Google-Nest Offical Device Access Console Finally Released!

Try again - somehow I did not save it as a text block and a “2” ended up at the end of the curl command.

FFPlay (ffmpeg player) will play RTSPS streams. I tested it out with my Nest doorbell camera. The new device access console access/api is not too dissimilar to the previous one, so it shouldn’t take too much refactoring to get the nest integration up and running.

Has anyone managed to get the “Home/Away” status of the structure at all? I’ve not been able to find this in the documentation of the various APIs

Cheers
Mark

1 Like

If the token is stored in the secrets file. Can we create an automation that automatically generates the new token every hour ?

So there is a fee?

1 Like

yep. doesnt make you broke right?

Is there already someone who’s creating a custom integration for HA?

i hope so, or maybe they will update the official one

11 Likes

I started making one, and got the oauth flow and simple device list working, though not yet doing anything with the actual API other than creating dummy placeholder sensors.

Home Assistant:

Python Lib:

Not sure how long it will take to get it going, but I’ll keep working on it over the next few weeks. This is the first time I have ever tried working on Home Assistant, so there is a bit of a learning curve.

17 Likes

I’m so excited!
Thanks in advance for all your efforts!

It looks like you’re making a new integration called google_nest instead of updating the existing nest integration with support for the new API. Are you on the HA developer discord? Might want to run that plan by the HA devs before wading in too deep. My experience is that they usually prefer to update existing integrations when possible so I wouldn’t want you to get weeks in and then be asked to re-write the whole thing as an update.

1 Like

Personally, I would see this as a new integration. I don’t want the existing Nest integration to change as I am running Protects, which are not available in the new API (yet). Once the functionality is 1-to-1, the old integration could be deprecated in favor of this, and could be renamed. I am even considering breaking my cameras out into a new account so that I can leverage the RTSP capabilities, and leave the Protects and my Thermostat on the existing integration. It would make sense to keep both for the short term, with the end goal of deprecating the original Nest integration at some point.

7 Likes

I’d agree with this. There are still some users on the legacy API (for as long as Google doesn’t force the migration which I expect is forthcoming). A new integration would make sense.

1 Like

I wasn’t imagining the existing Nest integration be gutted and replaced, it wouldn’t be backwards compatible if it completely changed over to the new API. A version field or something could be added so users could then say which version of Nest API they were integrating with. The integration would be fleshed out as much as possible with the new API as it currently allows and expand to be more feature complete over time as the API develops. Users using the old API would see identical behavior through upgrade.

Your point about separating the cameras is fair, I thought the same. That would be problematic although it looks like the author is working to make the integration UI-configurable and use config entries. If so then it shouldn’t be an issue to integrate with Nest twice in the same Home Assistant instance with two different accounts, one using the old API and one using the new.

To be clear, I’m not on the HA dev team so I may be totally wrong here. My only suggestion is that before embarking on a multi-week to month long project I would highly suggest running your plan by the HA dev team in Discord. Especially since it looks like the eventual PR will be quite large based just on the commits so far.

1 Like

Great suggestion! I really have only some idea of the norms of the code base given the excellent public docs but could really use some experienced developer guidance. Assuming most of us here are just speaking for ourselves, sounds like chatting on the discord would be a good way to go. Thanks!

1 Like

Could someone be so kind and share a complete flow I can import?

You can find a guide over here: Reddit - Guide: Nest Hello Doorbell Integration via Node-Red and Smart Device Management (SDM) API

Check the comments for a flow that is more dynamic. The example provides only for a single device, Nest Hello.

2 Likes

Nice! Great progress! Once:

• Create entities for devices
  • Modify to use pull with pubsub events

are done, I’ll be one of the first to install!

Thanks for posting about the supported products, disappointing to see Next Protect isn’t there - guess I’ll stay with Works with Nest Legacy a bit longer. Official response i got from Google was “Home Automation for Nest Protect isn’t supported”.
Then followed up with “Doing this will bring all Google Nest devices under one eco-system and will also optimize its integration with 3rd party software. Once the other companies update their integration, their software will work even better than before with the Google Nest products.”

Wait and see I guess. Have fun!

1 Like