HA Not Exposing Devices Externally via HomeKit Integration…

I use HASSBridge to integrate HomeKit which is connected to an AppleTV but it only works locally. My HA setup consists of DuckDNS & NGinX which provides Cloud for HA but not working with HomeKit outside my network. Does my ApplyTV need some special instructions via HA to expose devices externally with HomeKit?

There is no special configuration on HA side needed to expose HomeKit externally.

Is this AppleTV listed in your Home App (the native HomeKit controlling app from Apple) as a home hub? Does it show the status “conntected”?

You can find further information on the following Apple support page:

Thanks for the response, Everything is fine on HomeKits native side. All of my devices are available remotely via HomeKit except the device (Alarm) that’s integrated via HA. Ive been using HomeKit for several years remotely without issues so I think it’s something on HA side.

Unfortunately I do not use alarm entities in HomeKit. But I just added one alarm entitity from HA to the HASS Bridge and I was able to control it externally. So I dont think that there is a general issue about Alarm entities.

For further troubleshooting I would try if other entities from HA work in HomeKit.
Did you try to forward any other entities (a switch for example) from HA to your HomeKit setup?
Are they available externally?

Ok. I added several devices additionally to the HASS Bridge to HomeKit & while they all worked while I’m on on Wi-Fi, all of them were not available remotely. With that in mind, all native HomeKit devices are working perfectly remotely via my AppleTV.

For what it’s worth here’s my yaml file…

I’m sorry I don’t know what’s wrong with your system but I can say that I’m exposing devices, including an alarm, to HomeKit and it works perfectly when I leave the house.

Thanks,
Anyone else with input on why HA devices integrated via HomeKit is not available remotely even thought AppleTV hub is providing all native HomeKit devices remotely?

When you say “it works perfectly”, are you referring that you can access it remotely via HomeKit?

Yes. Absolutely

Hello,
I’m still trying to figure this out, how are you connected to the cloud. Nabu Casa, DuckDNS etc…

It doesn’t matter how you connect your Home Assistant to the cloud. In fact, you don’t even have to expose your HA to the cloud. All you need is a HomeKit hub (AppleTV or HomePod) and your Home Assistant running the HomeKit integration and attached to your Apple home and your external connection will run through iCloud.

The HA to HomeKit hub communication is all LAN so it’s the Hub that talks externally.

Yeah, that’s what I can’t get over. My appleTV exposes everything externally except HA HomeKit Integrations.

I’m sorry. Not sure why. Have you tried starting from scratch?

No. I’ll try that now

How do u delete everything to start from scratch?

In your apple home? You could just delete it and start again.

There’s also this profile but it’s the nuclear option:

Sorry, I’ve done that several times In HomeKit. I was speaking of wiping HA & restarting HA again. I know I can just wipe the SD Card but was wondering if there was a way to start over via HA settings instead?

No, you have to re-flash the SD card.

Pretty sure HA will make new config files if you delete the existing ones.