[Germany/EU] Thermostat

I assumed you’re using the deconz software with your conbee. The rest plugin is included there. The GitHub project is kind of their public support forum where questions and bugs can be posted. So its a good place to check for device support

I’m using homematic (not homematic ip) and it is well integrated in ha.

I will receive the conbee device next Friday, and then I will use deconz, so probably I will be ok.
Thanks

@sota
I am looking for radiator valve (this one I think). If I choose it will I need their hub also in order to work with Home Assistant?

Yes, you will need some form of hub. Either the CCU3 from EQ-3 or you can assemble your own as I did with a Raspberry Pi, an interface board and the open-souce RaspberryMatic software. Either way, it’s been a completely reliable solution for me with 18 TRVs, 6 thermostats and various other devices.
Don’t bother with the old CCU2, it’s way too slow.

thanks
What is the difference between homematic and homematic ip?

here is a good article (only in german) about the differences

Thanks. although they seem more reliable (in a first glance at least) I think I will go with the Eurotronic, because I don’t want to spend extra money for the hub. Thanks again for the info

I have 5 of the eqiva BT3 thermostats (I also live in Germany by the way).

Since it’s often the case to have shared heating systems a wall thermostat is usually not an option so it has to be individual radiator valves.

They are good for the price (think I got them on sale at less than €14 each).

But as above, the range is pretty short.

I have one in the living room where the Pi is and have the Pi directly connecting to this one (along with doing bluetooth device tracking).

Then the one in the kitchen, hallway, bathroom and office (across 2 floors) are controlled by a Pi Zero W I have upstairs and connect to with the custom remote home assistant component.

So depending how big your house/wohnung is then you can either connect them all directly or use another Pi to spread the load.

I mainly just have them programmed via the Android app with a weekly programme though. Then use HA to occasionally tweak the temperature or enable boost etc.

There is a bug in the plugin at the moment though that I raised where you can enable away mode from HA but there’s no way to disable it again.

Battery life is good. They’re still going on the original batteries after about 18 months.

For anyone who is thinking on buying these, as been said before the range is pretty small. My Pi3 can’t reliably connect to one that is 3-4 meter away without a wall in between. Shame, otherwise they would be perfect.

I don’t find the range quite that bad.

As I said I have a Pi Zero W Upstairs in the hallway. That connects to one valve in the bathroom next to the door it’s plugged into, one in our office about 4 metres away and through a door, one in the downstairs hallway, and one in the kitchen downstairs a total of 8 or so metres away and through a wall and door.

It seems to be a hit or miss. The BLE link towards my rpi3 is not usable at all as it cannot connect reliably to it.
Great if it works well for you, for me it was an experiment to hook up the radiator to HA but it won’t be possible if it only works half of the time. At least I have the scheduling set to something sensible on the valve itself.

I’ve been using Homematic for many years without a problem. Excellent range and very reliable.

For best results I’d recommend a combination of HM-TC-IT-WM-W-EU and HM-CC-RT-DN for every room. Temperature measurement in the Radiator Thermostat is far from perfect. That’s why I extended my installation with the Room Thermostats.

I had a rather painful (and expensive!) journey from the Homematic Max! to Homematic to Homematic IP before I found a solution that works for me. Definitely, each room needs it’s own thermostat but I had one room with 3 radiators that had areas that were either too hot or too cold. With the HM-TC-IT-WM-W-EU and HM-CC-RT-DN this problem is solved.
One advantage of the CCU3 is you can put Node Red on it for easy automation which is what I have started to do.

Just installed Eurotronic Spirit Zigbee 4 units on Deconz. Works perfect.

Just some tricks when adding - only through VNC you need to click on atributes and “read” once.

Cool good to know those work. I should consider switching the Eqiva to this then.

When browsing on Amazon.de I noticed for some inexplicable reason the z-wave version is cheaper than zigbee.

Is there any thermostat with Zigbee support that actually fully works with Home Assistant? There seems to be issues with most if not all I’ve seen. Either cards not updating the status and temperature from the thermostat, or it’s not possible to set a specific temperature, or not use external sensors.

@nu1mlock I was looking for the same thing and found nothing.
I had some hope for the Eurotronic Spirit, but it is not working with external temperature sensor (either the Z-wave or the Zigbee version).
Best solution I found was to go with the Homematic solution, but it is not Zigbee or Z-wave.

Hey there,
I’m actually also struggling to add them to Deconz. I’ve read a tutorial that says I would need to click on the right dot of the device, then on Basic, then on Read. But: There’s no right dot, only one dot shows on the right side, when every other device has two dots. Do you have any idea what could cause that?
(deConz with ConBee on Raspi 4)

Thanks for helping!

Hey,
Im also from DE and im using the max!cube and max!thermostats for quite a while(think there called thermostat+) and they work quite fine with some limitations:
If your flat is too big you get ghost signals - i mean with this if u send a signal to one thermostat an other also fetch the message
BUT u can get a whole bunch of the on ebay kleinanzeigen at the moment for about 10€ per thermostat and 10€ for the gateway and there is also a bunch of funny stuff to buy for them too - like wallcontroll or eco switch…

Not saying thats the best solution - im also searching for better ones who work more reliably - but they are cheap and in a small flat they work great, perhaps adding a second gateway would eliminate the problem with ghost switching, but havnt tried that yet.

Grüsse und einen schönen Abend
Ps: mit homeatic gabs auch bissl sicherheitsprobleme demletzt wurde auf heise berichtet

Following up on my problem mentioned above: I could solve that by reseting them, even as they came straight from the package. Then the 2nd dot showed up.
If relevant for anyone: Amazon sells them today for 27.99€: https://amzn.to/2YRHqOB

1 Like