Google Home - Home assistant ; will it still work when Google sunsets the conversational actions?

I’m working on the Google Home assistant integration (not using nabu casa cloud for now)… Setting up the Actions (using this guide), I see the following notification from Google:

This Conversational Action will be removed on June 13, 2023. Learn more about the Conversational Actions sunset.

That leads me to the question: Will this integration keep working? Or - as I’d expect - will it break after 13th of June?

Also: What does this mean for the nabu casa cloud solution? Will that stay operational?

Thanks.

1 Like

Yes, it’ll all be fine.

What’s going away is the ability to talk directly to HA - solutions like DialogFlow that allow you to do Hey Google, talk to Home Assistant or Hey Google, ask Home Assistant what the weather forecast is.

Simple voice interactions won’t be affected.

2 Likes

Before I go too deep down another rabbit hole, what’s the difference between the way Google Home Assistant integration works and the “conversational actions” which are about to die off?

What makes this a “simple voice interaction”? I have to admit, I assumed it was a Conversational thingy.

It’s all about my (lack of) understanding of the terminology!

Thanks.

The basic non conversation functionality is to tell Google to do something, or ask it the state of a Google supported device that’s exposed through it. Google remains entirely in the loop there.

A conversation allows you to bypass Google and “talk” directly to a supported platform without Google in the way.

1 Like

I don’t quite see the “it’s all fine” part though. I had built some voice integration, that allowed me to ask Google questions about stuff in my Home (like sensor levels, or where the persons were),and it’s all going to disappear, I see no other way to do it… Assist isn’t quite the same. I can’t say OK assist, from whatever Google Hub/N’est I have in my home, or whatever phone, or SmartWatch I have. (I know it’s another one of Google décision that are questionable, supposedly it’s an exciting change, I also fail to see the exciting part TBH)

And that wasn’t the question asked in this thread.

the Standard HA integration uses the home control interface, not the conversational interface. I also have some conversational actions that will be impacted, but home control will not be affected.

Unfortunately the instructions for the manual integration Google Cloud Platform configuration don’t work anymore (at least for me)

all (old) projects are read only. New projects to get the API keys etc can’t be initialized, because the actions console is shutdown by google.