HACS "add custom repository" in settings?

A couple of custom components (e.g. GitHub - DBuit/light-popup-card: Lovelace card to use as custom pop-up for light in homekit style) have documentation that state:

HACS installation: Go to the hacs store and use the repo url https://github.com/DBuit/light-popup-card and add this as a custom repository under settings.

Call me stupid, blind, n00b, whatever, but I can’t seem to find where these settings are? I can find options in the integration, but that’s it.

Go to the Integrations page in HACS and select the three dots in the top right corner. Select Custom repositories

5 Likes

Thanks a lot! How could I have missed this.

1 Like

I would agree that this need UX improvement. I had to search for the answer too.
Also, the URL field is too short, obscuring the category drop down.

1 Like

But the option is gone!?!?

1 Like

That option is still there. Make sure that you’re on the Integrations page inside HACS (if you can see your address bar it should say /hacs/integrations).

I suspect you are on the core Integrations page (/config/integrations) which is different than HACS.

4 Likes

It’s definitely there https://hacs.xyz/docs/faq/custom_repositories

Yes. You are right of course. I will try now to integrate HACS following the instructions.

I let you know the result.

HACS appeared in the drop list but doesn’t install. Going for trial 2😝

What to do if it doesn’t install as it seems?

Make sure that you’re on the Integrations page inside HACS

Okay…there is no “Inside HACS” to speak of, in my case. This morning, it was there. After a few reboots, it’s gone. No HACS whatsoever (except that it couldn’t be installed via notifications). I shouldn’t have to spend an entire afternoon troubleshooting crap that’s not even in my control.

The UX is f-ing terrible! Totally un-intuitive location, and breaks old documentation which tells you to go to Settings.

Once you get it to work, you paste your URL, press Add, and nothing happens. But it does actually add the repo…

3 Likes

If the option “Custom repositories” is gone missing and google also directed you to this thread, the fix is to Ctrl+F5 the UI again, which then makes the option “Custom repositories” show up.

Also if the “Add” button doesn’t do anything, it actually produced an error message in a place that you can’t see which is something like “repository exists in the store”. You then have to leave this whole thing and go to the normal store list, were now your special custom repository showed up and then it can be installed from there.

1 Like

I spent half a day looking for this fix. Grazie mille!

This isn’t working for me as of July 2022. Have custom repositories been removed? The FAQ seems to refer to an obsolete UI.

Yes. The procedure is obsolete.
You should first install the HACS repository following this instructions:

Then will find the repository “as an integration”.

And then if you follow the instructions you will add the repository as one of you existing integrations

The process is quite simple and takes 2 minutes.

Cheers!

5 Likes

The comment I was looking for. Thanks for helping me out!

well still a UI mess…
this results in:
This redirect is not supported by your Home Assistant installation. It needs either the Home Assistant Operating System or Home Assistant Supervised installation method. For more information, see the documentation.

I have the problem that I can’t add Custom repositories any more.
Path I go: HACS -> Integrations -> ... -> Custom repositories
This ends up in a window, where the ADD-Button is grey, and can’t be presses. See the screenshot below:
ÍBildschirmfoto 2023-03-04 um 17.25.22

What am I doing wrong?
How can I add new repositories?

2 Likes

This is currently (2023-04-18) correct, but the dialog ADD button is grayed out. I think this has something to do with the base system installation method, but it should be explained somewhere. And give another solution.