Grouping Automations on frontend for organization

How about tags?

They could be similar to tags here.

11 Likes

yes please. it’s so confusing right now!! I have 100 automations and many are related.

1 Like

It could be handy if automations section in UI could have a mechanism for user to sort automations under custom defined categories. This would be better than just have one massive list of all the automations configured on the system.

Cheers,
Olli Attila

This has been requested many, many times:

https://community.home-assistant.io/search?q=group%20automations%20category%3A13

1 Like

It’s a great idea to have this possible organization about Automations, but in my opinion really it’s a great idea also for entities organization, the number of entities can be really impressive, then, a way to organize them can be a great improvement!!!

Hi all,

I see a lot of people suggesting this idea, and I stumbled across it because I thought it would be a nice addition as well. Like other users, I use the gui, and I find it hard to keep track when a lot of the automations are basically the same thing, but one is turn on, the other is turn off.

Is this just a hard ask, or is it just a bad idea?

I really like this idea. I’ve got so many related automations and they’re all over the place. It would be nice if you could group them by one or two levels and sort them. Like I’d like a laundry group, then in that page, group my 3 automations for each machine together. Even just having them all in one group would be great, but grouping by like room/area -> device/device type/activity and then the automations would be ideal for me.

1 Like

+1 for me. Definately would be great!

Need! i am already on 30+ automations.

Another vote for this as a feature. Automations get crazy fast. I’ve only been using HA for 2-3 months and already have 30+ automations that I’ve written, and KeyMaster adds 27 more.

It’d be great if we could have some sorting ability in the automations page, either via a simple search or by adding a folder structure.

This would be especially beneficial for cleaning up unused or outdated automations, or to more easily mark automations as “testing” or “development” for those that you’re building out and need some time to perfect.

I also have to concur that organizing automation right now is a mess. I don`t use them as much as I would like precisely for this reason. I wish I had proposed this during the WTH month, because seems pretty basic to me.
And honestly, if the best argument people can find against this is that they “don’t see the reason for it” then OSS is dead :slight_smile:
I understand maybe it is complex, but filtering/search is not the same as organizing things.

We really need this.
I know we can create cards, and there’s plugins to automatically create them but it just causes more work whilst trying to organise.

I’ve started using a prefix to the title just so I can see what’s happening
e.g
[LISTENER] For android notification pushes
[Lights]
[Users]
[Notifications]
[Zones]
[Home Security]

List goes on!

Ideally would like a way to folder them in the UI.

I wonder if grouping automations can also better reflect physically splitting your yaml files too. I tend to jump between the gui and the yaml files, but my automations.yaml was getting a little unmanageable so I’ve started splitting it out in to various files and directories for rooms and things. It would be nice if this structure could be represented in the frontend too, maybe the directory/file structure of an automations directory is what is used to drive the organisation of the frontend structure too. So any structure you create on the frontend is reflected in the file system and vice versa.

I keep hoping to see this feature pop up on an update! I search every few months to see if there is some progress. Even a very basic interface would be so incredibly helpful. The automations page is the clunkiest part of Home Assistant front end.

Particularly since blueprints were introduced I find I have WAY more automations just because they are so easy to make!

HomeSeer is way behind (hence why I switched to HA) but it did have a very nice group system where you have folders in which a common trigger or condition can be assigned if desired.

+1 for me, this is really missing

And a little hint:
I started to use unicode icons :door:🪟 :bulb: for grouping.

6 Likes

+1 This just needs to get developed or Node-Red will still be my choice of automation because of visual overview.

+1, same for me.

Also, it would be good for automations and scripts to be assigned areas.

2 Likes

Sure! This could be useful creating some Lovelace auto cards basing on area groups