Hacs not showing up in integrations list

I have found other posts with similar issues but I still cannot resolve this. This is my first project so I expect there is an easy solution but for now I have been stuck for a few days. I am working on a new install, new PI with image created from https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/ 32 bit PI4 Model B. I have been able to install Samba and create a custom_components folder and place the unzipped hacs folder there. \192.168.5.211\config\custom_components\hacs After a reboot I still cannot find the HACS integration.image Is there a configuration required to make folders in my new custom_components folder visible?

2 Likes

Seems silly, but did you clear your browser cache? I didn’t clear it, but I did have to refresh a couple times.

21 Likes

Thanks for the quick solution. After clearing the browser it showed up as expected.

2 Likes

Thanks @Bruno_Dantas… had the same issue and the clearing solved it…

1 Like

so I have closed all browser windows, cleared cache/cookies refreshed a few times, but still not HACS in the Integration list… any other ideas that I may be missing?

2 Likes

Same problem here. I added the files to the appropriate folder, flushed caches, restarted HA but nothing changes.

1 Like

Same here. After uninstalling Hacs and rebooting HA, it’s gone!
Clearing cache did nothing. On other devices/browser same thing. No Hacs intergration whatever I do, I can’t get it back. Have followd this instruction but without any luck.
I have deleted everthing that contains hacs in the .storage folder. Got rid of the “custom component” folder. Checked all yaml files. Rebooted multible times.

1 Like

HI i had the same problem, the fix was simple enough but not that obvious, a homeassistant restart via the UI was not sufficent, i had to rebbot the whole system, then it worked.

3 Likes

Same problem here. My fix was that I had extracted the hacs.zip file with archive manager. I used P7zip instead and it resolved my problem.

I just want to share my experience installing HACS, as it may help others with similar issues.

I’m running HA as Container in a Docker setup that was created with IOTstack.
In my first attempt I logged on to the RPi as “pi” (user that owns the IOTstack Docker install). I then installed HACS using the following command, as described in the HACS install instructions

• wget -q -O - https://hacs.xyz/install | bash -

This created the “hacs” directory in /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant/custom_components/. This directory and everything inside belonged to owner “pi”, with read and execute permissions to all,
(drwxr-xr-x 12 pi pi 4096 Jan 6 15:58 hacs).
As homeassistant runs as “root” I did not consider this to be a concern.

But after clearing the browser cache, when I tried to add HACS in HA using Integrations -> Add Integration, HACS was not in the list. Also not after a HA restart and even a RPi reboot (just to be sure).

I then deleted the complete “hacs” directory that was created in /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant/custom_components/hacs, and started again.

So what worked for me

1. I ran a shell session in the homeassistant Container.
    This can be done in two ways:
    a) Easiest is to open a command prompt using Portainer.
    This automatically opens a shell in the /config directory.
    b) From the host shell, use the docker exec command to create a shell session in the container:
    docker exec -it homeassistant /bin/sh
  2. Installed HACS from the shell within the homeassistant container:
    wget -q -O - https://hacs.xyz/install | bash -
  3. Selected and added HACS from Configuration -> Integrations -> Add Integration. (This time I did not remove the browser cache).
    At this point I did not get the confirmation message that the integration was being installed, and also did not get the screen to accept the HACS usage. The errors (shown below) were logged in the HA error logs.
  4. I then rebooted the RPi.
  5. I then added HACS again using Integrations -> Add Integration, and this time I got the being installed message and then the “HACS Usage” confirmation.
  6. HACS was now in the sidebar on the left. I selected and opened it. I already was aware that the inital load would take long due to the Github throttling, but after waiting for more than four hours I restarted HA.
  7. I then selected HACS again, waited another hour+, and this time I at last saw the HACS Community Store menu.

Below: Error in the HA error log after first install attempt.

2021-01-06 14:11:52 ERROR (SyncWorker_2) [homeassistant.util.package] Unable to install package hacs_frontend==20201205162459: WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=4, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0xb4c26058>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name does not resolve')': /simple/hacs-frontend/
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=3, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0xb4c26298>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name does not resolve')': /simple/hacs-frontend/
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=2, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0xb4c266b8>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name does not resolve')': /simple/hacs-frontend/
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=1, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0xb4c264a8>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name does not resolve')': /simple/hacs-frontend/
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=0, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0xb4c267a8>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name does not resolve')': /simple/hacs-frontend/
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=4, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0xb4c267c0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name does not resolve')': /alpine-3.12/armv7/
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=3, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0xb4c26aa8>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name does not resolve')': /alpine-3.12/armv7/
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=2, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0xb4c26b20>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name does not resolve')': /alpine-3.12/armv7/
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=1, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0xb4c26f58>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name does not resolve')': /alpine-3.12/armv7/
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=0, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0xb4c26f88>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name does not resolve')': /alpine-3.12/armv7/
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement hacs_frontend==20201205162459 (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for hacs_frontend==20201205162459
2021-01-06 14:11:52 ERROR (MainThread) [aiohttp.server] Error handling request
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiohttp/web_protocol.py", line 422, in _handle_request
resp = await self._request_handler(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiohttp/web_app.py", line 499, in _handle
resp = await handler(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiohttp/web_middlewares.py", line 118, in impl
return await handler(request)
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/http/request_context.py", line 18, in request_context_middleware
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/http/ban.py", line 72, in ban_middleware
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/http/auth.py", line 127, in auth_middleware
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/http/view.py", line 129, in handle
result = await result
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/config/config_entries.py", line 136, in post
return await super().post(request)
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/http/data_validator.py", line 60, in wrapper
result = await method(view, request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/data_entry_flow.py", line 69, in post
result = await self._flow_mgr.async_init(
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/data_entry_flow.py", line 119, in async_init
flow = await self.async_create_flow(handler, context=context, data=data)
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 532, in async_create_flow
await async_process_deps_reqs(self.hass, self._hass_config, integration)
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/setup.py", line 343, in async_process_deps_reqs
await requirements.async_get_integration_with_requirements(
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/requirements.py", line 74, in async_get_integration_with_requirements
await async_process_requirements(
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/requirements.py", line 131, in async_process_requirements
raise RequirementsNotFound(name, [req])
homeassistant.requirements.RequirementsNotFound: Requirements for hacs not found: ['hacs_frontend==20201205162459'].
6 Likes

What a thorough explanation. Thank you.

I’m running HA Supervised on virtual Debian. I followed your steps (deleted the first hacs directory in custom_components and proceeded with commands). I used method “1.b)” and a new hacs directory is visible after reboot. However, the integration is still not showing up when I try to add it. If anyone has a possible fix, I’m all eyes and ears.

I added my user to the docker group and tried again (the first time was as root) and hacs is still not showing up in integrations.

@toreupfeet , just to understand your situation… you’re running HA using Docker, you installed HACS from within the homeassistant container, you deleted the browser cache, and now HACS does not show in the list of integrations when you want to add it from Integrations -> Add Integration ?

Just to cover that as well, did you restart HA and/or rebooted the HA server?

As comparison, should it be of any help to you, below is my /config/custom_components/ directory contents:

/config/custom_components # ls -la
total 12
drwxr-xr-x    3 1000     1000          4096 Jan  6 15:54 .
drwxrwxrwx    9 root     root          4096 Jan  8 21:23 ..
drwxr-xr-x   12 root     root          4096 Jan  6 15:58 hacs
/config/custom_components #

and the hacs directory contents:

/config/custom_components/hacs # ls -la
total 88
drwxr-xr-x   12 root     root          4096 Jan  6 15:58 .
drwxr-xr-x    3 1000     1000          4096 Jan  6 15:54 ..
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           790 Jan  6 15:54 __init__.py
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          4096 Jan  6 16:06 __pycache__
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root          4096 Jan  6 15:58 api
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          2996 Jan  6 15:54 base.py
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          4899 Jan  6 15:54 config_flow.py
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          3747 Jan  6 15:54 const.py
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           862 Jan  6 15:54 enums.py
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root          4096 Jan  6 15:58 hacsbase
drwxr-xr-x    7 root     root          4096 Jan  6 15:58 helpers
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           571 Jan  6 15:54 manifest.json
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root          4096 Jan  6 15:58 models
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root          4096 Jan  6 15:58 operational
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root          4096 Jan  6 15:58 repositories
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          3419 Jan  6 15:54 sensor.py
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          1543 Jan  6 15:54 share.py
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          1218 Jan  6 15:54 system_health.py
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          4096 Jan  6 15:54 translations
drwxr-xr-x    5 root     root          4096 Jan  6 15:58 validate
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root          4096 Jan  6 15:58 webresponses
/config/custom_components/hacs #

(user “1000” in the homeassistant shell translates to the linux host user “pi” )

Thank you for the reply. Like you, I started by following the instructions on the hacs website (ssh into HA). That created the directory but no integration was visible. I deleted the directory and followed the steps you provided. I don’t have Portainer, so I used method 1.b) from your post. A new folder was created. I shut down HA and closed my VirtualBox Debian. Restarted VirtualBox/Debian/HA. Cleared my FireFox cache and cookies. …got logged out from this forum (should have kept the cookies). The integration still doesn’t show.

I’d compare my directory contents, but I can’t figure out how to navigate to that directory via ssh. I’m glad you got things working on your end. I’ll take what help I can get here, but I spent just about all of yesterday staring at my screen and I need a break, so I will be away for a few hours. …so no pressure.

@JoFie I went back up to your earlier post and figured out how to get to the config directory via ssh. My contents appear to be the same as yours. I’m running Supervisor 2020.12.7 with Docker 20.10.1 (on Debian, via VirtualBox).

Oh, I don’t have the 1000 you have.

/config/custom_components/hacs # ls -la
total 88
drwxr-xr-x   12 root     root          4096 Jan  8 12:12 .
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root          4096 Jan  8 12:10 ..
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           790 Jan  8 12:10 __init__.py
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          4096 Jan  8 12:12 __pycache__
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root          4096 Jan  8 12:12 api
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          2996 Jan  8 12:10 base.py
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          4899 Jan  8 12:10 config_flow.py
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          3747 Jan  8 12:10 const.py
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           862 Jan  8 12:10 enums.py
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root          4096 Jan  8 12:12 hacsbase
drwxr-xr-x    7 root     root          4096 Jan  8 12:12 helpers
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           571 Jan  8 12:10 manifest.json
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root          4096 Jan  8 12:12 models
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root          4096 Jan  8 12:12 operational
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root          4096 Jan  8 12:12 repositories
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          3419 Jan  8 12:10 sensor.py
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          1543 Jan  8 12:10 share.py
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          1218 Jan  8 12:10 system_health.py
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          4096 Jan  8 12:10 translations
drwxr-xr-x    5 root     root          4096 Jan  8 12:12 validate
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root          4096 Jan  8 12:12 webresponses
/config/custom_components/hacs #

Edit: I sniffed around a bit and tried this, and it seems to have worked. HACS has been added to my sidebar and seems to be initializing.

added this to configuration.yaml

hacs:
  token: <github token>

Edit: It didn’t seem to fully work. I’m restoring from a snapshot and sitting this one out for a bit.

@toreupfeet, sounds like you are/were halfway there, at least it was recognized and running in your environment. Any error logs that could give an indication of the problem? It may also be interesting to have a look for possible errors in the “browser console” (Firefox, Chrome)

Why the restore to a previous snapshot, did you encounter any errors impacting other functionality at the time? Or you just wanted to clean up things a bit? You could also choose to just hide the HACS entry in your sidebar: click on your profile icon (bottom left), then edit “Change the order and hide items from the sidebar”.

But yes, it seems it’s early days for HACS, the install will surely get more stable over time.

The advantage of HACS is that it makes it easy to browse through the (registered) integrations on offer, but if you pick up something in a forum and/or know the Github repository, then you can also manually install the plugin with relative ease, as explained here.

@toreupfeet, sounds like you are/were halfway there, at least it was recognized and running in your environment. Any error logs that could give an indication of the problem? It may also be interesting to have a look for possible errors in the “browser console” (Firefox, Chrome)

I gave it one final attempt last night. This time, after the new HACS directory had been created, I restarted the server. Then, I opened Brave, cleared the cache, and tried the integration there. It worked. I didn’t think to check the FireFox browser console (and indeed didn’t know it existed). Thank you for the tip.

Why the restore to a previous snapshot, did you encounter any errors impacting other functionality at the time? Or you just wanted to clean up things a bit? You could also choose to just hide the HACS entry in your sidebar: click on your profile icon (bottom left), then edit “Change the order and hide items from the sidebar”.

I don’t understand HA quite well enough to know when I’ve left residue in dark corners, and where/how to find and delete them. So, I restored from snapshot to ensure things were tidy. Regarding the sidebar, thanks for that! That’ll be handy to know, going forward. I’ve bookmarked the instructions you linked to. Thank you. I’m basically a noob with a bit more curiosity than the typical tutorial-follower. I have a lot to learn, but I enjoy doing so, and I really appreciate your help.

The main reason I installed HACS was that I wanted to install this. It seems I have installed HACS correctly (there are no errors in the log this time, whereas there had been an error in the log when I tried it via the configuration.yaml entry in my previous attempt). Yet, I am unable to locate Monitor-App. If someone could help me locate it, I’d really appreciate it.

Great! Happy that you got it working, it justifies all the typing. I learned so much in the forum from other guys, that it is only fair to give back from the little that I know. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the steps and documented conversation. Is it safe to play back for everyone that you want to exec into the supervisor container and not the core? I have both running on my rpi (Debian x64) and want to be sure I’m installing HACS to the correct container. Here are my containers:

homeassistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:2021.1.5
homeassistant/armv7-hassio-supervisor:2021.01.5

Having the same problem :frowning:

I accessed the HA server using the ssh add-on as instructed in this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNQw--FCp24

Entered the following command in the terminal:

wget -q -O - https://hacs.xyz/install | bash

Got a confirmation that hacs had been installed.

I then cleared my browser cache and hacs still isn’t showing up. I’m a complete noob to this stuff so I have no idea what to try next :weary:

Edit: this resolved itself after I waited for about 5 minutes :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I was running into this issue (I’m on macOS running HA on Virtualbox) and what you mentioned magically worked for me! Thanks a lot!