HA Companion app for Android Automotive

Would it be possible to make the Android app available for Android Automotive?
Polestar is the very first (and only at this moment) that uses Android Automotive (NOT Android Auto). and I happen to drive one :slight_smile:
Would be nice to have it in the car on the tablet. Although I can already controll most of my appliances through the Google Nabu Casa integration.

Thx

P.

We are in two now ā€¦certainely more.
Thx

The Renault MĆ©gane E-Tech Electric, Volvo XC40 Recharge P8 AWD, Volvo S90/ V90/ V90CC and the Volvo XC60 are also already in the boat.

Whether Home Assistant Companion for Android will be available for Android Automotive depends very much on the car manufacturers and whether they make Google-Apps and the Play Store available on their implementation of Android Automotive or limit it to only their own apps (as i.e. Volkswagen is planning to do). Little the HA devs can do about this.

I can confirm that, at least Polestar, offers a full Play Store. Everything depends on developers to make apps available or not.

P.

For developers you can find everything you need here:

Developer Portal - Get started (polestar.com)

I think that in a short time there will be many vehicles with Android Automotive (not android Auto).

Thanks

Iā€™d like to add my voice to this request. HA Mobile on Android Auto would be a fantastic addition.

Here we are talking about Android Automotive (car OS) and not Android Auto (Android App).

I understand you are discussing Android Automotive, however what would be the difference? If you have access to the Play store then an Android Auto compatible HA app should be usable. So this brings us back to the need for the HA app to be Auto compatible.

Is the want to an HA Android Automotive app, because you do not have access to the Play store or am I missing something?

On the Polestar, do they have access to GameSnacks or Youtube while parked?

+1 for Android Auto Compatibility.

Here in the UK most of the modern day cars have android Auto capability, I owned a focus ST which was around 5 years old and could access appā€™s on the screen on the dashboard, I now own a 3 year old Volkswagen Golf and can access apps on the screen of the car rather than having to open the app on my phone. In the UK its illegal to operate a phone when driving.

I can access Samsung smart things via android auto on screen, it allowed me to turn devices within smart things on and off. would be very nice to be-able to have the same functionality with HA where you can display your love lace dashboards.

The difference is that Android Automotive is an independent OS that does not connect with the smartphone. Applications must be formatted for this platform. The same as for android TV, not all applications are available if not formatted for the platform.

2 Likes

I just got my Polestar 2 yesterday. I installed the Vivaldi browser on it and opened my HA from there no problems. But Ć­ would really like to see some polestar data in my HA, such as state of charge, climate and doors ( as in the rather lean polestar app )

4 Likes

Iā€™ve got a Polestar 2 due any day now and keen to be able to be able to natively utilise HA on the Automotive OS as well.

Taking a look at Android for Cars docs Android is focusing on media, navigation, and messaging applications. With that in mind it may be better to work toward manufacturer API support, ie Polestar API support.

PS I bought a Polestar yesterday, so definitely dreaming of better Home Assistant integration, but trying to be realistic :grin:

1 Like

that is not android auto, but a different feature request for a polestar integration :wink:

2 Likes

I saw that :grin:

I made a dashboard in HA for my Polestar and load it in Vivaldi. Itā€™s pretty irritating because I have to back out of the driveway, come to a COMPLETE stop, open Vivaldi, refresh the browser (which can take a few seconds), just to see the dashboard.

An HA companion app should allow me to tap buttons while the car is moving, and update states in the background.

1 Like

Also want to see an android automotive app

@patrick3 @Tamsy Just to resurrect this as it is obviously going to be an ongoing want for many car owners, and to clarify a couple of thingsā€¦

AAOS is now standard in a great many cars, in terms of Volvos, all models now. Iā€™d imagine the same is true or will be shortly for other manufacturers who have declared their intention to use it, e.g. Ford. Obviously Polestar, Renault are out there now. It certainly isnā€™t going to be niche!

You are both right in terms of who gets to decide whether we get an AAOS app for HA.

Without the app being developed by someone in the HA community it obviously isnā€™t going to happen. The app will though have to fulfil Googleā€™s requirements to reach the AAOS Play Store.

However, once developed, the manufacturer curates their own instance of the main Play store and can publish (or not) any of the AAOS apps available within the main Play Store.

This isnā€™t necessarily an issue however, as some apps available on Volvos in the Play store are pretty sketchy/low quality (or donā€™t even work!), and Iā€™m quite sure any HA app would pass the quality/functionality test.

Some other things to consider:

1. YouTube and the Vivaldi browser are (I believe) available on Polestars but not on Volvos (grrr, you can tell which I drive!). Iā€™ve heard that may be due to work needed to customise the apps for the specific screen size, but whatever the reason (business decision, licencing etc), availability of some apps for different brands and cars will differ.

2. Google define various rules which amongst other things prioritise their view on safety - e.g. what can be done whilst the car is being driven, what happens when the car starts to move whilst a video is in progress etc. Iā€™m sure HA can conform to these rules.

3. Manufacturers may have their own criteria - for example Volvo prioritises safety, so may have a slightly higher bar for e.g. avoiding driver distraction.

4. There are also going to be one or two manufacturers who use AAOS but not the Play Store - those cars will not get HA unless those manufacturers decide to make HA available (and I donā€™t think they will do that until the app exists for AAOS cars with the Play Store), so that is likely a subject for another day.

Iā€™d suggest none of these are reasons for waiting before developing an HA app - if certainty was required in any of these areas, you would never get it. Until an app exists you wonā€™t find out what obstacles will be thrown in the way by Google or car manufacturers.

If however a ā€˜safeā€™ app were to be made available, with limited but appealing functionality (even just a single dashboard with a number of user-defined buttons, but ideally with the ability to report e.g. location and other useful data in the background) progress could be made on becoming a part of the AAOS ecosystem.

If someone were to volunteer to develop this app, a good start might be to survey what people would like to be able to do/see via their car.

Thereā€™s some developer info here: Overview ā€“ In-car apps | Volvo Cars Developer Portal

N.b. the FAQ states ā€œYou can currently build Media Player apps that can be distributed through the Automotive Play store. Android Automotive OS includes a set of APIs that handle playback and browsing experiences for media apps in cars.ā€. This seems misleading or out of date. Other types of apps can be built, as they are available in Volvoā€™s Google Play Store. In addition they link to sample projects by Google, which have a variety of functionality.

2 Likes

Looks like Google is now accepting apps for IoT

2 Likes

Iā€™ve managed to port the Android app and run it in my Polestar.
However, there is still a very long way to go before it can be released to the public.

Google/Polestar has strict requirements about how the UI should look and how the app can operate, it will take a lot of extra work to fulfil all of those requirements.

2 Likes