Grouping Automations on frontend for organization

Totally agree! I mean you can find the eventually, or try to organize them using tags, or areas, but those are just workarounds. Using some sort of folders would be ideal in my opinion.

I currently have over 100 automations. Being able to organize it would be a great step for man and even better for humanity.
Thanks in advance.

I also have a lot of automation. Currently trying to organize them by adding a prefix to the name. It would be great to have folders or tags with filtering to make them easier to use. Thanks in advance.

This is totally needed.

I see people talking about adding groups and/or tags. In my case, I feel the need of having collapsible groups. I mean, the same automations list we have right now, but splitted into several lists, one per goup, each one of them is collapsible.

Also, this groups/tags can be added to the filters already present in automations (zone, device, entity).

Wish this gets done and published soon!

Please add this!
I’m tired of needing to filter and/or search every time I go to this page.

It’s especially painful on mobile.

2 Likes

Wow this has been talked about for years how is this not a thing already. Maybe a good way to organize it would be to have automation groups and then allow tags to link them to scripts and scenes. IE Groups for holiday lighting with automations for Christmas and Halloween then show a tag by each automation that is linked to a script or scene. Then allow the scripts and scenes to have all the tags of the automations that call them. But either way we need grouping and a way to know what automations are calling which scripts or scenes. Some way to link them would be great! I Hope that makes sense it does in my head lol

I also vote for some method to organize Automations.

I would prefer the tag/label approach with some kind of ‘group by’ feature in the UI that would allow grouping by area, tag, etc.

As an example, the Windows file explorer has the capability to group files by various properties (right click->group by->).

Tags have the benefit that an entity can have multiple tags although it wouldn’t allow nesting which would also be useful. Maybe we could tag other tags although that might lead to recursion.

2 Likes

Isn’t that strange that the people want it is not implemented.
Only new feature that almost nobody uses.

I have used Homeseer many years and got tired of it.
Homeassistant has made automation fun again.
Homeseer has grouping of automation and i am missing it.
Now i have to make several rows of autmation that is hard to overview.

I want this !

I’m thinking this is no easy task to do correctly and so even with a whopping 1217 votes I suspect it’s going to take some time to get it done right.

Probably only looking for the perfect month on the release plan to roll out this feature. Currently it looks like tags are going to make it (“disabled” is a tag). Let’s see when it arrives.

folder and tags would useful, add tags to the automation as an automation could have several tags, but then be able able to organise in your own folder structure

5 Likes

I would be up for color coding at least, I made a mockup in photoshop of what i think it could look like. It’s also not a big departure from what’s currently in place. Colors would be a visual cue to the user that they are looking at a different ‘chunk’ of automations. I think this would be east to implement also

Probably stating the obvious and knocking in open doors, but yes, I would love to see 5he possibility to create folders, like “Lighting”, “Car charging”, “Presence Control” or similar.
I come from a Homey home controller and it have many many drawbacks in comparison, but one really good thing with my Homey was to organize all my different flows (automations) in different folders.
Group tags and stuff are nice and all that, but it doesn’t help to get s cleaner overview, I guess.
Please, just do it. :wink:

1 Like

There is also the list of automations for a device. for example:

The order is random. It is not even the order they are created in. :thinking:

Hi all,

if you want a workaround for the grouping problem, try my custom panel which displays automations in a tree view. To create the tree, I use the name from the automation like Floor // Room // Automation.

I posted about the panel here: [Custom Panel] Automations in a tree view

If you want to go direct to the code, check it on GitHub.

2 Likes

I second this proposal also, really good idea. The same goes for Helpers, I guess, and Scenes, Scripts, Blueprints. We have (almost) the same principle in Lovelace these days, in the form of subviews. So it’s like upping some other views to the same standard :slight_smile:

I had a similar problem and automated this through pyscript (Python code). It was somehow better organized but it was code and I lost the visual aspect.

I am now trying to go for Automations (the ones in the UI) but this has the drawback you described.

A tree instead of a flat list would solve the issue immediately

In HA 2021.4 some improvements were made to automation organization, and it seems like the Home Assistant maintainers now considers this feature request implemented (see Github discussion).

In my opinion the changes added in HA 2021.4 are a good start but not nearly sufficient. The problem is that this feature request is no longer considered by the maintainers because it predates the implemented solution.

Creating a new feature request that highlights the problems with the filters as of 2023, and proposes specific improvements might be more effective. That way this will once again be on the maintainer’s radar.

Wow, IF that is the ‘solution’ in response to this thread… it is impressive how one can miss the mark so badly.

1 Like

It’s not, I posted a link above to a WIP solution and this isn’t marked as completed