Google Home Hue Setup Change?

Anyone using Google Home with emulated hue successfully? When I go to add a Hue Bridge to my Google Home the App wants me to log in with a Phillips Hue account, not discover a bridge. Any suggestions?

edit: I am pretty sure this was a change made in the 3/2/2017 app update. I hope this doesnt mean emulated hue will no longer work with the Google Home.

Edit2: just got off the phone with google support… they confirmed this was a change made. I may have to switch back to Alexa

Oh, well that is not good news. I’ve had my set up for a bit now, and it is still working. I will have to make sure to not unpair it if they are requiring a account log in :frowning:

maybe they’ll change it back in the future, but the guy on google phone support said it was a process that Phillips wanted them to use and not googles decision. Hopefully it’s not coming to the echo as well.

1 Like

Oh man, after I was successful in using GH for scenes and scripts… Too bad

I have found a work around. @Kirch21 was correct that this was added with the latest update of the Google Home App. This APK seemed to do the trick for me. Just make sure to uninstall the Google Home App before trying to install the older version.

1 Like

Think this might be linked with hue being accessible on the pixel assistant now too. As was thinking I could do the emulated hue for the pixel but no you just get the hue login screen. So guessing it so you can access you need a hue account so you can access your bridge from anywhere.

Yes. that’s whats happening to me. This fix doesn’t work for me, google assistant on the phone always sends you to the hue login and when searching for devices it doesn’t find anything… :frowning: I think the emulated hue integration for google home will stop working at all. Thanks Philips! :frowning:

This sucks… using an old APK isn’t really a fix :frowning:

I guess a PSA to people who already have an emulated hue connected to their google home: don’t disconnect it!

Looks like its back to echo for me :frowning: at least for now. I did find the echo being much better at phrase matching anyways. When I would say “OK, Google turn on the fan” it would turn on the fan + fan light 1, fan light 2, fan light 3. The echo requires the entire phrase to be matched so it only turned on my fan. Not that big of a deal, but giving everything an exact unique name got kind of messy.

1 Like

Yeah, I actually like that aspect personally. I can turn on just the lights above my island instead of all 7 lights in my kitchen etc…

I’m definitely jealous of the echo dot… I could have 2 of them instead of just the one google home I have… but I also have a lot of chromecasts and a bit more faith in google’s ability to really do some cool stuff with the voice control over Amazon… so that’s why I went with them. If only they would allow direct actions I wouldn’t even need emulated hue, thats my dream but I don’t see it happening for the average consumer :frowning:

This change would effect HA-Bridge also. And why wouldn’t Alexa be down the line for the same process? It’s not as though Phillips Hue only wants Google Home users to connect to their cloud but not Alexa users.

Grrr. :persevere:

I wonder how did you do to use GH to trigger Hue scenes?

Go raise hell on the Hue forum. It is their doing and just like when they tried to drop 3rd party bulbs.

with emulated_hue and this

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/working-on-multiple-emulated-hue-instances/9649/93

Claudio,
Is this the solution to the OP’s question? I thought since he called and they confirmed a change that authentication had changed. But that is not the case? I ask because I was about to get into this myself (the bridge).

https://www.meethue.com/en-us/register

If you register for a hue account and use that at setup, can you then use Google home to search locally?

I don’t have Google home to check. Would like to buy one but if this doesn’t work anymore i will get an Echo.

Just an idea

Wayne

I’d like to help… but I have an emulated hue connected from before this change so I don’t want to rock the boat and disconnect it. I’m sure someone out there has a google home who could test…

After you login with your hue account, the bulbs that are linked to your account appear and that’s all you can do. Unless there is a way to make emulated hue link to a hue account then it won’t work. I am back using an echo and so far no changes there (crossing my fingers).

When I was setting it up before in the google home app, it asked me to press the button. Which I did because I wanted it to pick up my lights (I excluded them from emulated hue). At that time after it was paired I could see both my lights from the hub itself and my emulated hue entities in the google home app. (If you didn’t have an actual hub you just wait and don’t press anything and after a little while it discovers your emulated entities)

I guess since it doesn’t ask you to press a button it is just using the data Philips has and not actually discovering anything new… so unless there is a way to add the emulated hue entities in the hue app itself it seems like it is broken to me :frowning:

Maybe there is a way to discover emulated hue entities thru the philips hue app somehow…

I just sat up a new Google home with emulated hue. No problems