Grouping Automations on frontend for organization

My automation page is too crowded and it is hard to find anything.
+1 for this.
Folders, tags etc are much needed to sort it.

3 Likes

How is this still not implemented :sweat_smile:
Especially with switches where you can easy have 10+ automations for a single switch it would be very nice to just group it in a folder

sure you can create a lovelace thing for this but its not the same

2 Likes

Just jumping in on this. Would love to see the automations page have some sort of tabs or expandable folders of automations.

1 Like

+1, It is really needed

1 Like

I still see a lot of people here talking about visualizing the automations in the GUI (lovelace) but that is not the point these threads were started: we’re talking about the automation editor.

I also use [xxx] tags to try to group them and at times I have to use my phone to troubleshoot an automation (because it’s in a remote or inconvenient place of the house). Finding the right one (names get shortened in the phone screen) is at times simply impossible because the [xxx] tags take space and then the names are often similar (“switch off this” “do that if”…).
A tree/folder structure would greatly help.

2 Likes

Add the automation to an area then filter the list based on the area

Petro, once again this is not what it is all about.
What people are talking about is not that it’s hard to find automations around… we’ve all been using google since years :slight_smile:
Also, we clearly already do what you propose (see my last message just above) and we don’t find it convenient.
We are asking for a better automation editor grouping. If I go to the editor and filter out stuff, I don’t have a global view of things better sorted out. To add to that, filters fail when you click “back” on the browser and in other situations.
But let me give you a practical example of your proposal:
Let’s say I filter automations by “room”. Now I’ve made a bunch of automations that are identical per room and want to check if I forgot one. With your way of working I would have to filter for one room, record the list of automations somewhere on a text file, then go to the next room (filter) and do the same etc… and then check if somewhere I forgot an automation.
A directory tree structure would serve the purpose in a single action, where I can simply open up the rooms and have each listed out for me to compare at a glance, then close the tree back.
And I could also name the automations the same, for the sake of simplicity, because they will be in different folders.
Furthermore, I have tens of automations, recently I found two of them that were not working since months. I had forgotten about them and replaced with better ones, but never deleted them because they didn’t work and didn’t stand out in my long list. Filtering would not have worked either because the naming I used then was not compatible with the one I used now. Area would not have helped either because these automations were house-wide (they were about heating).

I can name hundreds of reasons why a directory tree structure would be more convenient. To be honest, it’s probably the most common structure to organize stuff.

Many many people are asking for this, and are continuously dismissed with quick unrelated workarounds. Please take some time to look a this before answering.

I was giving a solution that works right now, not refuting the feature request. Where in my comments did I bash anything that’s been said? I know that people don’t know about filtering and rooms because I run into it constantly helping people. I was simply pointing it out. Don’t assume that I’m refuting a feature request. Also my name is Petro not Pedro. Thanks.

2 Likes

Petro,
Suggesting something that does not in any way solve the problem at hand is not “giving a solution”.
As what you suggest (or rather, the outcome of what you suggested) has been proposed a number of times in this thread and similar others (Search results for 'group automations category:13' - Home Assistant Community) to the effect that myself and a bunch of others feel a bit frustrated, it does indeed sound a bit like bashing.
That said, I didn’t mean to sound aggressive (which I clearly was, sorry, and I also corrected your name).

The problem is grouping automations, and adding them to an area groups them. It is a solution that currently exists in home assistant and many people do not know about it. If it alleviates the feature request even slightly, it should be mentioned while people wait for the feature request to be implemented.

1 Like

FYI Posted in September this year in this thread…

… “also” clearly stating it is not about the main theme. Look - we can bicker for years about this, but it won’t help anyone.
Point is we’ve been asking for a feature and it keeps being misunderstood, this is frustrating and I tried to make you understand it. You’re not interested, fine, no harsh feelings on my part.

It is not miss understood. It’s a very clear request. I understand the issue. Again, I’m not arguing against the feature request, but you seem to think I am.

I could be wrong, but…
are you guys talk about two different things? Right now you can group automations into folders, true, but with it you loose the ability to edit them in UI, while andy maybe thinks grouping in UI interface.

I like UI more, too. Yes, maybe you have less control, but on the other side it’s more easy to understand to those of us who are not “natual programmers”. It’s way easier to select item from drop-down list than to “recall from the head” what command to type…

We are talking about the same thing. This feature request is only about automation organization in the automation page of the UI. I.e. giving Configurations → Automations more organization.

All I was simply doing is pointing out that you can filter the list with a dropdown just like you are saying, but it only filters off area, device, and entity_id.

Then the other user decided to berate me for pointing out a feature that many people do not know about.

So, for the last time, I’m simply pointing out a feature that already exists that can help people group and organize automations from within the UI. I know this does not satisfy the feature request, I’m not looking for a quick solution and an easy way out.

4 Likes

I would like to see it as folders (which would really be files) as the grouping. Be allowed to drag an automation from one folder to another. This would be needed if you duplicated an automation and renamed it and changed a few things to do automation in another location. Have the ability to collapse and expand the folder with the default being collapsed. The folder names for me would be First Floor, Bedroom, Kitchen, General, etc.

3 Likes

I’m going to chime in with my two cents. I am a brand new HA user, still playing with it and learning, and I come from a more than 10 year HomeSeer environment. In HS, the “events” are in groups with arrow-style expands to make it a lot easier to find the event you are looking for. The workaround I’ve been doing in HA, although basic, is to prefix each automation with a name like “Daily timed events” and “Garage” so that in the list they are grouped together in a section to make it easier for me to find things. Of course I know there’s a filter & search feature, but I’m used to going through grouped sections.

Here’s what my “events” page looks like in HS as an example:

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your input, I fully understand that this does not meet the requirements of the feature request - BUT it is also something I was unaware of, and will definitely help me find the right automation, especially since I can select the entity_id that has done something weird and led me to try and remember which automation it is that acts on that entity.

2 Likes

I struggle with this too.

Just to be clear I’m not dealing with an x/y problem:

I have an Aqara Opple switch. It has 6 buttons and each button has single, double, triple and long click. Would I need 24 “root” automations to use it or is there a better way?

Another HomeSeer user here. I’ve only moved about 1/8th of my automatons over and the HA sections ‘Automation’ and ‘Helpers’ are already starting to get out of control.

Some organization structure to these sections of the GUI would help a lot IMO.

I would love to see a nested folder solution for the 4 sections automation/dashboard, scene/dashboard, script/dashboard and /helpers