HA on VirtualBox constantly freezing entire VirtualBox service on host

I have Linux Mint 22 running VirtualBox 7.1.0 on a Dell Optiplex 3050.

I am currently trying a reinstall of HA because it has become very bloated over the years with half finished projects and non-working integrations which I thought was the cause of the freezes.

However even with a new VM image HA will seemingly freeze up and become unresponsive after a short time. So much so that is crashes the entre Host’s VirtualBox Service.

So it’s not that HA crashes and I have to reset the VM. I have to either kill VirtualBox services or reboot the Host because even the VirtualBox interface has become unresponsive.

Now after I installed Zigbee2MQTT it now locks up as soon as it boots. Web interface never becomes ready.

I can watch HA boot and it reaches the Supervisor start-up message, it will appear to have booted. However I can watch the console cursor blink very irregularly until it just stops. from then nothing happens and HA has locked up. Virtualbox interface seems to still be working at that time. I can still ping the VM, but HA is still unresponsive. When I issue a reset through VirtualBox, then even ping stops and from there the VirtuaBbox interface also hangs. Nothing actually happens and I have to reboot the host.

the logs do not seem to be very helpful either. other google searches only relate to HA crashing, but not VirtualBox itself.

I have already purged my Host of VirtualBox and reinstalled it fresh. Otherwise my host machine doesn’t do anything fancy apart from run other docker containers. It is also not USB related as the VM hangs even if I disable USB.

I am at a loss. at this point I cannot even run HA at all now.

On linux use qemu and virt-manager

Thanks, I will try that, and if everything is stable I will call this the solution.

it is working so far.

Same issue here with HA using Oracle Virtual Box on a dedicated Win10 i3 NUC. I just started with HA from Vera and wondering if I should have chosen Hubitat because how to run automations on something that freezes and becomes unresponsive regularly? Hopefully this will be fixed soon. I’m also sometimes greeted with this issue too:

On windows, use VMware instead of virtualbox

I suppose I need to back up and then restore from the SSD, a USB drive or network drive but how to find the backup file?

Just use chipset ICH9