Hacking LED Floodlight

@Sethkins - apparently MiLight makes one like this that might work with the HA component for Milight/Limitlessled - see here -
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Smart-WIFI-LED-Lamp-RGBW-flood-light-10w-30w-50w-dimmable-floodlight-spot-ceiling-refletor-focos/400805_32409864585.html

hope this helps/gives ideas!

I did actually, thanks for asking!

I basically brought the cheapo 10W RGB units (from banggood) and opened them up. I cut out the combined power supply and IR control unit and put those in the bin. That left me with the housing and the RGB chip itself.

I than bought 10W 12V led power supplies and the little Magic Home Arilux Chips that are based on ESP8266. I reflashed these using firmware from another thread here on HA, and hey presto I had HA compatible MQTT control. I set up each of my 6 lights subscribing to an identical topic and they now act as one through the HA front end or via Alexa.

I’m very happy with the solution.

2 Likes

@SethKins - thanks for taking time out to respond! Would you be willing to post a pic or two of what you did? I’m very curious to pull of a similar thing. Maybe a parts list/links to the items you use dif you could - it would be very helpful if you could. A shot of how they look on the house would be cool too if I’m not asking too much.

Thanks again for the feedback!

I can do that - text, photos and links. Give me a few days…

2 Likes

@SethKins - Thanks so much - I’ll be watching for your post - thanks for taking time out to help!

@SethKins - just pinging you to see if you had any luck putting this info together - still looking forward to it! Thanks for the help!

@vexter0944

SINCERE apologies for the length of time I have taken to get to this. House move, wife going back to work (leaving me with two toddlers) and a few other bits and bobs conspired against me.

This is the first time I’ve ever attempted a guide, so please bear with me. I am happy to take questions and clarifications.

This hack comes with mains voltage working, please take appropriate care

This is the basic unit. Available from eBay, Bangood, GearBest and all the usual places:
https://www.banggood.com/10W20W30W50W-Waterproof-IP65-RGB-LED-Flood-Light-Outdoor-Garden-Security-Lamp-AC85-265V-p-1110425.html?rmmds=search

I went for the 10W unit, as I am looking for effects, not “task” lighting. Pick your poison…

Take the front off and you have basically the controller/power unit, LED chip and IR receiver. Cut out the electrics leaving;

I wired a 7.5Ohm 3W resisitor in series with the red LED line. I am no expert, but I did a little reverse engineering on the controller and also tried to find the specs on the LED chip itself to work out appropriae power supply. The red line needs a voltage drop (you MUST use a constant voltage supply, not constant current, for this project) and the 3W derives from that aspect. No resistor on blue or green).

After frying two controllers by using variable V LED drivers I worked out my stupid error and settled on this 6W 220v-12v supply. It is plenty bright enough for my needs! Also, it has the advantage of being able to fit without removing it from its case, which when dealing with a metal light fitting and mains voltage is good news for me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222301453440?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&var=521139843634&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The controller for this project is this one, with custom firmware flashed to give MQTT control. I have multiple lights pub/sub to the sane topics so they all act as one. I have no need to control each one differently.

https://www.banggood.com/ARILUX-AL-LC01-Super-Mini-LED-WIFI-Smart-RGB-Controller-For-RGB-LED-Strip-Light-DC-9-12V-p-1058603.html?rmmds=search

I went for the base model LC-01 as it fulfills my needs, There are others (RGB+W, IR controllers, RF controllers) depending on what you want and need.

I popped this out of its case as it is shorter without the cable exiting from the end, wrapped it in kapton tape and wired everything together.

Then it all goes back together and you are in business!

The link to the forum covering the LC-01 controller work required for this project.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/alternative-firmware-for-arilux-al-lc03-for-use-with-mqtt-and-home-assistant-rgb-light-strip-controller/6328

ANY questions please shout.

Once again, sorry for my tardiness.

John.

2 Likes

@SethKins -

THANKS for taking time out to put this all together! This helps a lot. I may have questions once I get going, but I think you’ve got a lot of the hard work out of the way. No worries on the timing of the post - we all have very busy lives - I know the routine well! I REALLY appreciate your effort in getting this back to us. Hoping to get into this very soon!

Attempting a similar project with the 10W RGB LED Floods. Instead of ordering more parts, I wanted to bypass the IR Remote, in an attempt to control the unit from an arduino. This will hopefully inject my own signal via the IR port.

From current research, I see that I need to send inverted signals to the IR port (send LOW instead of HIGH). Starting my testing now and recording of the IR Codes sent by the remote.

If anyone here has any suggestions or can offer up some advice, I’d really appreciate it. Right now just working on one unit and hope to expand using a TLC5920 where I can then control up to 15 units.

I’m curious, What’s your wifi range like considering you are burying it in a metal enclosure?

1 Like

I fitted 2 ubiquiti ac-lite access points in the house last year. I’ve never given my wifi a second thought since that moment, it’s outstanding.

You can buy the stated pair from us & apart from that we offer commercial indoor/outdoor LED lighting solutions at affordable prices. Explore our store here & place your first right now!

How do I connect your Hykolity lights to HA?

I just purchased a few of the 15w floods from Melpro and was looking to try to integrate these with HA. I am going to crack one open to see what options I have inside or try to record the IR signals of the remote and reproduce them with HA. Any more thoughts or help on this before I get started would be greatly appreciated. These are the units specifically that I purchased.

These work great with home assistant with the magic home addon:
Novostella 25W LED RGB Flood Lights, Smart WiFi Outdoor Dimmable Color Changing IP66 Waterproof Stage Ligh https://amzn.eu/d/0z3HCFL

Haven’t figured out a way to sync those with other led strips or rgb lights or use them to actually create sort of a light show

1 Like

@VimalO Got my Novostellas on full local control with DDP: Novostella Blaze 25W RGB Flood Lights Local Control w/DDP

I can control them with a WLED controller.

2 Likes

Awesome thanks for the mention @DesertBlade
Had a quick look at your article and I got a little bit scared. :slight_smile:

Will look again closely at it over the week-end and will check whether I want to take the leap!

Don’t think I have any ESP32 lying around though … did you make any photos of the wiring that you needed to change or no hardware change to make this workk?

The flash is all over the air and configured through the browser with OpenBeken. You do need a Linux computer with wifi, a raspberry pi would work. You could even do a boot from USB with on a laptop.

It only takes about 5 minutes per device, once you have all the pre-reqs figured out.

1 Like

Does the linux computer/ esp needs to be dedicated or just temporary for the flash?

How do you then control the animations of the floodlights?

The Linux box is just temporary for the flash.

For effects you need an ESP32 with WLED installed. The floods will listen for the DDP commands from it.

1 Like