Govee integration

Hello,

I want to try govee2mqtt (GitHub - wez/govee2mqtt: Govee2MQTT: Connect Govee lights and devices to Home Assistant) but it says may login password are wrong. I put the same as the govee mobile app… What’s wrong with my setting ?

Ok reboot HA and it’s OK

1 Like

Hey thank you again for sharing this, this is exactly what I had been looking for and adds in all of the functionality I had been missing

edit: also, this was a very easy setup, I had to do no hunting for entities and stuff seems to remain online and active. Very pleasantly surprised.

2 Likes

That is awesome!

Thank you so much for sharing that link. It has opened up a whole workd of control over all my Govee lighting products.

Does anyone know if this is local only through MQTT or does it always need access to the Govee API to function?

1 Like

I have setup an api and added the information needed. It cannot find my wifi down lights I paired with govee.

Try looking in MQTT :wink:

I was here checking to see if it looked like Govee support had improved. Seems like a lot of people are having issues integrating with HA.

Just a word of advice. If there are alternatives to the Govee, i wouldnt even take the chance considering all the issues people are having. There are plenty of lighting choices that are basically identical to Govee ones and theres no questions about HA integration and theres a proven history of reliability.

I see people buying Govee addressable led strips, landscape lights, bulbs, etc and i scratch my head. You’re putting a lot of eggs in the Govee basket that could go out of business, be sold or decide they dont want to play nice with HA one day. This stuff does happen and us HA users are stuck holding the bag and have to replace it all.

Im not trashing Govee as a whole. I have a few of their floor lamps and they are good quality products that i like. Now if i could have found them elsewhere and they had an esp chip in it so i can put esphome or wled on it easily, that is hands down the best way to go.

I personally dont think theres any reason for people to buy Govee led strips, bulbs, outdoor lights etc. There are alternatives out there just as good that dont force on you proprietary firmware or app inorder to use the product you paid for and own. Its not like it was 4 or 5 years ago when you had to build your own esp based addressable led controller. You can buy them pre-made and flashed with wled or esphome and you just plug your lights into it. With that type of user freedom available, i still see people in here troubleshooting their proprietary Govee controller and working with HA. Why in the world are people going this route? Laziness? Does having a brand name give people an artificial feeling of buying a better quality item?

1 Like

I think, until recently, there was an issue with gaining full control over Govee lighting in HA. The recent post highlighting the govee2mqtt add on has certainly made things a lot better for some. Whether that level of control extends to other Govee products outside their lighting range remains to be seen.

I completely agree. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we are where we are and things in the Govee > HA environment are improving. It’s now a simple process to set up an MQTT broker, install the govee2mqtt add on and gain full control over Govee lights. I’ve been able to replicate every one of my Govee automations created in the Govee app in HA. Of course that won’t stop me playing with other LED strips and ESPHome, because once we are bitten by the bug, we all want to play :wink: :grin:

1 Like

The 2 Govee floor lights i have, they’re technically my daughters and in her room so i will admit, i havnt tried govee2mqtt. Adding them to HA isnt a priority as it would just encourage her to mess around with my stuff. I did try the official integration and it was a bust. I am glad that people are seeing results from govee2mqtt, i would still recommend caution and not investing in all Govee for your lighting. Github repos can be so hit and miss even more than proprietary apps. Depending on the repo owners interest and schedule, you’re at that persons mercy and hoping they keep it maintained or fixed in a timely manner or the possibility of them abandoning it completely. Many a people have had those problems.

I used to use a repo for my Wyze cameras, it allowed you to create sensors from the camers motion detection, CO alarms and some other features. Wyze decided to make a “premium” monthly fee app that also did this and sent notifications to your phone. They didnt like people getting those premium services for free in HA and pushed an update that disabled the method used in the wyze repo and now were basically ledt with only the ability to live stream over RTSP. That isnt just one anecdotal story either, this stuff happens and its why i recommend caution and not using 1 brand exclusively.

ESPHome is essentially nothing more than a GitHub repo, albeit funded and developed by Nabu Casa. I pay the Nabu Casa subs for remote access to my HA instance, but that’s the only subs I pay for. Who’s to say that Nabu Casa won’t some day ramp up the subs fees to help fund ESPHome :man_shrugging:

There are many people tied into one brand or environment, I’m not one of them. I’ll use whatever works best for me while trying to keep things as local as I can :+1: That would be my advice to others.

Ya, its got real financial backing and a slew of paid and volunteer developers. Some of these other single use case repos are backed by individual donations and they do it as a hobby, not the 20$/month they receive S compensation. Saying all repos on Git are “basically the same” is pretty disenguinous when the only thing that makes them similar is they believe in Open Source and Git is the open source Mecca.

Amen to that!

So if you’ve setup a gradient effect in the Govee app you can use it in HASS and it will display the effect/gradient properly?

Yes, it has every built in scene, saved community scene, and custom scene that I have made

EDIT: These are the device models I have deployed currently (obv except the add in entity)

1 Like

Hello, I have a few questions for my light strip with a connect switch (H6159):

1. I got the integration up and running in HA, however, when I toggle the slider switch for the light strip on there’s about a 7-10 second delay, then the switch turns on. Trying to turn it off, there’s the same delay. The lag in on/off also applies to colour changes, etc.

2. I also have a new entry in my HA dashboard that’s separate from the toggle. It’s called ‘state’ and says ‘async setup called’. The problem is I can’t remove or hide this entry because it’s not tied to any entities or anything.

Thanks in advance for any troubleshooting tips

@teh_dk I have H6127 and I can *not* figure this out. Can you please point me in the right direction? What am I missing?

Hello everyone,
I’m a recent user of Home Assistant and I’ve tried integrating my Govee devices. After integrating the repository and entering the API key provided by the Govee Support, the devices are controllable from Home Assistant, but after some time (a few hours), they disconnect. I’ve repeated the procedure multiple times, but the issue persists.
Can anyone help me?

1 Like

Govee2mqtt works much better for me than all previous solutions. You can even control the effects of lights even using the GUI in HA, and adjust individual segments of lightstrips etc if the product supports it. Highly recommend.

5 Likes

Is Govee2mqtt the integration that this whole thread is about or is it some newer integration than is different from what this thread is dealing with?

It’s different than this thread. And it requires you to setup mqtt in HomeAssistant first. Works very well.

different add-on. The developer who was doing the Govee LAN add-on (this one: GitHub - wez/govee-lan-hass: Control Govee lights via the LAN API from Home Assistant ) pivoted his efforts away from that to the govee2mqtt one, which added the ability to set scenes, effects, and individual segment control for devices that support that.

1 Like