Google Assistant voice not working for lights/switches Google Home App is (Routines do work too)

I have an issue similar to that reported here Google Assistant is not working - Google Home is however i have found that Routines setup in Google Assistant do work. I hope this isn’t a duplicate issue but as that one is a bit old and never reached a resolution i thought i would add this with the details of what i am seeing now.

I have Google Assistant setup using the manual steps in the documentation, this has been working for over a year without an issues but a few days ago Google Assistant (via a Google Mini speaker AND our phones) stopped responding to light/switch commands. E.g. “Turn on the Kitchen Lights” will return a response like “Sorry, it looks like 8 Lights aren’t available right now”.

What is very strange is that the commands work in the Google Home app using the buttons both on and off my home WiFi (I never got local Google Assistant control working due to VLANs and subnets). Also i have found that Routines do work. For example i have a “Boil the Kettle” routine that i have setup to turn on the kettle switch - this works without an error. If i say “Turn on the Kettle Switch” then this responds with the same “Sorry, it looks like the Kettle Switch isn’t available right now”.
I have tested this again by adding a new routine e.g. “Light up the food room” to turn on all the kitchen lights and this works fine.

When i get the error i can see nothing in the Nginx reverse proxy logs so Google doesn’t seem to be even attempting to connect to the lights. I have also checked the Google Console Logs for the Home Assistant action and nothing for the failed attempts.

I am running version 2020.9.7 and this version was working fine before i haven’t updated yet - i have rebooted, re-linked the Google Assistant integration but i am not sure what else to try. Has anyone else had this issue or similar and been able to resolve it?

I may try updating to 2022.10.1 tomorrow but i don’t think this will make a difference as the issue seems to be that Google isn’t even sending a request to my app when using voice commands.

For completeness I did recently have the issues with DuckDNS where their DNS records weren’t propagating but i switched to Cloudflare and Google Assistant was working after that i don’t see any reason why this wouldn’t be an issue as i am using my own subdomain (that hasn’t changed) which has a CNAME record back to either my DuckDNS address or my new Cloudflare one.

1 Like

It seems like this is a rare issue then! I think it is on Google’s side as when i get the error there is no attempted connection made to my Home Assistant instance.

I tried creating a completely new Action and created a new home in Google Home however i still get the same error. My next option is to create routines for all the things i would have done as they seem to still work. After that i might setup Rhasspy instead.

I also have the same problem. Anyone found a solution?

Nothing yet, I have just posted on the Google nest community to see if they have any ideas as this looks very much like a google issue:

Same issue. If I connect via a different Google Account then it works. However in my case it is definitely not an HA issue as no “Works with Google” device works with Google Assistant (Device not available right now) but works fine with Google Home.

I have been beating my head against a brick wall with this for a few months now to no avail,

Wow, been struggling the same. Just setting up and trying things like turning add blockers off - new domain - different proxies and nothing. Made a routine in Google and works fine. I can sync, use display to turn off and on lights but cant use voice for same light. I signed up for Nabu Casa and the couple times that seemed to work but still had moments. I did also have problems with my Lutron direct which made me thing was adblocker or something. I could probably work with the routines on google to fill the gap

I have posted on the Google forums here so if anyone else having this issue could throw their issues in it may help get to the bottom of this:

Original post that got closed before I could update is here: