Google-Nest Offical Device Access Console Finally Released!

I just tried the device trigger with my doorbell and it works just fine. This is my automation setup:

alias: Notify Doorbell
description: Send notification when doorbell button is pressed
trigger:
  - platform: device
    device_id: 873c97cf65cdddc3ce18c6efdbc6493a
    domain: nest
    type: doorbell_chime
condition: []
action:
  - service: notify.hangouts_stian
    data:
mode: single

Here is a view from the GUI editor where I configured it.

2 Likes

I get error 403:

2020-12-14 10:58:59 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.nest] Device Manager error: Error from API: 403, message='Forbidden', url=URL('https://smartdevicemanagement.googleapis.com/v1/enterprises/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/structures')

I make 3 time all complete configuration. All UI configuration works fine, but the devices is empty and get this error.

Maybe Google banned me for many trys?

For subcription Pub/Sub topic I used ā€œEnter topic nameā€ and paste the topic from Devices (proc-nestā€¦)

Itā€™s ok now. Had to restart after updating and all is fine.

eco mode not changing
If I change from the nest app mode to Eco, HA will show the thermostat in Eco mode.
If I use the presence sensing from Nest and leave the house the Nest thermostat goes into eco mode but this time in HA the temperature stays the same and Eco mode is not shown.
Is there a fix or am I missing something? this is important as I have other thermostats set up to change temperature as the main nest thermostat changes.

Sounds like a problem on the Nest side with their API?

I have Nest Home/Away Assist turned on but my Away setting is No Change as Iā€™m using my Alexa App to trigger routines based on my Device arriving or leaving homeā€¦

Is there any way to use triggers in Node Red? I want to implement an automation for the doorbell chime using NodeRed

1 Like

I believe you should be able to use the ā€˜events: allā€™ node, but I havenā€™t tried it yet. Assuming the integration raises an HA event that is.

Getting a 403 error when setting up the integration for the first time.

Authorization Error
Error 403: access_denied
The developer hasnā€™t given you access to this app. Itā€™s currently being tested and it hasnā€™t been verified by Google. If you think you should have access, contact the developer

Iā€™ve followed the documentation a couple of times to check I didnā€™t miss anything, but it sounds like the API could be experiencing issues? Iā€™m using the same Google account I set up the API with so I assume I donā€™t need to mess with any permissions?

Edit: Published the app and it works. Nevermind!

3 Likes

Hey.

Great work on the camera support. Works for me with both nest and Google home Max cams. Was wondering, with the person/Motion event, is it possible to get a snapshot of what triggered the event as well?

@marcusramberg Yes, you can use a automation to call camera.snapshot service.

It works for me with a Nest Hello and chime event.

1 Like

thanks for the info. Hopefully the api will be fixed or else I can use google home to control the temp when away.

Hey Miguel. That works, but as thereā€™s a delay between the event and the snapshot the person it notified about could already be gone. According to the person event documentation, there seems to be a a link from the event that could be used to fetch the actual shot that triggered the event, but I donā€™t see how I can access that.

Yes you are correct about that. The integration is not currently using that. The current integration just takes snapshots from the stream rather than using nests image service.

I have a few thoughts

1. investigate the stream lag and see if it can be reduced
  2. even with lag solved, it may help if you receive pubsub events late or if home assistant was off for a few minutes
  3. not clear to me how we would make it work. It might be that we create a new separate service just for nest and pass the extra session token info along in the event / trigger.

Would one of you who is doing this be up for sharing your automations with the community? I think it could also make a really nice blueprint of one doesnā€™t exist already.

No worries to share, this is my automation:

alias: Notify Doorbell
description: Send notification when doorbell is pressed
trigger:
  - platform: device
    device_id: 873c97cf65cdddc3ce18c6efdbc6493a
    domain: nest
    type: doorbell_chime
condition: []
action:
  - service: camera.snapshot
    data:
      filename: /config/www/entrance.jpg
    entity_id: camera.entrance
    data:
  - delay: '00:00:01'
    data:
      data:
        image_file: /config/www/entrance.jpg
mode: single

I split the notification in two to let the capture of image complete before sending the image. Since I do not want delay for the first notification I found it better to split it up. Only thing I have done outside of this is to check the ā€œpreload streamā€ on the camera. Not sure if this is important.

2 Likes

Thank you, that is super awesome, Iā€™ll try this out.

Iā€™m just looking at this, and because it uses the device platform, Iā€™m not convinced these are made available to Node Red as any sort of trigger. Iā€™ll continue to investigate. It may be a case of using an automation to turn an input_boolean on and off. Not ideal, but would allow the use of Node Red trigger.

Edit: This is relevant - 0.113: Automations & Scripts, and even more performance! - #33 by frenck

Just to underline the benefit of capturing the actual trigger camera from Nest is this. Just now, 30 minutes ago, a delivery came at the door. Flowers. He just ran up to the door, rang the bell, dropped the flowers on the doorstep and left. From HA the picture is of him leaving, but the Nest app shows the person.

In normal circumstances this is not a problem. The ones ringing the doorbell usually waits outside for you to open, but it illustrates a point. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like thermostat changes wonā€™t change in home assistant. I mean, if i change temp on the thermostat itself, on home assistant i have no changeā€¦
Anyone else?

Hi Folks,

Iā€™m still looking for a solution to the issue several other individuals brought up regarding only getting one or two devices to integrate even though many more are installed within the home.

We have two Gen3 thermostats installed in our home. I see the option to select them when I add Nest as an integration, Iā€™m able to go through the full integration sequence, but in the end wind up with only 1 device and 3 entities which is my Upstairs Thermostat. My Downstairs Thermostat isnā€™t ever integrated into HomeAssistant even though I selected it.

Does anyone have a step by step debug process for this issue? Iā€™ve started from scratch, rebooted HA, reloaded the Nest integrations, and still only end up with the one Upstairs Device.

Utilizing the current Nest native Home Assistant integration.

Thanks,

Running Supervisor 2020.12.06 on a Raspberry Pi 4 w/128gb external drive. Home Assistant 2020.12.0 up to date.

Does anybody know if the rtsp feed url changes with the token refresh or is it static? Iā€™d like to work out a way to add the nest cam to motioneye so I can store the video. My understanding is that motioneye doesnā€™t support rtsps but Iā€™m wondering if maybe converting the stream with ffmpeg might work. That, of course, would require a static rstps url. Anybody else thought about this or have a recommended solution to expose just the url?