HA NeoPool MQTT: integration of Tasmota NeoPool (for Sugar Valley, Hayward/Aquarite, Bayrol devices)

We know from previous experience that the M5Stack doc is not always 100% correct in this detail, right?

But it should be noted here that the serial designations RX and TX must always be viewed from the respective perspective of the function of the device - so a possible mix-up cannot always be ruled out.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply. Package has not been delivered yet. Iā€™ll check if docs are wrong once I have the base.

Thanks.

@curzon01 I received the Atom RS485 base today: plugged in the Atom Lite and configured Template GPIOs like this:

And this is the official PinMap by M5Stack:

Anyway, it works. :slight_smile:

This is the template I see from console, does it look right (I mean, itā€™s working so I assume itā€™s correct)?

15:08:27.669 CMD: template
15:08:27.678 MQT: stat/SmartPool/RESULT = {"NAME":"NeoPool Atom Lite + Atom RS485","GPIO":[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,6976,0,1,7008,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0],"FLAG":0,"BASE":1}

@alexdelprete

That is all correct, your template and the PinMap:

• NeoPool Tx is the GPIO (here 19) on which data is sent from the Atom Lite. Therefore the setting on the Atom Lite and description ā€œNeoPool Txā€ within Tasmota is correct.
  • PinMap describes the view from a Atomic RS-485 Base connected to a Atom Litte: From this point of view this is Rx, as the Atomic RS-485 Base ā€œreceivesā€ the data via this, where it is then called Rx. The PinMap shows this correctly, Rx from the RS-485 Base is connected to GPIO19 of an Atom Lite.

As I said, the terms Tx/Rx alone donā€™t mean anything and the confusion arround them is as old as the serial interface itself - you always have to write down from which point of view Tx and Rx is meant.

PS: Your water is too cold :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I knowā€¦I remember the good old days of modems serial interfaces, RS232C etc. but at that time there was consistency: each device documented TX/RX from the device point of view, like M5Stack did now with this PinMap. The problem was only the Tail485, they reversed that. :slight_smile:

Tonight it freezed, temperature reached 1Ā°, and after 7 hours it was almost 20Ā°. But nobody is using the pool.

BTW: The pump likes cold water. :smiley:

Another installation success here. Yesterday I received the Atom Lite and Atom RS485 and it worked like a charm.

Is there any possibility to autodiscover entities by Tasmota integration?

If there was, I wouldnā€™t have made this packaged integration. :slight_smile:

I discussed this with @curzon01 (heā€™s the neopool driver dev) before moving ahead.

Anyway, a package with mqtt sensor is already madeā€¦pretty easy to setup, right? You also have a lovelace card already made. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@MikelillOi if youā€™re curious, you can read the genesis of this integration in this discussion, where it all started: NeoPool - Home Assistant integration Ā· arendst/Tasmota Ā· Discussion #19811 Ā· GitHub

1 Like

Hi all,

This project looks great. Iā€™m currently using NeoPool on Tasmota V12.3.1 on a ESP8266. Itā€™s connected to my Iobroker system but Iā€™m now moving everything to HomeAssistant

Couple of questions:

1. I understand I need to upgrade to a newer Tasmota version which will include the new NeoPool features requiered for HA integration - correct?

2. Which Tasmota version should I upgrade to - is v13.4.0 ok ?

3. Will this version already include the NeoPool ā€˜moduleā€™ ? Or do you still need a custom build to include NeoPool?

4. Will my ESP8266 still be supported ? I see you guy are using an Atom Lite

Many thanks for your help.

From your questions I can say with a high degree of confidence that you didnā€™t read the OP of this thread. :slight_smile:

Read it carefully, all your questions will find answers there.

for tl;dr

It is recommended to use the latest version of Tasmota with NeoPool module, as only this includes all the features described in the documentation.

Thatā€™s the current one, yes.

You always need a custom build. As the doc already describes at the top ā€œThis feature is not included in precompiled binariesā€ - this also applies to the current Tasmota

Yes, NeoPool supports both chip types. However, some enhancements are only possible using a more powerful ESP32, but the base functionaly also works using an ESP8266.

Anyway, since for ESP8266 you need the additional RS485 interface and a 5 V/3.3 V power supply and the ā€œAtom Lite + Tail485ā€ package is sometimes cheaper, compact and easier to connect, it is hardly worth using an ESP8266.

Bad advice for new users. :wink:

I used both, and the version with the Atom Lite + the Atomic RS485 base is a better package, more compact. If someone has to place an order, I would advice the Atomic RS485 base vs the Tail485. Functionally thereā€™s no difference, but itā€™s a better package.

thanks for your help . Sorryā€¦but you are wrong - I did read your OP multiple times and even the stuff on your Github repository - maybe not too carefully enough :wink:

Also I wasnā€™t sure what

Next stable release (after v13.2.0 , current stable version) should contain it.

exactly means. Thatā€™s why Iā€™ve asked the questions regarding the need for the custom build.

@curzon01 thanks for answering all my questions. Iā€™ll give it a go with the new Tasmota version.

And, yes I fully agree regarding your recommendation for the Atom Lite + Tail485. This definitely looks like a much better option than what Iā€™m currently using to connect to my SugarValley device. So I might upgrade that as well

no, you are wrong. you just wrote ā€œmaybe not too carefully enoughā€. So you didnā€™t read it, you just gave a look and asked questions. Reading is not enough, you have to understand what youā€™re reading.

Glad to help anybody who puts the work in. :wink:

I recommended the Atomic RS485 base more than the Tail485. Check my last post.

Ok, thanks. Iā€™ll order the Atomic RS485 base.

I have additional sensors on my Tasmota with NeoPool. With the Tail485, on the other hand, you can always plug an additional adapter board onto the Atom Lite. This is not possible with the ATOMIC RS485 Base.

If you donā€™t need an extension, you can certainly use this combination, but as always it depends on your own application.

that is true, but my advice is for standard use cases. itā€™s worth putting a note in the readme though, itā€™s a good advice.

@Danton73 and here are a couple of options for your single-port rs485 issue, so you will be able to connect both the display and the Atom. One is a cheap unbranded version, the other is a known brand, I have used their products in the past (WaveShare) and never had issues.

Hello, I think I need a little help. I have an Atom Lite+Tail485. It is flashed and configured including the MQTT. I can also see all the info on the home screen. Unfortunately, it does not appear as a device in the MQTT in Homa Assistant.

I have probably forgotten some point

thx

Read and exec the steps from Manual configuration steps above