Has anyone validated that the new hassbian image is good?

I tried 1.5.0 and had quite a few problems. Some of which I saw others post here as well. I’m trying the version before that now to see if it is just a bug with the latest image.

Thoughts?

HassOS and hassbian aren’t even close to the same thing. You should start your own thread.

Like what?

Home assistant will not automatically install. Rasspian installs fine and when it reboots it stops at a login screen rather than continuing the Home Assistant install. I watched the output on a monitor and it doesn’t even try to install it. I can override permissions and manually install through apt-get but that doesn’t seem to be right. The Hass.IO component and configurator are not installed then which makes installing SAMBA and other things much more difficult. Something just doesn’t seem right and I have gone through the install many times over.

This is intended on a hassbian install hassbian and hassio are very different.

1 Like

yeah, you installed hassbian. HASSIO is hassio, hassbian is hassbian. Hassio menu only shows up on a hassio install.

1 Like

I followed the instructions here:
https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/hassbian/installation/

Which tell you that you are installing Hassbian AND HASS.IO but I think i am only installing Hassbian per the links in the document. Where can I get a link to the Hassbian with Hass.IO?

Hassbian = standard rasbian image with scripts that auto run to install Home Assistant

Hass.io (on a pi) = a custom built operating system (HassOS) that runs docker. Two docker containers are installed. The first is a Hassio supervisor. The second is the home assistant container which runs the latest version of Home Assistant.

With hass.io you can install add-ons which are preconfigured containers that make it easy to setup things like samba, ssh and so on. You can do the same thing with hassbian but it requires a bit more manual work.

Follow these steps to install hass.io

Silvrr, Can you please take a look at the instructions in my link. Unless I am missing something that is supposed to be how you can install Hassbian and Hass. io in a single install. That is what I am suggesting is not working as described. I’m sure I can figure out how to install hassbian and then install Hass. io but he instructions here are directing everyone to a method that is not working.

I’m still curious if there is a link to hassbian with hass. io auto installer after.

Hass.io is not mentioned on the hassbian install page you pointed to.

What am I missing in this text? Isn’t this saying I should be able to navigate to the web interface of hass io?
After initial boot an installer will run in the background, this will download and install the newest version of hassbian- config and Home-Assistant, this takes around 10 minutes to complete, after it has finished, you will be prompted to login: hassbian login: . Installation is complete at this point. The default username is pi and the password is raspberry .

Open a browser on a device that’s connected to the same network as your Raspberry Pi and point it to Home Assistant at http://hassbian.local:8123. If you want to login via SSH, the default username is pi and password is raspberry (please change this by running passwd ). The Home Assistant configuration is located at /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/ .

Perhaps it is faq time https://www.home-assistant.io/faq/

To put it bluntly, no it doesn’t. It doesn’t even mention the word hass.io.

I believe you are using the word Hass.io to refer to Home Assistant. That’s the source of the confusion.

• Home Assistant = Home Assistant (can run on any machine that supports python)
  • Hassbian = Home Assistant AND Raspbian operating system (designed for Raspberry Pi)
  • Hass.io = Home Assistant AND HassOS operating system (designed for a variety of Single Board Computers and Intel-based computers)

Hassbian and Hass.io combine application software (Home Assistant) and a computer operating system.

Got it, thanks. So I am confusing hassio with home assistant names. Sorry about that. Let me try and restate the problem more accurately. When I follow the instructions on the hassbian page (so I have a linux operating system) I had expected that home assistant would kick off and install after. Right now all that is happening is that rasspbian is installing and stopping.

Is this what is supposed to happen?

I am intimately familiar with them and the general concept of hassbian vs. hass.io.

Negative, you don’t actually want to install hassbian and hass.io together. See the FAQ and my description of each above.

There are no instructions to do this, you wouldn’t want to. If you installed hassbian and then installed Hass.io (which is possible) you would have two instances running and run into all kinds of conflicts.

No.

No it says you can navigate to hassbian.local which is the homeassistant frontend.

Thank you, I realize I am using the wrong word and making a mistaking thinking the hass io tools would be on home assistant too. My issue, properly stated i hope, is that home assistant is not installing after rasspbian finishes.

OK. Let’s start with some basic troubleshooting.

https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/hassbian/installation/

If you find that the web page is not reachable after 30 minutes or so, check that you have files in /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/ , if there are no files in this location then run the installer manually using this command: sudo systemctl start install_homeassistant.service .

I followed the instructions on this post which got home assistant running.

I even had the same permission issues preventing the manual install.

But the same issues occur every time I try this. When i watched the boot screen I noticed that Home assistant doesn’t even try to install. So, what I was originally trying to ask was do you think there is something wrong with that image?

Not to even further confuse people, but this part isnt 100% correct.

Hass.IO is a specific set of docker images which contains and manages HomeAssistant as well as any addons. It can be run in a linux machine, server, VM, or anything else that can run Docker.

HassOS is a lightweight operating system meant to run on embedded systems like a RasPI and runs Hass.IO.

Hass.IO does not need to be used inside HassOS, and can be ran on any machine/computer/desktop with docker.

1 Like

You should report that as issue on the hassbian github project.