GoGogate 2 Cover

I had the V2… i found their support extremely unhelpful and software and hardware buggy, especuially on the networking side (reporting to their servers? No thank, I would prefer keep all my data and devices reporting to my own infrastructure thanks…) In terms of additional sensors, I also connected a cheap Xiaomi Open close sensor which I then let home assistant deal with in terms of redundancy open close sensing, but I have never had any problems with the Opengarage open close sensor… I also have a roller garage door… I think you also have to look at what you are actually paying for… Do the comparison between the 2 comparing things like cloud vs local processing, cost etc, and I think you will come to the same conclusion I came to…

Each to their own of course.

It took me a long time and a lengthy discussion with one of the European directors to get proper support for my v1 issues. I don’t think either side enjoyed the conversation (or the threat of legal action that finally produced results), but in my experience the same can be said of most product lines’ technical support.

I’ve had remote access disabled for some time as the HA integration is local.
We don’t use the GogoGate mobile phone app as everything is run through HA.
Sniffing traffic from my unit I can see external NTP traffic, (probably excessive) internal UDP broadcast traffic, and pings to my internal gateway but nothing else from my unit with remote access disabled.

My understanding was that that the GogoGate branded units are self contained units and process locally unless remote access is enabled - I’d be interested to know otherwise if you’d care to share specifics or point me to them online? I’m always keen to learn something new.

I bought the GogoGate v1 in 2014. I received the GogoGate v2 free in 2015. I haven’t paid anything in 6 years for the unit. Shipping OpenGarage units outside the USA proved slow and expensive due to customs charges and delays.

I’m not saying I’d replace it with another unit like for like - my infrastructure has moved on over time and HA offers many more options than I had back in 2014. Due to the size and shape of our garage and the type of roller door we have (it rolls up into a container above the aperture rather than back into the garage itself) there was no way to make the OpenGarage built in sensor work reliably to sense the door position.

$50 for opengarage, i seem to remember gogogate was 3x that. I had one issue with a firmware update and Ray sent me a replacement free of charge to uk from us no questions asked…

But as you say, each to their own…

Ive been using GGG in the UK since launch…going from a v1 to a v2 when released to give access to smart controls via Alexa/IFTTT

Initially I was using it via phone app, then Alexa and now it works well for me via Apple Watch/Siri via voice/shortcuts using IFTTT webhooks as well so in general I’m pretty happy with mine and it has worked well without issues.

Now im pretty new to HA, and just a few weeks in I’m quite shocked at everything Ive been able to do…and now Im turning my attention to my GGG and garage door alerts. Obviously the app can send reminders that doors are open, but it would be far better to do so using the multiple Echo devices around the home, espcially the voice announcements

Is there anywhere I can look for simple instrucitons on this and how we get the info from GGG to HA an onwards. In honesty im a bit lost with the boolean this and sensor that so in truth I defintely need a listtle assistance

Im guessings its a boolean thing from the little big of digging Ive done so far but couldnt get much more info. I guess it will facilitate the wireless sensors that tell GGG that a door is open but I cant see how to address that sensor or the door states from within HA

TIA

An easy way to control components in HA form alexa is to use nabu casa… all entities are automatically created in alexa once configured

trying to avoid an ongoing cost…but thanks for the recommendation.

Now sorted voice indicators and moved all control from IFTTT direct to HA to avoid further ongoing costs.

HASS is great

now improved my access even further by adding actions to my Apple Watch…I swear HASS just gets better and better all the time