Good night sweetheart Box

Hello,

i would like to introduce my project to you

i want to create a “Good night sweetheart Box”.

A little box based on a ESP 8266 with two LED Lights (green and red), a button Switch an an LCD (I2C) Display.

im often on business trip and my wife stay alone at home. So i want to create a box wo is located at her bed and do following:

on Press the button would turn off some lights , check some sensor states (windows closed, door closed) and arm alarm system.

At this time i have a lot of experiance of esphome, home asssistant and most of them works well but ive got some questions ragarding my project.

I want to realize this with automations in Home assistant and not in esp home.Is it a good way ?

Second question.

How ive good the messages on my LCD.
In the past, i use the homeassistant section to forward sensor states to the LCD attached on the ESP.

Should i use a text sensor to print out " Notice, the Bathroom window is open" if the binary_sensor.bathroom is in State “on” ?

Can somewone create a example for me how it works ?

whats about multiple messages ? (e.g two windows are open) Should i set two button ? an other for forward the messages ?

I look forward to hearing your suggestions

Greetings from germany and thank you

Ingo

3 Likes

Have you considered using TTS instead of putting the message on a screen? Might be easier for her. :slight_smile:

I’d never be done bevor.
That means a speaker on the ESP ?

Have a look at ESP8266 MQTT populated 0.96" OLED display

not I2C - but I used MQTT to send info and made the display “dumb”, just listening to its MQTT topic for what to display.

Then Home Assistant is the brains - you can send whatever you like to the display using automatons & MQTT publish statements

Hope it helps

Phil

Personally I would tie your idea to turning on the light in the bedroom or bath at whatever time is considered bedtime. This way she hasn’t gotten into bed yet and she’s doesn’t have to remember to press a button. I would send the alerts to her cellphone as text messages.

Again this makes the HA the brains as Phil suggested.

Ah, sorry, I ahould have been more clear! I guess I assume everyone who’s running HA is also going to have either an Amazon or Google device that would be suitable for TTS playback, although I think it would be possible to do i2c (or is it i2s?) audio out to a small amplifier or something like that. I already have a few echo devices, so I’ve used the “Alexa Media Player” integration from HACS when I’ve played with TTS.