I don’t know how to enable the door in HA, because HA says that “This entity is currently unavailable and is an orphan to a removed, changed or dysfunctional integration or device.”

2 Likes

Thank you for the fix. Wondering if anyone has tried it with home assistant and if it is working OK now? Who maintenance the home assistance Aladdin integration?

Still not working for me.