HADashboard Tablet Hardware Options

I’m not really concerned about how fast it loads, but more how smooth the scrolling is. On the Fire tablet, it just isn’t very responsive when you scroll so you end up scrolling too far a lot of times.

this topic is about HAdashboard, and i can asure you that HAdashboard combined with a firetab 7 and fully isnt slow.

but then again, HAdashboard is about dashboards, which normally are not scrolled.

This is true, and I may have mistaken to for one of the threads about tablets for general HA frontend usage.

One word of warning to users

• HA dashboard runs on pretty low end graphics, even the android web server from 4.4.
  • if you want to move from HAdashboard to something else like lovelace, you might find that the really low end tablet you bought for HAdashboard no longer meets your needs.
  • Therefore choose carefully.

dont forget to mention that allthough HAdashboard runs on low end tablets, its not because it isnt capable of everything you can do in lovelace.

you can create a hadashboard that looks identical to every lovelace page.

its the way lovelace is build, that makes that it isnt working on low end tablets.

I’ll need some lessons on that!

any time. you can find me on discord :wink:
but dont wait to long with asking, because i am on my own now and my dashboard is changing away from the appdaemon one :wink:

Any good reason for this?

I was going to start with HAdash, but is there a better option?

nope i still think its the best thing available.

but i decided to improve it for my own needs.
so ill still use dashboard, but ill improve the code for my own wishes.

the result will be that i end up with something thats probably not compatible anymore.

1 Like

I’m new into Raspberry World. I would like to have a wall panel to see HA but I want it be stable. Should I stick with a RPi4 and 7’’ touchscreen for my Home Assistant? Many people here goes with old tablets… I recently bought my first RPi4 and want to have HA with Node Red.

Would I have same RPi4 to both HA and Media Center? I bought 1 TB SSD for my movies. Mostly 4K and Bluray. Anybody told me that I should seperate one RPi4 for HA and one more for Media. So three RPi4 for me?

your asking in the wrong topic.
this is about HAdashboard which is a part from appdaemon.

but to answer your questions anyway.

if you are building an home automation system you want that to be stable.
the best way to get it stable is to have a device that is dedicated to your home automation.
i wouldnt combine it with a media center.

the reason why people use old tablets, is because they have them anyway.
if you use HAdashboard as a wallpanel, that device doesnt need to do anything but to show a webpage. an old or cheap tablet (i use firetabs) are good enough for that.
they are also easier to mount on the wall then an RPI with a touchscreen.

so the cheapest, stable and most common way to go for you would be.

1 RPI for HA (and other automation stuff) that doesnt need a touchscreen.
1 RPI for mediacenter (also that doesnt need a touchscreen)
1 old or cheap tablet to put on the wall

3 Likes

I didn’t want to have to worry about batteries so I bought a PoE Android Tablet.

It has just arrived and so far is working ok, I am just starting my HADashboard Journey.

i hope you know that there is no difference between a tablet poe connected to an ethernet cable, and a tablet without poe connected to an usb wallplug.

Except the ethernet port is usually easier to hide.

thats true in some cases :wink:
with old houses with brick walls everything is difficult to hide :wink:

but in a lot of cases power is everywhere in the house(even the oldest houses), but ethernet is not everywhere available.

Horses for courses…

Ummm, no battery to fail or catch fire due to constant charging.

I have rarely seen a PowerPoint at face height in a house.

Just as easy to get a Cat6 cable down a wall as it is to get power.

As I am a licensed cabler I can run a Cat6 myself instead of paying an electrician to run a power point.

As I am running real cameras I already have PoE switches.

1 Like

i didnt look at it before, because it was called tablet. and even the tablets with POE normally have a battery that also gets loaded over poe.
but looking at it this has no battery, so its not really a tablet in my eyes.
this is a dedicated wallpanel.

the same goes for an ethernet output :wink:

that makes a difference. i would do both myself.

that makes a difference also.

So Moses didn’t deliver tablets down the mountain huh.

Not everyone is an electrician or willing to break the law.

Actually I have seen a large amount of houses with data (Ethernet is not a data outlet) outlets at height for phones etc.

not everyone lives in a country where it is against the law to do electrical work :wink:
sorry that i dindnt consider that others might have trouble doing it.

and i guess its all about the area where you live.
overhere its rare to have any kind of data outlets.
most common is 1 central point for phone/router and if you live in an area with cable there are cable points on places where TVs are commonly used.

Ethernet is rarely used at all.

sorry that i commented. i wanted to make you aware of something that is not there in your case :wink:

Let’s get back on topic. My response was to a question of what tablets people were using.

Likewise, not everyone is aware that you can buy a tablet which is designed to go on a wall, ie. no battery and other power options.