Google Home Hue Setup Change?

I stopped doing it when I red of the proble here, but I did not realize that was a problem related to people WITHOUT Google Home device, but just using a emulated_hue for GH.

Well I am an early adopter in Italy (is a GH device bougth in the US), but should not be a problem (I hope)

I confirm it works … good!

Hi Guys!

First, my english is a crap, so sorry in advance…

I can confirm that worked for me too, but after a hard time and some work finally got it working:

My Setup:

• Some Philips Hue Lights and a physical bridge;
  • Physical Google Home;
  • Some lights configured as switches using mysensors.org component;

So to make it work:

• Hue emulation setup and checked workin by accessing URL;
    – At this moment all lights were listed on URL check (mysensors switches and hue lights);
  • Removed Hue account from Home app (on android) and obviously all devices;

On Home App, accessed devices and then configurations on Google Home (not sure if it is the trick…);
Acessed Home Control and added again Hue Account and besides it still opening the page asking to pair the bridge, this time, Ive pressed pair button but DIDN’T pressed the button on the Hue Bridge, just waited… after some seconds the pairing process reported success and then redirected to the page to set the new found devices as usual, and all devices that was listed under the URL check, were imported as expected.

Hope this help anyone in similar situation.

Best regards!

Renato Troitino

OK Guys;

Just an update!

If you dont press the Hue Bridge Button, only the lights on HA will be imported what means that the Google Home wont be able to change the light colors, since it will not connect with Hue Bridge at all. In this case, Ive setup the Hue Emulation to export only my switches, ignoring lights domain, so only the switches will be controlled by HA.

Everything working as expected now!

Best regards!

Renato Troitino

Can someone walk me through the setup process?

I have tried three times now but without any luck.

Config:

emulated_hue:
  type: google_home
  host_ip: 10.0.0.20
  listen_port: 80
  expose_by_default: true

When I add a Hue device in the Google Home app, I get prompted to login to my Hua account. Since I don’t own a Hue set I did not have an account so I created one. After I successfully log in, I keep getting the following error:

The are no devices added to the “Home Control” list in the Google Home app.

What am I missing?

Is the HA_Bridge running om port 80?
I also tried to run the HA-Bridge by just put emulated_hue: in the configuration file without luck.
After following general-ha-bridge-guide-hue-bridge-for-alexa-or-google-home got it working and the added devices are visible in the Google Assistant app.

1 Like

@Appieland Thanks, got it running now thanks to the tutorial

Thanks to @333ryan18 I was able to get this working.

Short How To (for people with no android devices):

First of all, you need Android (Or the older iOS app, but it’s easier to downgrade apps on Android), in my case I do not own any Android devices, so I created a VM running RemixOS using osboxes excellent VMDK.

After creating and booting the VM, I used the “Play Activator app” to install Google Play services and Play Store.
IMPORTANT: Reboot RemixOS after Play Activator is done.

Open Chrome inside RemixOS and go to the URL linked by @333ryan18 (APKMirror) and install it in RemixOS.

Open Play Store and download the Google App.

Open the Google App and press on the Update Google Play Services, to update that.

Open the Google Home app, go to devices and Philips Hue.

Enjoy your working Emulated Hue.

1 Like

I was pretty confuse at what’s working and what’s not. There is several scenario:

1. With the hardware Google Home and an emulated Hue you can use Google Home 1.19.29

2. With Google Assistant (just on your phone, no Google Home) and a real Hue bridge (and optionally emulated hue bridge), you can use the latest Google home without problem

3. With Google Assistant and an emulated Hue (or HA-Bridge), there is no solution as for now, since you have to use a Hue account to link your bridge from Google assistant (you cannot use Google Home app to add the bridge without a hardware Google Home).

These threads need to be merged or we need a sticky one.

I’m in the situation whereby i sent back my echo dots to buy a google home (UK) on release day. It’s been in its box since because i was faced with the philips logic page.

Is there no solution to this as of today, before i get it out and try again?

… or use apkmirror.com and download the old version. As i’ve read in other forums it works with emulated hues and google home if you are connected beore changing the google home app version.

1 Like

Have you run this command in bash?

Emulated Hue

emulated_hue:
host_ip: !secret hue_host_ip
type: !secret hue_type
listen_port: !secret hue_port
off_maps_to_on_domains:

• script
  • scene
    expose_by_default: true
    exposed_domains:
  • light

sudo setcap ‘cap_net_bind_service=+ep’ /srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/bin/python3

I’ve had to run this each time I have set up emulated_hue. Without the sudo command I was unable to discover the emulated bridge from the Google Home application on my mobile device.

1 Like

I see this must be done on an android device. I have initially tried on iOS and it is insisting that I enter a hue account. I have a physical hue bridge and after account info in iOS, only the Hue lights are detected. If I create a new account, it will go through Phillips’ authentication website and asked me to push the Hue button and no amount of waiting will get me passed that pairing process.

I happen to have an android tablet. I download the home app. Interestingly, the android version of the app does not require you to enter a hue account password and discover the emulated hue without problem.

@bill7531 is this this the case? I have purchased an actual Philips Hue Hub to try and get this going with Google Home and don’t want to waste more money on an Android device if its not going to allow me to get my Google home to see my Emulated Hue device.

emulated_hue has nothing to do with actual Philips Hue, it just appears to be that to third party devices like Alexa, get your money back on the Hub.

Get the Dots back, they just work without issue :slight_smile:

You do not need the physical Hue. I just happen to have it before I set up HA. Look at thread 49 which shows you how to set up Android on virtual machine.

Thanks for the reply @Bobby_Nobble & @bill7531 appreciate it.

I read somewhere on another thread somebody got there emulated HUE re enabled due to having an actual HUE. Emulated devices just “showed up”, this didn’t work but ill be keeping the HUE as I’ve since found multiple use cases for it. :slight_smile:

Cheers Bill ill look into setting up android on a Virtual Machine and try connecting the two that way. If this does work, Is it just a case of using the Google Home app on a Android VM once or will i need to run this every time i add/re-scan for new devices.

First time only.

Hi everyone,

I’m planning to buy some Xiaomi Wall Switches and use hass + emulated hue to control them from Google Home. I’m also planning on buying a real Hue bridge + bulbs.

Can anyone confirm it well be possible to control the two bridges (real + emulated) from Google Home (sorry if this is already answered, the discussion is a bit hard to follow). If positive, is it working with the current Google Home apk?

Thanks in advance.