Google Home Hue Setup Change?

So what happens after the upgrade? I guess all connections are lost and you cannot use habridge/emulated hue anymore? Or is there still a trick using a real bridge?

Donā€™t know what happens to existing connections but it seems impossible to add a new one at the moment.

At this moment I donā€™t have any problems with emulated_hue but maybe itā€™s better we search for a solution for the long term.
Iā€™ve read about the google smart home implementation(https://developers.google.com/actions/smarthome/) and going to try to make this compatible with Hass. Anyone who wants to join me to create this project?
Iā€™ve tested the example app and it works really nice. Hereā€™s a blogpost about using it with android things http://nilhcem.com/android-things/google-assistant-smart-home.

More than happy to help @sennevds but my coding skills are next to non existing. Am willing to test or help with anything else :slight_smile:

I would be happy to help @Sennevds .

A few weeks ago, I tried re-implementing the Smart Home sample in python using flask-oauthlib but that didnā€™t work. I have been pondering if I could use Google itself as the auth provider rather than having to maintain a separate auth server. Havenā€™t had much time to get back on to the project.

P.S: In other news, OpenHAB appear to be close to a Beta test of native integration - https://community.openhab.org/t/google-home-actions-api-now-available/17917/157. I think their advantage is that OpenHAB already has a cloud component so there wonā€™t be a need to spin up a new cloud service to authenticate, authorize and pass through to a userā€™s local server.

Has there been any progress? Iā€™d be happy to help!

My app got updated, something broke with the emulated hue so I did like I had always done, disconnect, reconnect but now I canā€™t add my emulated hue back! Native support for HA is a must.

Fyi, anyone who currently has it linked, DO NOT DISCONNECT. ā€¦ Though if you found a way to get it working again, please let me know!!

yep, do not disconnect
unfortunately i did not see this advice until I attempted to refresh my google home hue lights
by deleing the old and re-adding phillips hueā€¦
in the past it went to hue-adapter.appspot.com to pair.
now it goes to account.meethue.com.
i am unhappyā€¦

1 Like

Did the same thing todayā€¦ Boooo

But, on the bright side - someone is working on a more native integrations: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/9632

awesome
iā€™ll use the Google home as a doorstop until thenā€¦
the only thing i use it for is controlling hass enities and checking football scoresā€¦

I started a fresh install of Hass.io a week ago (my first time ever) and linked emulated hue into my Google Home without any issues at allā€¦

Iā€™m going to order a second Google Home mini and try to link it first at my brother hass and Google account since he doesnā€™t have one and report back if it works or not

I hope some one can find a solution to pairing emulated hue to Google home, and I just bought a 2nd Google home mine

I had alexa working with HA then switched to google home for awhile (thinking itā€™d be way better because Google) I had so many issues getting emulated hue working. Sometimes it wouldnā€™t discover anything, sometimes it would forget them, sometimes it would forget all of my ā€œroomsā€. Such a pain, finally sold it and went back to alexa, been great ever since!

Maybe one day Iā€™ll go back to google but I canā€™t stand the wake word(s) and itā€™s gotta be 100% reliable like alexa is.

thank googleā€¦
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/googlehome/zBO7PtiDPxc;context-place=topicsearchin/googlehome/emulated$20hue

I still dont understand why you guys cant get emulated hue working on Google Homeā€¦ I set mine up just over a week ago for the first time without any issues at all. Maybe I got lucky?

Google changed connection for Phillips Hue from hue-adatper.appspot.com to the Phillips hue website.
So recent updates to the Google Home app will not connect to the local emulated_hue instance.
This only reared its ugly head after having some issues with newly added Hass entities.
Normally to correct that, you unlink the Phillips Hue in Google Home and relink.
Once you do that you are hosed, because the existing entities which hung around thru the upgrades are gone.
Reverting the Home app to an older apk (as mentioned in other posts) does not help.

With the upcoming Google-Assistant component for Hass, you can regain use of Google Home.
BUT
for those of us who havenā€™t exposed our HASS instance to the world, it requires setting up SSL to use the Google actions (same as Alexa component).
For me that means paying for a static external IP address, exposing HASS to the internet, setting up SSl with DuckDNS and LetsEncrypt, dealing with firewall, and going through the fairly extensive setup with the Google Actions API
all so I can say ā€œHey Google, turn on the kitchen lightā€ā€¦
so again, Google Home = expensive doorstopā€¦

1 Like

Can anyone verify that Amazon has not changed the Hue device setup (echo still connects to emulated_hue)?
If they havenā€™t, $50 for an Echo Dot sounds like the easy way outā€¦

Alexa still works fine, always was and still is the simplest to set up, just limited by what emulated_hue can do.

thanx
i will order one today.
Google really could have just renamed the old Home device from Phillips Hue to Emulated_something and saved a lot of griefā€¦

Why pay for a static IP, that is what DuckDNS is for, no?

1 Like