HADashboard Tablet Hardware Options

POE is not 5v, it is 24 or 48v. Those injectors are not POE.

yes, I understand. Thus I meant home made DIY PoE solutions to transfer power over wires, to simulate PoE technology. because the goal is the same - power remote devices using data cables.

Seems I have found a simple solution: to use 3 wires per line . This way it gives me 0.3 A charging current on this cable . This is pretty ok for this phone. Will it be enough for a tablet… will see when I obtain one.

Well they do not simulate PoE. The reason PoE can distribute a decent amount of power is because they are higher voltage, and thus can transmit more power at a given current, with less power wasted in the wire, and less voltage drop.

Don’t get me wrong, 5v injectors can be useful, but don’t confuse them with PoE.

There are tablet designed for a fixed mount (industrial, retail use etc) that have PoE built in. There are plenty of them on aliexpress.

Also if your wire is 0.22mm per strand, then it is about 31AWG - see second chart here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge. You have about 0.426 ohms of resistance per metre and you have 20 metres of wire (there and back again). If you put an ammeter on the delivery end you should get about 600mA at 5v.

At its thinnest Cat 5e is 26AWG, but most is 24AWG. These cables will have significantly less resistance - 26AWG is 0.133 ohms per metre and 24AWG is 0.84.

That is what I did. Without the cable - 1A; in the case A (as on the picture) - 0.12A; case B - 0.3A. the resistance of one pair of the wires is about 6 Ohms (maybe it is not exactly 10 meter but a bit less)

V=IR or I=V/R

So 5v running through 6ohm current should be 5/6= .83 amps. You are getting 0.12A. Something is introducing extra resistance.

Or am I going mad? Possibly. :slight_smile:

the formula is right. but in the circuit apart of wires there is another resistor - smartphone. That is why the cumulative resistance here is higher… Also, to make this circuit I used 4 WAGO Splicing Connectors (for the test) and I use solderless micro usb plug, which is also another resistor here - really not the best one I could find here. https://asset.conrad.com/media10/isa/160267/c1/-/en/1390717_BB_00_FB/image.jpg?x=600&y=600

does this still work, ive seen little updates or progress in the repositories?

Hi everyone!
I have an old tablet with 4.2.2 Android. I am having problems finding any software that supports my android version… I have tryied several but any of them does not allow me to login.

HAdashboard (appdaemon) should run on Android 4.

1 Like

wallpanel still works.

Ok I am trying couple solutions:

Wallpanel (I used a legacy version from github compatible with android 4.2.2 https://github.com/thanksmister/wallpanel-android-legacy/releases/tag/v0.8.4.7):

• It works with appdeamon (I dont really like this solution because I’d prefer using my lovelance dashboard.
  • I tried using wallpanel to directly log in in Home Assistant but I see a white screen after login.
  • Motion wake up does not work. My device was unable to wake up after auto standby; so I used an external App to achieve the goal.

Chrome browser:

• Was able to put in in full screen mode adding it to homescreen.
  • Here the problem is that when my device wakes up un motion, sometimes dashboard auto refresh and take some seconds
  1. Is there some kind of solution to remove navbar from full screen chrome browser?
  2. Is there any way to avoid auto refreshing from lovelance dashboard on chrome?
  3. Does anyone knows if there is a solution for me to make “Wallpanel App” working with my android 4.2.2 using lovelance dashboard??
  4. Is there any other better full browser compatible with android 4.2.2

maybe you should ask the question somewhere else, because this topic is about HAdashboard (appdaemon)

and i am afraid that using lovelace on an old android tablet will never be an ideal solution.
and using standby and wake up functions on its own is mostly a difficult thing. for sure on old devices.

Hi there!

I have the desire to set up a wall mounted tablet in my kitchen so that the family can all make use of the Home Assistant smart home features without having to use “she that shall not be named” my wife refuses to use the A word lol.

I searched the community for any threads that might have current June 2021 tablet and wall mount suggestions, but could only find old threads and have chosen to reply to this one that seems relevant and keep similar information together in one thread.

Please could anyone share their wall mounted tablet set ups and also please give the negatives as well as positives of your experience. Please include any preferences on the display method that you recommend for an easy wife friendly experience!

My current set up is a Raspberry Pi4 (8GB) with SSD hard drive which is super fast and smooth in operation! I have HA Supervised set up on Raspberry OS following @kanga_who excellent guide! (THANX @kanga_who ).

Looking forward to your useful advices!

Thnax
Chris.

hi chris.

this thread is about HAdashboard, which is a part from Appdaemon.
as a heavy use from HAdashboard i can tell you about that, if you just want homeassistant on a tablet i cant talk about that.

a wall mounted tablet doesnt really need much setup.

you buy a tablet, and put it on the wall.
then you open a browser and use any HA page or HAdashboard or another frontend for HA.

off course you can go a little more fancy and use a program like fully kiosk, which gives you a little more options.

HAdashboard is very simple. simple to create and simple to use.

if you want to please your wife, youll first need to investigate what she likes.
my wife loves this:

but your wife would perhaps find that so ugly, that she would throw away the tablet :wink:

1 Like

Hi and Thanx Rene for replying!

I have looked a little further in to this and think the tablet with fully Kiosk browser might be the best option for my requirements.

P.S. You were right about the wife’s preferences…she hates purple! But I’m glad that your wife got what she wanted :slight_smile:

there are a lot of dashboards on the internet.
just google for HAdashboard pictures and find out if there is anything there that she likes and work from there.
she doesnt need to like everything, but she then can give you clues about what she thinks is nice and what not.

if you decide to use HAdashboard and you need help with creating dashboards we are happy to help on our discord server.

Is there a way to speed up HAdashboard? Switching between dashboard takes several seconds which is really inconvenient when I need to access multiple things. Buttons react instantly, its just switching between dashboards thats slow.
I use Pi3B+ for kiosk. HA itself is on dedicated intel mini pc.

it depends on what devicetype you use to show the dashboard and what skin you use. (and what you put on the dashboard)
loading dashboards takes indeed some time. so besides optimising the device, and minimising visual elements the best way to make that it doesnt take to much time is by making sure that on the subdashboards are only things that you dont need regularly.

i hardly ever switch between dashboards. all that i need for normal use is on the main dashboard.

1 Like