GoControl ZWave thermostat - show active state?

I recently replaced a wifi thermostat with the GoControl ZWave GC-TBZ48. It’s working great with Home Assistant including the Lovelace Dual Thermostat Card. The old wifi thermostat would display the activity on the card when it was running. The GoControl, with the either the default thermostat card or the dual card doesn’t show the state.

Is there a way to get the fan and mode (heating/cooling) as well as stage1/stage2 to show up? I started to do some research and see that there are Z Wave configuration parameter such as Parameter 22 - SCP Status that appear to contain the states I am looking for. However, when I attempt to use zwave.print_config_parameter is doesn’t seem to return anything. This also seems to be the case with any parameter that uses a bitfield.

Here is the output when calling zwave.print_config_parameter with {"node_id":"26","parameter":22}

2019-05-24 13:52:57 INFO (SyncWorker_0) [homeassistant.components.zwave] Config parameter 22 on Node 26: None

I don’t recall if it’s fan state or fan mode but one pulls the current fan state.

Same for operating state/mode to show idle/heating/etc.

Thanks! This mostly has everything. It’s a bit weird that the fan state, operating mode, etc. is set the same in the cooling and heating modes despite only one being active. For example, when the unit is cooling the fanmode and operating state changes from the heating entity as well.

This doesnt show the stage it is running at. Any idea how to pull the values from the bitfield in my original question?

EDIT: Here is the syntax for calling a zwave entity attribute in the value template which worked for me:

garage_motion_detector_battery_level:
        value_template: "{{ states.zwave.ecolink_motion_detector_garage.attributes.battery_level }}"

Did anyone get this working? I have this same thermostat and have been unable to get accurate readings for the fan or system states.

Mine has wired to the 24vDC, since the initial installation. I’m trying to figure out a way to graph runtime, but looks like the hvac_action and fan_action are always showing a value of ‘Idle’

Any help will be awesome.

Thanks

Mine is reporting the correct status on hvac_action and I have a history stats sensor tracking total runtime based off it.

Not sure about fan_action as I don’t monitor that.

Is HA getting any updates from the thermostat? If you change the temp at the thermostat, is it quickly reflected in HA?

Yes, updates are reflected fine.

Do you have a snippet showing how you’re getting the value of hvac_action ?

It gets pulled into a template sensor.

That then feeds some history stats sensors.

It took me forever to get the polling of fan_action working. Essentially, I have to refresh the z-wave node for fan_action and hvac_action to be updated correctly. I ended up doing this with an automation script that refreshes the node every 30 seconds.

I also messed with a lot of other things to get this going. For instance, I noticed that configuration parameter 23 “Autosend Enable Bits” was not editable in the default z-wave setting for this device. I changed this in the z-wave XML file, to make this parameter editable and put it to 8319, as described here: homeseer forum. But it could be that this parameter was set correctly to begin with. At the end the refresh node was still needed.

By the way, I got the idea here: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/gocontrol-gc-tbz48-z-wave-thermostat-cant-control-setpoints/5404/16. But instead of zwave.refresh_entity, I chose zwave.refresh_node.

Thanks for the update. A lot has changed on my end including switching to zwavejs2mqtt and as of right now it reports the proper status. I just set the temp low to force the AC to come on:

1 Like

Wow, that’s interesting. Would you say zwavejs2mqtt is better? Are you saying that the thermostat correctly updates hvac_status and fan_status without manually emitting a zwave refresh to the node? Would this indicate that the problem is not with the Z-wave implementation of the device but with openzwave?

1 Like

Did the migration to zwavejs2mqtt bring all these sensors in automatically? I’m fed up with the NEST integration and I’m looking to use this in its replacement.

Yes, the entities are all migrated in but they will have different names, which is easy enough to fix. Still very happy with the move to zwavejs2mqtt.