Google-Nest Offical Device Access Console Finally Released!

For implementing the native nest image fetch in response to an event, there are likely a few steps/approaches to implement:

1. Add the session token to the event message fired on the bus, and maybe the trigger
    2.a. cache the session token on the device, so on the next call to fetch an image it reuses the event, with some kind of timeout. (Need a balance here because you also want a live snapshot to work too)
    2.b. alt: Add a new service call to implement the image fetch by calling the methods in the existing library (we already have support in the pypi library). This takes the session token as input so it would need to be propagated somehow, or again just cache the last event on the api

Anyway, there are a couple paths forward here for future releases. I may lean towards adding new services that would just be a pop in replacement for ā€œservice: camera.snapshotā€

Is this in regards to multiple thermostats devices? i.e. the integration only allow ports in one thermostat even if two or more are on the Google Home account?

First of all great work with implementing the api in homeassistant ! Quick question with the old api it was possible the select different activity zones for each camera. You could then limit the motion detection for only these zones. Is this possible with the new api ?

Hi, multiple thermostats per account are supported and working. The specific thing not supported by the nest api is additional temp sensors you can purchase for a single thermostat.

Unfortunately the api does not expose activity zones. I suspect there may be advanced ways to build additional motion detection in home assistant (e.g. like for any other camera of the provided live stream or snapshot). Maybe others have investigated this?

2 Likes

Ok, then is there a way to determine why only one thermostat is integrated using the native HomeAssistant Nest integration when all thermostats are selected to be integrated?

My upstairs thermostat is always integrated, but my downstairs is never brought in.

There are no error screens from Google when the integration happens.

I was just thinking about this. As much as your efforts are appreciated my goal is to get the video feed recognizing humans in zones I care about, notifying with snapshot (which I got working) and then ultimately migrating to something local and a bit more open than Nest.

I think your efforts are a life saver for people more invested in the ecosystem, but luckily I just have the doorbell. I think Iā€™d like to test some sort of cast to Google Home Hub on doorbell press before Iā€™m ready to migrate too.

The only thing Iā€™ll loose by switching doorbells will be 2-way audio on the Google Home display and Nest Aware smoke detection for my Miniā€™s, thatā€™s a pretty neat feature.

1 Like

This means the api isnā€™t returning it for some reason. I had a problem the other day where I had to reboot my thermostat to make it get returned from the nest api. I rebooted then restarted HA. Otherwise, donā€™t have any suggestions other than manually poking around the api to see what you get back.

1 Like

Many thanks for the suggestion. I never thought of rebooting my thermostat since I could still access it from the app. The reboot did the trick and I see both thermostats in HA. Cheers!

What about using HA areas?

hey thanks for all the great work been waiting for this one. Iā€™ve been through the setup and all seemed to go ok, Iā€™ve got the a nest doorbell and can see the stream in the ui now but trying to get a automation to work is failing me. (little to no experience with automation to date) tried a couple of things to trigger on camera_person or doorbell_chime but they never fired. in developer tools - events, ive entered both in there and hit start listening gone out waited to get the notification from nest that its seen me then pressed the bell but nothing is showing in the listening pages. I guess something is wrong with the api stream config or something but at a bit of a loss where to start. any pointers greatly received.

@phate1 Mind posting your current code thatā€™s not working?

Hey sure there isnt much at the moment ive just put this in

with a android app notification to prove it works

and then i went into the developer tools and under events did this:

so the automation doesnā€™t trigger and the event listener gives no output when a person is detected on the nest doorbell.
(sorry for double post im too new to post 2 pics :))

Iā€™m not sure but maybe trigger type: event is not the way to do it?
Your approach is vastly different from @corvyā€™s automationā€¦

alias: Notify Doorbell Person Detection
description: Send notification when doorbell detects person
trigger:
  - platform: device
    device_id: 873c97cf65cdddc3ce18c6efdbc6493a
    domain: nest
    type: camera_person
condition: []
action:
  - service: camera.snapshot
    data:
      filename: /config/www/inngangsparti.jpg
    entity_id: camera.inngangsparti
  - service: notify.hangouts_stian
    data:
  - delay: '00:00:01'
  - service: notify.hangouts_stian
    data:
      data:
        image_file: /config/www/inngangsparti.jpg

I donā€™t have the luxury of a Nest Camera to actually test withā€¦

Daniel
you are absolutely spot on thanks for taking the time time to respond.
Edit: spoke too soon it worked once :slight_smile: ill keep playing

Try to reboot home assistant, I have one case where it stopped working for some reason but came back after a reboot.

Amazing, followed your steps and worked like a charm. Thank you!

Has anyone gotten notifications to work using camera.snapshot and notify.mobile_app for IOS? I can get dynamic content to work fine, but I cant get the thumbnail to show or the jpg to show as ā€œstandardā€ content. Iā€™ve tried /local/config/www/ā€¦, nabu casa, and duckdns in the URL.

Thank you!

I donā€™t have iOS or a camera so I canā€™t help much other than to suggest posting your notification yaml for review and also your physical path to your thumbnail/jpg.

I think I see one possible issue (unless you posted inaccurately)ā€¦
Iā€™m quite sure /local/config/www is incorrectā€¦

/config/... = homeassistant/...
/local/... = homeassistant/www/...
(and alsoā€¦
/hacsfiles/... = homeassistant/www/community/)

If the thumbnail and/or jpg are stored in xxx/homeassistant/www/images/ the URL path would be
/local/images/file_name and I think for a local physical path of xxx/homeassistant/my_images/ the URL path would be /config/my_images/ā€¦