GivEnergy - Battery/Inverter + home power things

I’ve been speaking to the GivEnergy team to see if there is a way to connect to the invertor by Modbus, they say not.
But they are about to update the portal and the API to allow control of charging mode. Hopefully this will allow greater integration into Home Assistant.

Hi all, If anyone is interested and isn’t already, there’s a small developer community for the GivEnergy system and its discussing beta access to more info and control capability. If you are interested let me know and I can put you in touch with the Tech Director at GivEnergy.

1 Like

Hi Mark,
I just got a GivEnergy system installed and can successfully use their API to collect data from their cloud API. However the update rate is much lower than I expected. So I was looking if there was local access to the inverter. So if the community is looking at that I am very interested in taking part.

Would appreciate any more info you have or to put me in contact with the group.

Regards Tony.

1 Like

Tony,
If you contact Dan Lambert at GivEnergy on: GivEnergy Support [email protected] and ask to be included in the Developers Teams communitity I’m sure he’ll add you in. You need to sign an NDA, but once you have I can certainly share my Node-Red flows which allow me to control the system from within HA and extract various data stats.
It’s worth noting that the current limitation of 5min updates still exists, but is soon to be made configurable down to 10s (still via cloud) and then they are looking at different methods for local connectivity (MQTT or API), but that is still a way of I think.

Mark

Hey folks,

Sorry - I got distracted not paying attention to the forum!
As far as hardware connections go - if you plug in an ethernet cable onto their inverter, I THINK you maybe able to collect modbus data from it. I haven’t been brave enough to turn off systems to get it… so may call the installer back to plug in an ethernet cable for me.

Otherwise, random things on the to-do list:

1. I think it’s done, working okay for me.
  2. Last thing which I’ll attempt today is using the cloud API to set charge timers IF the weather is done (which involved me going down this rabbit hole of solar generation forecasting)
  3. Mostly done, a few calculations are buggy but on the whole it’s working nice and neat. :smiley:
  4. Well - on their dev community periodically between work, rabit holes and other distractions.
  5. Sadly haven’t been speakting to them to the success of the GivEnergy team. :frowning:
  6. Well, that’s on the to-do list still… innocent whistle

Hi @Bergals
Thanks for your hard work on this - I am interested in getting a Givenergy inverter but wondered if you, @britkat, (or someone else) has managed to control charging/discharging from HA.
PS if it is possible, it might be worth posting the answer in this thread] to help anyone looking for an inverter that can do this.
Thanks

@AP05TLE , We do have local control working now for GivEnergy invertors which allows both reading of stats, and discharge/charge control including timeslots etc… This currently runs as a Docker container and I use Node-Red to link into HA. One day I want get a native integration, but haven’t had the time yet.

1 Like

Thanks - that is great news. It is certainly very high on my shortlist now
+1 for a native integration if you find the time
Thanks again

haha. Again, I’ve been distracted (this time by holidays and general life admin). @britkat and the team have been doing a great job without needing to wire cables from the inverter. It’s working like a charm for me. I was about to start poking about ot see if it’d integrate with the native “energy” features now in HA. But alas the wife is calling me to help out with something else. :smiley:

Hi there,

I’m getting a Givenergy AC inverter & battery installed tomorrow, just wondered how the development is going and if I can test in anyway?

Cheers

Simon

If you contact GivEnergy in the UK and ask to speak to the developers, you should be able to get access to a dev environment. I’m running off local API (ModBus over TCP), so it could all work. :slight_smile: DM me if you don’t come right.

I also just had my SolarEdge/GivEnergy system installed and I would like to use the API.

when you say Contact GivEnergy, I am guesting that you sent a email to the support desk ?

has anyone used the API and if so what were you findings ?

Well, call the call centre and ask to speak to someone in the development team. :wink:
SolarEdge - I’m using this custom component: GitHub - binsentsu/home-assistant-solaredge-modbus: Home assistant Component for reading data locally from Solaredge inverter through modbus TCP

Hi
I’m currently scoping for my first solar /battery installation and one of my quotes has been a GivEnergy inverter and battery combo. Integration into HA would be a massive selling point for me, so thanks @Bergals et for the amazing work you have done.

Considering the negative vibes i’ve read about the GivEnergy portal and the slow data update rate, i’m hope that they support initiatives like this!

Thanks all
darren

Thanks Dazzy, but I can’t take as much credit as @britkat and some others have put in a lot more effort. I cheered them on and helped test a few components… and since got distracted by other things. :smiley:

I will come back and visit - since I am seeing occasional hiccups in my data collection (energy page shows 3000+kWh consumed or sent. Still gotta figure that out, and figure out how to fix the data for the random days this happens.

We’re currently refactoring GivTCP (local connection) with a view to being in a better place to develop a dedicated HA integration. No promises on timeframes, but a slicker way of getting data in, and eventually control is coming.
Today it takes a docker container, NR flow and some HA config.

3 Likes

Will the GivTCP local connection be retrofittable to an inverter installed a year ago with WiFi?

Yes, as far as I know it should work. Mine has been in for about 9 months and only has the standard wifi dongle.
You can test be seeing if port 8899 is open on the wifi IP address.

I am in the final stages of getting my GivEnergy system installed - battery and inverter in and working but the panels are not yet properly connected >_< nothing to do with GE…

I’d love to be able to integrate this with HA. I have been using HA for ages now but I’m no coding genius so honestly mostly rely on deploying what (you) clever people develop :slight_smile:

I am fluent enough in Docker but know zero about node Red so for now, I’ll watch this thread for developments and focus on understanding how the solar/battery eco-system actually operates irl.

Thanks to all of you and GE (I insisted on their equipment based on the excellent online support when I was asking many stupid questions during scoping) for making this happen - much appreciated!

Mike

We’re a friendly bunch here - unless I get low blood sugar (read: can be bribed with chocolate :wink: ), shout if you struggle with things - but you should come right without using node-red. I’ve got it as an interim step - I think i don’t need it anymore - but I’d have to reconfigure some sensors. A project for when I’m done with my current mission!