Google Nest API Not working

I have successfully setup the new Google Nest API but when I do the last step in Home-Assistant I get this
“The component is not configured. Please follow the documentation” when trying to add the integration. The logs do not point me anywhere to really troubleshoot further. Has anyone else ran into this and can you help point me in the right direction.

You also need to add the yaml part

For the new API I didn’t see anything about the yaml part. I saw that for the original api but not the new sdm api. Where can I find that info?

On the documentation page, the nest: part

Ok I got it working but it only shows my thermostat and is not carrying over my cameras. I did do the test within a terminal window and when I list devices using the API it does show the all the devices but home assistant is only detecting the thermostat. In addition, the documentation say to make sure you choose “persist” but that is not an option when you are granting access.

I looked at the docs and it says the new API does not support climate but does support cameras.
https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/nest/
I was holding off going thru the setup thru Google until everything was good to go.
So, does the new API support the thermostat and the docs just are not updated yet or are there other docs I have not come across yet?

I got it working and now the camera shows up but the thermostat temperature sensors only update when HA starts and never update again but so far the logs haven’t pointed me in any direction.

Hello, joewilliams,

I’m having the same problem. I got the same message (…device not configured), when I tried to configure the Nest integration. I’ve obviously got something wrong. I spent most of yesterday afternoon getting the OAuth part to work. Today, I tried the configuration file end to work. I’ve run both with and without the redirect_uri lines. No joy. How did you get this to work?

PS Can’t figure out how to properly quote code; tried every combination of back quotes I could think of. Never hit on the right combo,

Here's my yaml file:

nest:
  client_id: xxxxxxx
  client_secret: xxxxxxx
# "Project ID" in the Device Access Console
  project_id: xxxxxxxx
# Provide the full path exactly as shown under "Subscription name" in Google Cloud Console
 subscriber_id: projects/sdm-prod/topics/xxxxxxx
# Redirect URI
# redirect_uri: https://oauth-redirect.googleusercontent.com/r/xxxxxxx
#                     https://oauth-redirect-sandbox.googleusercontent.com/r/xxxxxxx

I’m having the same issue and I’d love to get past this.

Hi, I don’t have a solution but I wanted to make sure that you paid Google the $5 fee?

Yeah, from what i understand, i will need that to integrate google assistant better anyway. Evil empire needs to get theirs. Further reading has me believing I need a static IP to run the HA-Nest integration, though

You don’t need a static ip, but you do need to be using a public domain name for your home assistant url. It does not need to be exposed to the internet however.

I still get that message even though I did the yaml part:

nest:
  client_id: xxxx
  client_secret: xxxx
  project_id: xxxx
  subscriber_id: projects/heroic-command-299312/subscriptions/xxxx

Any ideas?

I’ve got my homeassistant_supervised installed and DuckDNS set up with nginx and port forwarding. I’ve reached a point where i can access my Home Assistant from outside my network. My configuration.yaml is still set up correctly. Still can’t get this to stop displaying “The component is not configured. Please follow the documentation.” The integration steps started working yesterday but got stuck because I needed an external IP. Now I have everything set up and the Nest integration won’t connect. I’ve even wiped my google API stuff and redid it and I still get the same result.

Got it. I was editing the configuration file in the containerized home assistant that I clearly didn’t uninstall correctly. Once I used the file editor add-on in supervised, it made me realize where the right file actually was in the directory structure. Updated the config and it worked flawlessly thereafter.

I had the same issue too and restarting core loaded the new “nest” configuration.

I feel super close and now get this error

and we have success!! :tada: :blush:

Because the Device Access Registration suggests not using an individual email, I hadn’t added the new email to the Household in Nest yet. I accepted the invite in Google Home and it will ask if you want this email to also be a family member (distinct from joining the household) and skipped this for now.

Excellent job @allenporter and everyone who contributed to the instructions in the Nest integration page - it took me about 4 hours to set up including having to redo my Duck DNS config because I locked myself out of the UI overlooking the fact that Home Assistant had its own internal IP due to the recommended bridge network configuration for Hass.io. It’s working great running in Virtual Box on a 2010 mac mini server.

Other than that, it was pretty smooth sailing and I would love to see some kind of diagram helping us understand what all the cloud components (aka. demystifying Google Cloud) are at some point.

Now onto the juicy stuff and create my first automations based on temperature :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome! would love to hear about the automations you end up with.

I have an issue with the nest integration on the home assistant side, I have managed to set up all the API developer side with no issue but when I integrate the nest part no devices are shown the nest integration.

I have updated the YAML file and restarted HA with no luck, any suggestions ?

Just ran through all the config and having the same issue. Not seeing anything in my HA logs.